It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gates Ups AIDS Donation to 150 Million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The U.S. refused to give any additional money to the United Nation's international AIDS fight, so Bill and Melinda are helping to pick up the tab. And additional donation of 50 million dollars from their foundation ups the total to 150 million dollars in the fight against AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis.

www.cnn.com
The Global Fund, set up 30 months ago, faces a major funding gap. Donors have committed a total of $3.4 billion through 2004, enough to meet its needs through the end of the year, but pledges for 2005 through 2008 are just $2 billion, far below the $3.6 billion that the Fund projects it will need in 2005 alone.

On Wednesday, U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator Randall Tobias rejected a call by the U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan for a $1 billion contribution in 2005, saying the money it has already given is sufficient. The United States has given about $580 million to Global Fund until now, and has proposed giving another $200 million for 2005.

"I think that's going to be more than adequate to meet the requirements of Global Fund in terms of getting the money out doors and programs in place," Tobias said in an interview.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have always had enormous respect for Bill Gates. He has an incredible mind for business, and knows how to pander well to consumers. I didn't say I liked him, but I definitely respect him.

This move by he and his daughter only increases that respect. It shows he is more than just a great thinker, he has a great heart.

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
His company probably spends more than 150 million on toilet paper each year.

Hey Its a good thing, but really when you have 40+ billion you should be able to HALT the spread of AIDS in some regions of Africa.

join