It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Dept of Homeland Security shutting down video streaming websites and seizing domains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Found this info on another forum and thought I'd share it here - apparently the government is in the process of shutting down websites that stream sports and movies illegally.

Click on any of these well known video streaming sites and you'll find an interesting message from big brother:

www.channelsurfing.net...

atdhe.net...

www.firstrow.net...

This concerns me for a number of reasons. And I wonder if this is the first step before we start seeing forums like this shut down. Wouldn't shock me one bit especially with news that the all these revolutions in the middle east have their roots on the internet, specifically social networking sites and places like youtube that STREAM VIDEO.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

not surprising if it's just movies and tv shows. many, many entertainment companies have been trying to get government action to get websites like that shut down for quite a while, for obvious reasons. it's concerning, but i'm not willing to bark censorship until they do start shutting down websites like this.

it's also why you're starting to see ads on websites like hulu and youtube. they're trying to offset some of the costs of hosting copyrighted videos.
edit on 16-2-2011 by WilliamRikeronaSegway because: content

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What the hell has HLS got to do with web sites??? next they will be taking over public filming with video or camera phone......

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
What the hell has HLS got to do with web sites??? next they will be taking over public filming with video or camera phone......

This is exactly why I posted this and started the thread.

I understand the federal government has always been involved with piracy and copyright laws - after all everytime you watch a dvd you see that little blue screen before the movie starts.

But what concerns me is why homeland security has their hands in the cookie jar - this tells me that this is a preemptive move by TPTB to have an excuse to shut down social networking sites and other forums at their discretion and the timing isn't a coincidence either after what just happened in Egypt and what is happening in other mid east countries right now....

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I heard about them shutting down sites that offer free streams for PPV sporting events. I don't know if there are as many of those sites as there are those that offer movie and TV streams. It seems kind of like a wasted effort, as new sites are just going to pop up in their place. Also, copyrighted media goes up on youtube and similar sites all the time. I don't think they could kill a site like youtube without repercussions. People like their cat videos.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This was in the works BEFORE Egypt.
This is tryanny at its job.
This is the police atate you all say is comming....it here now!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

adthe.net was up and running just hours after the pre-superbowl shut-down. The network and satalite providers are worried about their piece of the pie.

I am glad to know that the department of homeland security is in the racketering business now. I wonder if charter or comcast paid money to DHS so they could get whack job done on freedom?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

DHS being involved would be a larger red flag, though, and i don't think they're that stupid. if they were really going as far as internet censorship, they wouldn't have DHS in on it. i agree, their involvement is odd, though, and does warrant question. good thing to keep an eye on, too, especially because of this "internet killswitch" that's been discussed, but as long as it sticks with taking down websites that are blatantly ignoring copyright laws, shouting, "INTERNET CENSORSHIP!!" is jumping the gun. i'd feel if they really wanted to take down websites they felt was a risk to their agenda, they would, and they wouldn't need to post that big sticker. after all, COINTELPRO didn't need a patriot act to wiretap without a warrant, why would this be much different?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sounds like Anonymous may have another job to do for us.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why is the DHS wasting time and money going after sites with just links on them and not the places hosting the videos.places like megavideo are the ones they should go after if they want any chance to make it harder for people to find illegal streaming videos.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join