It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple's iPhone and iPad hacked in just six minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Apple's iPhone and iPad hacked in just six minutes

www.heraldsun.com.au

RESEARCHERS have exploited a security flaw in Apple's mobile devices, taking just six minutes to steal passwords from the iPhone and iPad.

Experts at Germany's Fraunhofer SIT have found that passwords are not secure, even if the mobile device has an encryption.

The institute also warned that businesses which use iPhones and iPads are being put at serious risk of security breaches.

"Within six minutes the institute’s staff was able to render the iPhone’s encryption void and decipher many passwords stored on it," Fraunhofer SIT stated.

"The flawed security design affects a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yes, I searched but no findy.

Personally I have never liked the idea of a phone that seems to be so dependant on the internet.

It just a piece of plastic after all.

As the article states, it has big implications for companies that utilise these. some hospitals in OZ have issued doctors with iPads. Lots of fun for the script kiddies who swipe a Dr's ipad off him.

So, keep an eye out for your local secret agents using an iphone! oh the fun u could have

www.heraldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
And...if you drop it, it might not work anymore. Feeble toys is all they are. I wish some real inovation in computer technology would arise, like a phone that doesn't drop calls, oh yeah we have that already, it's called a LAND LINE! Why in the hell do people think they need this kind of technology at their fingertips???? It's stupid. I love the internet and doing research on the net, but that is not the same as the rush to sell the best toy!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
These trends these days are silly. I'd pay good money for a phone that actually makes calls. Text messaging, clock, calendar and alarm clock would be only things I'd need. Very simple device. Make it tiny and durable. That's what I want. When I want to watch movies, take pics/video or listen to music I have separate gizmos for those. If one brakes or needs upgrades it's easy to replace. Stupid trends

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I'm not jumping to the defence of apple here because I'm not to keen on the company and the way it operates.
I'm not a person who rushes out and buys the latest gadget either, but I do have an iPhone and I must say it is an amazing piece of kit.
I use it everyday and not just for phonecalls.
To have the Internet wherever you go is really handy, I use it often when I need to know something.
It has also made long road, train and plain journeys alot less boring.

As I say I'm not a tech freak and am not defending the company but the fact is the phone is pretty good. Unless you own one or have used one extensively you probably wouldn't understand that..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I think my phone works great too. I can recieve calls from anywhere in the world, clear calls, and it doesn't cost me but around 20 dollars a month. Voice mail, call waiting, caller id, it all in there. A land line. Since you aren't supposed to text or speak on your phone while in your car, and it is rude to do it in public, this leaves the option of pulling into a parking lot, or something like that, so you can make your call. Can you really not remember things unless your phone reminds you???? I would be concerned about my memory failing me in that instance! And what is wrong with a piece of paper and pen to write messages, notes, to self?

I refuse to feed into the useless industry of cell phones and ipads, ect. Humans are meant to communicate with each other, really communicate, the more technology 'advances' the less we do this.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Misterlondon

Can you really not remember things unless your phone reminds you???? I would be concerned about my memory failing me in that instance! And what is wrong with a piece of paper and pen to write messages, notes, to self?

Phones, PDAs, Secretaries, etc... were created to fill a gap, not retroactively create one.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It should be noted that you need to have physical access to the device, then jailbreak it in order to crack it.

I personally won't freak out about it too much 'cause I don't leave my gadgets lying around for anyone to play with.
Hopefully Apple will fix the problem now that the vulnerability is known.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
my works bringing in iphones & ipads for management. All this stuff goes to a security team in IT to check if they're secure. Those devices failed hard but the management want them so bad theyre willing to put up with the risk. The IT folk make the business sign off any risk so they dont get the blame when someone loses one and their systems get hacked.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
All apple products are crap.

But just remember this ANY THING with binary code can be hacked.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy

Actually, the mac laptop and desktops are brilliant.. The ipad, ipod touch and iphone should all be combined into one piece of hardware imo, I think the fact that they're fragmenting them into three different devices (sorry FOUR, with the introduction of the inewspaper or whatever its called) is a huge insult to anyone who buys more than one of these devices' intelligence. The ipod touch and iphone look EXACTLY the same, the only reason they sell them separately (with inbuilt glitches and imperfections may I add) is profit maximisation, with a total disrespect for product-quality orientation.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy

HA! Love that picture. I personally agree. I have so many issues with Apple's operating model, I won't even go into it, as that would just derail the thread.

I would not belittle the risk here at all. A lot of people at my work have iPhones. They usually keep them with them, but on occasion, they DO leave them laying around. The potential for some random person from another group coming by and snagging an iPhone whilst the owner is at lunch or in a meeting is there.

I personally use an Android phone that I have rooted and changed the ROM and Lock Screen on. I require a four digit PIN to get into my phone and it will auto lock... now is that safe? Not really.. but when my phone is not in my carry case or my hand, it is attached to my computer and charging. My company laptop is a much higher profile target than my phone. (kinda like parking a jalope in a parking lot full of lexus and mercedes.. what's going to be stolen first by a car thief?)

As for using the phones and tablets for business, well, there is benefit there. I agree that almost everything that is done electronically now could be and was done manually with dead trees and extra people. The reason there are tablets and smart phones now is because it, for the most part, makes it much more secure, less messy, and more efficient.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I have a Nokia that cost me £10 that does just that, although even that has a camera on it

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have the cheapest nokia model too. Too bad it has camera, voice recorder, timer, media messages and all kinds of useless crap. If it only would have the necessary things in a phone it could the size of stamp.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have no mobile, and guess what i can still live and breath, lol.

I agree on apple products though, just names.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by arollingstone

Insanely expensive though. My mate bought one the other day for £2000 (£1600 after he used my student discount) intel i5 dual core processor, 4gb ram and 500gb hdd. Whereas this on the other hand has an amd phenom quad core processor, 4 gb ram and a 500gb hdd and is £700.

Plus when the parts become obsolete in a few years you can easily replace them, with a macbook it's not so easy

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Yeah, extremely expensive - but on the plus side getting replacement parts or maintenance for current models is much easier than it is for say, a Toshiba laptop since the Apple stores are standardised!

Edit: and though they are expensive, they last a long long time!
edit on 13-2-2011 by arollingstone because: addition

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Why do you guys hate smartphones so much? They are basically miniature laptops that fit in your pocket and also make calls. You can go virtually anywhere and stay connected to the Internet. You can watch movies, music videos, listen to songs, play games, and get directions from the GPS.

Posted Via ATS Mobile On An Android Device: m.abovetopsecret.com

(post by samuelgeorge removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join