It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare X-class 2.2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Solar Flare X 2.2

www.swpc.noaa.gov

Space Weather Message Code: SUMX01
Serial Number: 66
Issue Time: 2011 Feb 15 0233 UTC

SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded X1
Begin Time: 2011 Feb 14 0144 UTC
Maximum Time: 2011 Feb 14 0156 UTC
End Time: 2011 Feb 14 0206 UTC
X-ray Class: X2.2
NOAA Scale: R3 - Strong
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-2-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

X 2.2 begin and end times are incorrect:

Space Weather Message Code: SUMX01
Serial Number: 67
Issue Time: 2011 Feb 15 0244 UTC

CANCEL SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded X1
Cancel Serial Number: 66
Original Issue Time: 2011 Feb 15 0233 UTC

Comment: X-ray summary has the incorrect begin and end data. Should be the Feb
15, not Feb 14.

Also this:

Space Weather Message Code: SUM10R
Serial Number: 485
Issue Time: 2011 Feb 15 0238 UTC

SUMMARY: 10cm Radio Burst
Begin Time: 2011 Feb 15 0149 UTC
Maximum Time: 2011 Feb 15 0159 UTC
End Time: 2011 Feb 15 0224 UTC
Duration: 35 minutes
Peak Flux: 1300 sfu
Latest Penticton Noon Flux: 113 sfu

www.swpc.noaa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Magnetosphere looks like crap today. I hope it holds up. It is taking a beating.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
are you posting that we just had an x-class event, I don't so much as understand the technical jargon. But if so isn't that a bad thing???

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Alright, I've no idea what this means and it seems pretty complicated by just looking at that chart can someone elaborate or point me in the right direction for some online books or something to read please?

I've had so many nightmares as a kid that the sun was just destroying this planet. I've also had many nightmares that giant planet was right next to our's... hehe.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

X- class solar flares are the flares that can affect your sattelites and power grids. might loose cell phone service for a minute.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I guess I'm just a dumb ass. Can you tell me a little about what all this means in very simple english that someone like me can understand? Is it time to put on my foil hat or what?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SunTzu22

that being said an x class 2.2 is that large enough to actually effect our way of life enough for the gen. pop. to take notice. Will this mean I can see the northern lights from my local (southern BC) and when would the last time be that we had an event like this. I am assuming x class are fairly rare???

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Basically, it is a big (ok, very big), solar flare that can mess up communications and knock down energy grids:

A solar flare is an explosion on the Sun that happens when energy stored in twisted magnetic fields (usually above sunspots) is suddenly released. Flares produce a burst of radiation across the electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves to x-rays and gamma-rays.

Scientists classify solar flares according to their x-ray brightness in the wavelength range 1 to 8 Angstroms. There are 3 categories: X-class flares are big; they are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms. M-class flares are medium-sized; they can cause brief radio blackouts that affect Earth's polar regions. Minor radiation storms sometimes follow an M-class flare. Compared to X- and M-class events, C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth.

Each category for x-ray flares has nine subdivisions ranging from, e.g., C1 to C9, M1 to M9, and X1 to X9.

We already have an M-class on the way: 5.5 due to hit tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It looks like noaa cancelled it? I didnt see anything on other sites. Anyone else?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
For an X isn't wasn't a huge X. An X flare never the less. I doubt we have notice as yet of how long it will take to reach earth but is usually within a couple of days. I don't want to frighten anyone but the possibility of loosing a satellite or a portion of the power grid is possible, Keep matches, flashlights, etc whatever you would need for a lights out event.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I heard them talking about it on ham radio about 15 minutes ago.

link   

edit on 14-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

link   
Oh man...here we go. If there really is any correlation to the flares and quake/volcanic activity, this may be a good time to start doing comparisons!!!!

Well, I guess it means that if I can't see the Northern Lights tonight, I will have an even better chance of seeing them in a day or two!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

February 14, 2011 -- The largest xray flare in over one year occurred yesterday at 1737 UTC. Region 1158 produced the impulsive R2 (Moderate) xray burst, part of the full eruption that also included a faint, earth-directed CME plus radio bursts across the spectrum. The region, still hot and flaring, yielded a small R1 (Minor) level xray burst today at 1726 UTC. Expect additional fireworks from this site over the next few days.

More info at:

ATS's Severe Geomagnetic Storm Research Project:

I don't see much of a particle discharge with this flare, so probably isn't going to be a big deal other than a nice light show in a couple days.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
www.lmsal.com...
Here they are reporting x 2.2

Also here
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Interesting times!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Cancelled is what i thought I read on the link posted and its not on sapceweather yet, still none the less the sun is kicking into gear it seems and if this is a pre curser to what to come I figure we should all keep our eyes on the skys. I just really wanna see some northern lights where i live LoL

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Lots of large quakes today west coast. Not just in your area, I have been watching todays thread from you, check out Chile today.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I haven't seen anything on spaceweather..where do you get your heliophysics data from?oopps sorry didnt see the link.... I haven't payin attention to the sun for too terribly long but I've never seen a X class flare..and whe have a M class right before that..wonder if this is gonna what's gonna break the last straw on the tectonic plates high level's of stress?
edit on 14-2-2011 by ArieZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ

strictlyhonest.com...
Good all around info site. Click on the alert and it will give you many links.

prop.hfradio.org...
This site is pretty good for background info and more in depth info but takes time to load.

Hope that helps!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join