It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of Americas open society?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Interesting, this seems to be a politically bias reenactment of what the FBI did during the vietnam war. It's things like this that give the fahrenheit 9/11 movie more credence. If you think the 20,000 pages of FBI investigation on Kerry was extreme I think it's safe to say you haven't seen nothing yet. In a not to distant future if you use the phrase "kill ummm all and let god sort umm out" you may have to use the disclaimer "all except GWB" or you could be charged with threatening the president. Thus life under a dictator we have all come to know and love the furor and his armies of compassion GWB. Learn to love it (or at least not speak badly of it) or join the largest prison population on the planet.

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator"
-GWB ( www.cnn.com... )

Does that sound unamerican to anyone? DAMM STRAIGHT IT DOESN'T!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyspiritguide
I can tell you a true pre-9/11 story.

Wow!

Now that is scary,
firstly that they were able to trace you over the net,
secondly that they knew you had downloaded both articles, and
thirdly, that they considered you such a threat as to investigate you.

This is a sure sign that freedom is certianly illusionary....

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyspiritguide
They contacted my INSTRUCTOR, made sure that was a real assignment, AND made sure I actually turned it in, (in a follow-up phone call).

What if it hadn't been for an assignment? What if you were just curious? Did they give you any indication of the ramifications if you couldn't prove this was for an assignment? Very, very scary!!

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
cherish freedom, psshhh. sure we are free to do stuff, only after we've done about 20 other things that the government requires for us to do. you can not do jack frekin $hit no matter where you go. people are so paranoid and so foriegn to the outside world they will not tolerate the expression of freedom. all any one does around my parts is hide in their houses. when people are so isolated from one another then they lose their communication skills and we have to look for a moderater, the police. people seem to have lost any sense of being constructive, they are only critical. focusing solely on your flaws as to direct attention from themselves. i never point out others flaws only their weakness, for when weakness is realized then it is possible to grow. helping our fellow man grow is all we can do, and it is wat i shall do until i can meet someone who can help me do the same. perhaps a little off topic but a grand solution is better then no solution.

[edit on 18-7-2004 by kogigaiden]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by kogigaiden]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
1) Threatening to kill or injure someone has never been considered "protected speech" in the United States. It is a violation of federal law to threaten to kill or injure the President. Under various statutes, it is also illegal in all 50 states to threaten to kill or injure anyone, not just the President.

2) These laws have nothing whatsoever to do with the Patriot Act and have been on the books for many, many years.

3) I disagree with a great many of President Bush's policies, am not afraid to say so anywhere and do so frequently in public discussions both on and offline. Doing so does not violate any U.S. or state laws, and I have never seen anything to indicate that anyone in the U.S. has been prosecuted for expressing a non-violent, non-seditious political opinion in recent years (it actually used to be worse than it is now. See the Alien and Sedition Acts for an early, but by no means unique, example.).

4) A grand jury investigating the ties of a criminal to a political group, when the criminal appears to have been motivated to commit that crime for political reasons, is reasonable and responsible. The grand jury would have been wrong not to investigate this connection. A grand jury subpoena is not a judgment or sentence, but a tool for investigating possible crimes, which is what grand juries do. The grand jury process is required by the Constitution in certain cases as a right to protect the defendant. It is not considered a tool of oppression.

5) Humphries was found guilty by a jury of his peers.

ladyspiritguide: That sounds like quite an experience. I guess interest in that website must have waned, because that is the very same website I downloaded my own copies of those very same documents from about 8 months ago. So far, I have seen no indication of interest in me by law enforcement. Apparently, priorities in law enforcement have shifted.

It is the duty of every American to keep an eye on his government. The founders of our country urged us to never trust our leaders. No matter how skeptical you may be about the motives of politicians, you are not skeptical enough.

Part of this responsibility includes being accurately informed about what is going on, including understanding how our legal system works. It is easy to throw our hands in the air and run around in circles shouting "tyranny!", but doing so in cases that are not tyranny is counterproductive.

Rather, it is better to be well-informed enough to see the true danger when it arises, and danger, as always, abounds.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Right now they are arresting people for speaking violently against the administration. While this is still questionable I dont think its too extreme just yet.

It seems like everyone forgot about Homeland Security asking people to become spies for them, ordinary citizen's with the power to have their fellow citizen's arrested for "Terrorist" ideas. This is pretty scary, what if your arrested for speaking against the government?

This is a very scary trend, what if they begin to force libraries to get rid of certain books? Or even publisher's from printing certain books that view negatively on the government. Next thing you know it will be a crime of even owning copies of 1983, or Marxism books, etc... Censorship is already starting people.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
CITE 18 USC Sec. 2383 01/26/98
EXPCITE TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 115 - TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES
TEXT Sec. 2383. Rebellion or insurrection
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any
rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United
States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall
be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or
both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United
States.

This law is in effect and is enforceable in the United States of America today.

There is much more.

Edit: Anyone who cites Lovecraft in his signature is all right by me.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn.

"...the right of the people, to keep and bear tentacles, shall not be infringed."

[edit on 7/18/2004 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
seriously though you will 100% surely never see anything remotely resembling a message encouraging protest from the media. the government goes to great lengths to make sure no one is spreading bad words. when you are the american government controling the flow of information is relativly easy. if no one knows for sure then it is immposible to protest. and since the real information will never be known they give us the dumb ass retard piece of crap gay land news hour of nothing but $hit that is tottaly irelevant.

government = bad

ATS = good

top topics

<< 1   >>

join