It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Buffalo Bans Fracking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Another article & video from today on local news discussing fracking in the area again.
www.wgrz.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

hi jaynkeel
thanks for the link. i read it and followed two other links on the site. what slapped me in the face was the use of diesel in the hydraulic fluid for pulverising the shale.it claims 30,000,000 gallons of diesel have been used in 19 states where shale operations are or have been ongoing. thats a lot of diesel injected into the shale.
my immediate thought was that diesel ignites under compression and heat. i suppose the water mixed in with the diesel negates this possibility. pits that are used for used fluid storage and have spilled over contaminating the immediate grounds is quite unnerving. i would suggest the companies should consider using industrial cyclonic seperation equipment. that way the fluids would be recoverable and fit for further use as opposed to a potentially hazardous storage pit/pond just waiting for an incident. that aside, i still feel there are potential problems when it comes down to the groundwater aspect.
regards f

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
An Oscar nominee is worried about fracking

www.cnn.com...#/video/bestoftv/2011/02/18/exp.am.fracking.gas.ruffalo.cnn?iref=hpbua

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Just adding a recent update to this thread:
New York State Assembly Passes One-Year Fracking Moratorium

ALBANY - For the second year in a row, a bill that would officially ban hydraulic fracturing for close to a year is working its way through the Legislature, but its fate in the Senate remains cloudy. On Monday, the Assembly overwhelmingly passed the bill, which would ban all new permits for hydrofracking until June 1, 2012. "The bill ... establishes this moratorium in order to give the state time to assess the risks revealed by existing data and to review the (state) Department of Environmental Conservation's in its forthcoming hydrofracking study," Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan, said.

www.wgrz.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join