It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI urges Congress to expand Internet wiretapping

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

FBI urges Congress to expand Internet wiretapping

www.rawstory.com

The FBI urged members of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security on Thursday to update the Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) and make it easier for authorities to eavesdrop on Internet.

The act was passed in 1994 and requires telecommunication companies to design their equipment and services to ensure that law enforcement and national security officials can monitor telephone and other communications whenever necessary.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Is anybody else besides me getting absolutely TIRED of this nonsense?

Every time I turn around, there is some new call to expand snooping and spying on american citizens even FURTHER, as criminals at the highest levels continue to skate free and NEVER be investigated by these very same "surveillance" organizations.

And I'M SURE that Big Brother will give them EXACTLY what they want, since they seem to LOVE surveillance on everyone, as long as it doesn't include THEM. lol

What a joke.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

In all honesty, I could care less if anyone is listening to my phone calls or reading my emails, or whatever. If the FBI thinks I'm a person of importance, and they want to follow me around, so be it, I feel honored :-P .

But deep down, I know the FBI has no interest in any average citizen. This is more for people who are affiliated with organized crime groups, or suspected terrorism activities. Think about it. How many FBI/ federal agents are there? How many citizens are there? Are they really watching us all? I don't believe so. Certain groups of interest.

My good friends dad worked for the FBI. He was working on a case against the Pagan motorcycle gang in South Jersey. They couldn't get a tap on one of the members for some reason. If they got that tap, they would have confiscated a huge drug exchange, and put many members behind bars that week. But he never got the approval. (I'm going to have to ask more about this... I forget the details)

And nooooooooooo I am not a "disinfo" agent.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Yes all we can muster is Wikileaks and Anonymous for any hope at justice. Meanwhile the war criminals and billionaire thieves give each other awards for their patriotism and tear the constitution to shreds. Yea I'm pissed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I am absolutely getting tired of this nonsense. This ever increasing invasion into our lives is just disgusting. I have nothing to hide but at the same time it does not make it OK for them to intrude into my private life in this fashion. One would think that the provisions in the Patriot Act would be enough but noooooo.. here are some more intrusions on you. It's almost as if they (the government) are trying to heap as much onto us as they can possibly think to do.. just to see at what point we will collectively snap.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
that is what they want for us to snap not gonna happen

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92

In all honesty, I could care less if anyone is listening to my phone calls or reading my emails, or whatever. If the FBI thinks I'm a person of importance, and they want to follow me around, so be it, I feel honored :-P .

But deep down, I know the FBI has no interest in any average citizen. This is more for people who are affiliated with organized crime groups, or suspected terrorism activities.
[...]

This is the opinion of most Americans, and it does make sense. If I'm not engaged in highly illegal activities (highly illegal meaning something a little more important than smoking pot), why should I care if the government wants more power to go after criminals?

The problem is that historically, the FBI has been engaged in shady practices against people and organizations who aren't committing crimes or hurting people, but are threatening the status quo. I'm sure that the ATS audience is already familar with CoIntelPro, and I'd hate to give these guys increased powers when they already have more than enough powers to go after criminals.

They can issue a court order to the ISP, get a person's internet traffic, and issue similar orders to email providers and such if they need to. It sounds like all they're after is just less red tape in the process.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Don't worry man you're not the only one getting sick of it. They're just cornering the dog until it feels threatened enough to bite back. It'll allllll come back around to them eventually. Just a matter of time before their big heads get the best of them. Personally, I can't wait to see it happen

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well just to save the FBI time and energy, you dont have to spy on me on the internet. You can just read my posts on ATS. What you see is what you get.

Thanks for posting this, DD. Its not surprising in any way. Of course they want more power to spy on people, and violate our rights. They are the FBI. Lol. I just cant wait to see how Congress handles it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
As processor technology becomes faster and is implemented in more ways, the ability for agencies to snoop is going to decrease, as much as they may fight it.

Encryption can be utilised by more and more people, eventually there will be a divide, anyone who wishes to hide their activities, even if they are the most mundane of tasks, will be able to.

Eavesdropping should only be utilised against criminals, NOT the public. We have the right to remain silent, and be listened to, of course.

Bastards.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I wonder sometimes where Government imagined it got the mandate and authority from the people to basically ignore the Constitution and throw out the window all in the name of protecting the people.

The Constitution was meant to protect the people from precisely what the government is now doing.

Spying on everyone and everything, spying on the people.

It's a comedy of justice, a tragedy, and a sad and sullen state for the once proud, and independent minded American people to so quietly surrender the freedoms that many fought and died to dare to believe in.

I wonder what it really says about us, when ultimately we don't do what we say, or even try, and thus don't even mean what we say.

We spend so much time telling and forcing and manipulting others around the world to dare to be free, to fight and die for it if need be, yet don't even think of attempting and doing it ourselves.

I can't help but wonder, is this truly what the people want?

Tis a sad thing when people can't even stand for their most basic principles.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The internet is the new frontier for law enforcement and like everything else, they have to find a way to get in and have avenues to to get information from. Law enforcement believes that they are entitled to have full access to anything for their own agenda. For once, I'd love to see the door slammed shut in their face and told to go jump off of a high cliff. I'm so tired and angered by the police state ripping away at our individual freedoms.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Maybe the government needs to have every law passed by a panel of ordinary people, selected randomly (like Jury duty) and if there is not a certain percentile in agreement that the bill should be passed, then it shall not be.

Of course, if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Cost of a surveillance camera plus worker monitoring it plus computer systems = ungodly expensive.

Cost of BB's = less than a penny...

Not that I am suggesting anything. But Big Brother beaten by BB's... has a certain ring to it...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox
Maybe the government needs to have every law passed by a panel of ordinary people, selected randomly (like Jury duty) and if there is not a certain percentile in agreement that the bill should be passed, then it shall not be.

Sounds like a good idea but ordinary people are pretty dumb. It sucks that we have to choose between bought and paid for politicians or a uneducated, fearful public. We lose both ways.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The 3rd branch of the gov is the judiciary.

For decades, the judiciary had no issues with issuing warrants to the FBI and police authorities, provided that they can prove those that needed to be spied upon are proven without reasonable doubts over their criminal activities that are detrimental to society. And the authorities should have no problem providing such evidences with their survelliances, cameras and other professional investigative techniques.

So why the need to appeal to circumvent the Judiciary by going to Congress?

Oops...I forgot...Congress are made up of morons whom side with Corporations.

Make such spying and invasion privacy legal for the authorities so that it would be easier to listen in to what political opposition figures or social activists are doing, attack them, render them ineffective so that their own legislative seats, power and wealth can be protected....mutual benefits, so screw the public.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
"Every time I turn around, there is some new call to expand snooping and spying on american citizens even FURTHER, as criminals at the highest levels continue to skate free and NEVER be investigated by these very same "surveillance" organizations."

G's been slowly (and very silently) chipping away our individual rights for as long as we've HAD them -- always looking for a loophole to "make their jobs easier" instead of actually doing their jobs..

The irony being, when the American public does the exact same thing, a la Wikileaks and similar small-time "leaks," the people who pioneer the leaks are hunted down and treated like enemies of the state, completely stripped of their rights, despite not actually breaking any laws!

So, to recap: G can ignore the rules and trample the essential rights that are the defining point of our so-called "freedom," but when John Q. Public legally and peacefully spreads information about G's wrongdoings, it's Public that needs to be punished.

Unfortunately, there are far too many citizens who say they don't mind their rights being violated because they aren't doing anything wrong, which only reinforces and encourages G.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ayoss

Every gov is the "old boys club", even Russia, as much as things have changed, many things are still the same as the days of the USSR.

I envision such a "panel" as a number of people, with a couple of outsourced experts, lets say the subject was an internet filter.. Standing by, would be an experienced senior computer technician and maybe a communications rep to explain the findings of tests and the gov plans.

Of course, this is an ideal world, this simply isn't something a gov wants..

*baaaa baaaa* thats better... sheeple..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox

Of course, if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

This is what used to be known as the American Judcial Branch of government. The judicial branch was supposed to protect the constitution and make the government yeild to it's limitations on power. No more.

Today's elite - citizens of the world - have decided they are above the constitution now and the courts agree that they are no longer restricted to the meaning of the constitution either. It's one big happy lawless family now.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
This is such bow log nah.
I guarantee the FBI employees want to find out the best free adult sites people use without putting in the legwork themselves.
So transparent and business as usual. Stay outta our stuff you nosy punks!! Seriously

top topics

<<   2 >>

join