It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robotic Frisbees of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Robotic Frisbees of Death

Okay just LOVE that title

It ain’t easy, picking out evil-doers in the urban canyons of the Middle East; there are so many places to hide. Taking ‘em out can be even harder, what with all those noncombatants hanging nearby. But the Air Force thinks it might have an answer to this most vexing problem in counter-insurgency: frisbees. disc_uav.JPGNot just any frisbees, mind you. Robotic frisbees. Heavily armed robotic frisbees. The Air Force recently tapped Triton Systems, out of Chelmsford, Mass, to develop such a “Modular Disc-Wing Urban Cruise Munition.“ “The 3-D maneuverability of the Frisbee-UAV [unammned aerial vehicle] will provide revolutionary tactical access and lethality against hostiles hiding in upper story locations and/or defiladed behind obstacles,” the company promises.

defensetech.org...

www.tritonsys.com...

Once they catch up to the baddies, the drones will use a series of armor-piercing explosives, shooting jets of molten metal, to eliminate their targets.

TRITON SYSTEMS, INC.
200 TURNPIKE ROAD
Chelmsford, MA 01824
Phone:
PI:
Topic#: (978) 250-4200
Mr. James Gorman
AF 06-141 Selected for Award
Title: Modular Disc-Wing (Frisbee) Urban Cruise Munition (1000-844)
Abstract: Triton Systems, Inc. of Chelmsford MA proposes to develop a MEFP-armed Lethal Frisbee UAV, whose purpose is to locate defiladed combatants in complex urban terrain and provide precision fires to neutralize these hostiles with minimum hazard to friendly forces or bystanders. The 3-D maneuverability of the Frisbee-UAV will provide revolutionary tactical access and lethality against hostiles hiding in upper story locations and/or defiladed behind obstacles to direct observation and fire. The developed Frisbee-UAV system will be modular to provide reconnaissance, pursuit, and precision fire options to the lowest echelon units. Multiple UAVs can be air- or ground-launched from munitions dispensers or by means of a simple mechanism similar to a shotgun target (skeet) launcher. Both tele-operated (man-in-the-loop) and autonomous modes of operation will be provided, through wireless links to standard tactical data systems. Range, payload, and maneuverability will be tailored to the missions defined during requirements studies. The fuzing mode of the MEFP warheads will be controllable so as to provide a single large fragment (bunker-buster) or tailorable pattern of smaller fragments (unprotected infantry or light utility vehicles). The fuzing mode may be determined in real time by direct operator intervention or autonomous target classification routine built into the UAV.

dodsbir.net...

Multiple Explosively Formed Penetrator (MEFP) Warhead Technology Development

Abstract: Ads by Google Las Vegas Coupons 1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. It's like doing Vegas at 90% off! www.Groupon.com/Las-Vegas MEFP Warhead technology was initiated in the 1980's to provide a warhead that could produce many highly effective penetrators for the attack of light materiel targets. Previously, EFP warheads were designed to produce a single rod shaped or ball shaped penetrator for deep armor penetration. With the MEFP warhead concepts, the liner was designed and formed to produce many individual penetrators to attack light materiel area targets. Initial MEFP warhead concepts utilized a steel case, LX-14 explosive billet and a tantalum, iron or copper liner embossed or formed to produce the individual penetrators. Limitations: APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

www.stormingmedia.us...

PENTAGON’S FLYING SAUCER

Before the Pentagon decided that it wanted to stock soldiers’ backpacks with miniature unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, Defense Department researchers had a slightly different idea: give G.I.s their own flying saucers instead. mssmp3.jpgThe Multipurpose Security and Surveillance Mission Platform (MSSMP), flown from 1992 to 1998, used a ducted fan and a 50 hp engine to “cruise at speeds of up to 80 knots, for up to three hours, with a ceiling of 8,000 feet,” according to Helicopters​.com. Weighing at 250 pounds with a diameter of six feet, the MSSMP was meant to “provide a rapidly deployable, extended-range surveillance capability for a variety of operations and missions, including: fire control, force protection, tactical security, support to counterdrug and border patrol operations, signal/communications relays, detection and assessment of barriers (i.e., mine fields, tank traps), remote assessment of suspected contaminated areas (i.e., chemical, biological, and nuclear), and even resupply of small quantities of critical items,” its makers at the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center say. (These are the same wizards of robotics that put together the ultra-intimidating Robart III guard drone.)

defensetech.org...

Disc-shaped spyplane could hunt for terrorists

What looks like a flying saucer, takes off like a helicopter and flies like a plane? The next remote-controlled surveillance aircraft on the hunt for terrorist fugitives like Osama bin Laden, apparently.

Pilotless aircraft came into their own in the Afghan conflict, greatly reducing casualties in US Air Force and ground troops on both reconnaissance and attack missions. But today's uninhabited aerial vehicles, or UAVs, have big drawbacks: they need a runway, they are slow and they cannot hover. But a bizarre machine that aims to fix all these problems passed its first wind tunnel tests last week at Norway's National University for Technology and Science in Trondheim.

www.newscientist.com...

edit on 20-2-2011 by zorgon because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Just when you thought ultimate frisbee was safe........

Great post! These are certainly interesting times we live in. Straight out of science fiction...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If the disk shape makes engineering sense in an unmanned vehicle it must make sense potentially for a manned one. How long do you think I'll be able to fly London to New York on a disk? Would definitely be a commercial advantage if no runway was needed.
edit on 20/2/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Robotic frisbees of death? I had to click.

And the idiots in Washington spent how much on a half assed attempt at a fence along the border? Kick everybody in Washington out of the country and down to Mexico. Crap basturds.
edit on 21-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

SnF
edit on 21-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
No fooling.
I think Tesla already proposed the same plan to President Woodrow Wilson
and got rejected.

I think he kept on proposing the same plan till his death.
Check the government records.

There is nothing in flight and robotics that can top Tesla.
In fact his aircraft is up in the air 24/7 just as he planned before WWI.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Bump

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Have you spotted any more disk shaped flying vehicle patents or other plans recently? Surely they have found more potential commercial opportunities for disk shaped craft by now.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

As always bringing the most strange and interesting items to our attention
with your great skill of sniffing out the strange & interesting.

S & F

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Judging by the fact that there's no REAL pics of these things then I assume they have not actually made them yet.

Though I'm always amazed at how much the Government spends on better ways to kill people and at more cost per death..

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
ahhhhh f@#$. I just bought a new L.E.D frisbee and i gotta worry about this?

But seriously, it would be crazy to be sitting on your front lawn and have a frisbee sized drone fly up to you and land on your head with lawnmower blades underneath..........

scary stuff

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I saw a video... omg, maybe in the late '90s, of a frisbee-like device the size of a TV or large computer monitor. It flew using the same aerodynamics of a frisbee, guided by a small chip with programmed actions to go to a certain spot and explode.

The spinning disc is one of the most stable realms of flight. It's just that no one had yet figured out how to make it do more than do curves and boom-a-rang like returns. It was a one-way trip.

By now, who knows?
edit on 12-11-2011 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
These projects are given out for the 99% to work on or even planned and then dropped.
The 1% have all the Tesla machines they can handle without undoing all the projects
that are now allowed. World wide detection of earth activity as proposed by Tesla
must be done without the Tesla mechanical wave fronts.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
nice i hope to see more off this stuff here

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thanks for another amazing thread

WOW scarey indeed,

had an flashback to an old film, maybe not too many years in the future from now:

Freaky frisbees indeed.

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Looks like ultimate frisbe might need a name change if these badboys get made

ultimate fribe? Mines got knives and explosives haha!

top topics

join