It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal psychologists blind to hostile climate that they've made for non liberals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Social Scientist Sees Bias Within

“This is a statistically impossible lack of diversity,” Dr. Haidt concluded, noting polls showing that 40 percent of Americans are conservative and 20 percent are liberal. In his speech and in an interview, Dr. Haidt argued that social psychologists are a “tribal-moral community” united by “sacred values” that hinder research and damage their credibility — and blind them to the hostile climate they’ve created for non-liberals.A few even endorsed his call for a new affirmative-action goal: a membership that’s 10 percent conservative by 2020. The society’s executive committee didn’t endorse Dr. Haidt’s numerical goal, but it did vote to put a statement on the group’s home page welcoming psychologists with “diverse perspectives.” It also made a change on the “Diversity Initiatives” page — a two-letter correction of what it called a grammatical glitch, although others might see it as more of a Freudian slip.

- the society announced that special funds to pay for travel to the annual meeting (conference) were available to students belonging to “underrepresented groups (i.e., ethnic or racial minorities, first-generation college students, individuals with a physical disability, and/or lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgendered students).”

As Dr. Haidt noted in his speech, the “i.e.” implied that this was the exclusive, sacred list of “underrepresented groups.” The society took his suggestion to substitute “e.g.” — a change that leaves it open to other groups, too. Maybe, someday, even to conservatives.

link-
www.nytimes.com...#

This article talks about something that is specific to the community of psychologists according to the author. He is speaking of a pervading sense of hostility towards primarily conservatives and also non liberals in general. He sees non liberals as a new "outgroup". Websters Dictionary, Definition of OUT-GROUP
: a group that is distinct from one's own and so usually an object of hostility or dislike.

I believe that this particular author has a valid point and that his message applies to more than his own field.
I have noticed Liberal bias on the media and in specific public forums despite the fact that they are statistically not a majority.

Read the article before responding. It is interesting and has some good information.
edit on 10-2-2011 by badgerprints because: Additional paragraph in body of quote

join