It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High time for an introduction. I'm sometimes proud of the stars I don't get.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yes,
I've been on ATS for a few years now and have enough points under my belt that they don't really matter any more. I don't start threads often because I don't really come up with a lot of popular topics. I'm not that edgy or exciting I guess.

I've been through the newby phase, had to be right phase, had to get stars and flags phase, I'm right you're wrong phase, we're right you're wrong phase, am I really right ? phase, Are we really wrong? phase.....it goes on but you get the point.

After a while I got to the point where my ego was tired of writing threads and I grew weary of defending or pushing my own feelings and just started to go with the flow. I didn't post for a while, disgusted because I couldn't make a difference and realized that the world was too big with too many dissenting ideas, points of view and opinions. Too many emotional issues to get a handle on.

Let's face it, This place has more baggage than Lufthansa Airlines....and that's ok. It's what people do.

After a while I began to post again, unencumbered by as much ego or worries about right, wrong, points, stars, flags, ect... I started to enjoy it again.

So, I guess I'm in another phase now....change is good....no? I wasn't really sure what phase I was un until today. It is pretty clear now. I'm in the "Happy about the stars I don't get."phase.

I've been reading threads and wondered recently about the tendency to go with a point of view or run with an idea and watch how many people never stop to question it.

It's not really about being right or wrong, just about thinking around an issue without being blind to our own issues.

In one case a thread went on for several pages with people emotionally interjecting black and white ideas on what was a grey issue. I made a comment on how sad it was that nobody realized that this particular issue was tragic in more ways than one but nobody seemed to care about that, they just wanted the emotional fix of being right. Of course I didn't get stars for that post and was glad of it. I wasn't trying to be right, just to get people to stop and look at the issue from a position that was not their own. Sometimes tragic circumstances shouldn't be drug through the mud to satisfy egos.

I've noticed that it happens where too many people agree on an emotional level but miss the big picture because they stop thinking once they have a following, a consensus, a team united.....a lot of stars. Once they get a momentum going, they tend to stop thinking. I have the same problem too sometimes. Like I said, it's what people do.

I still like to see a lot of stars on a post. It's nice to know people agree and that you aren't alone. If for nothing but feedback, I think the stars serve a good purpose but they aren't everything.

Sometimes, a thoughtful post that simply gives food for thought and never gets a single star is the best post I've written all day.

It's been a long time coming but hello to all.

My name is Badgerprints, and I'm looking forward to the things I'll learn from all of you here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Welcome, I too have been through most of the phases that you speak about. I think most of us have. Add to it the total crazy, don't care and posting nincompoop stuff phase. Always go out on a limb when you put a message out. I'm new here too. Nice to meet someone who is not afraid to say what is going on inside their head.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Macabees

Thanks,
It's a whole cycle of phases isn't it? Some people cycle through them pretty quick and some just seem to stop at a point and don't change any more.

I don't think I want to tell everything that is going on in my head but sometimes it's nice to just say what you think and not worry about being agreed with.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hey, I know what you mean by having some starless comments, it strikes a nerve that people do not want to consider but a very valid point in the discussion. There are a couple that put a smile on my face. I have enjoyed reading your comments and you do put across a well considered argument. Take care.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Great introduction. Probably one of the best I've seen even if you have been here three years.

I haven't been here long and I really like stars and I really like to be 'right,' but I'm also learning from a lot of good folk how to be more openminded, diplomatic, and part of an online community. That surprised me and has been far more valuable than the topics and research even.

Thoughtful & well-written post, badgerprints...thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Well.... just so you know..... I'm not giving you any Stars......... because I can't here

Seriously.... an excellent post that I'm sure rings true with many as it does me.

Welcome to the club, expect to learn lots from ATS Members....... just not this Member.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I wrote this thread about a year and a half ago. Seems like longer. I've been away most of that time but I'm back. Aside from work in the Space Opera Thread I think this one was my favorite. I'm in a whole new phase now and it takes few opinions into account but only in the nicest of ways.

It will be nice to catch up with old friends and make a few new ones.

Keep calm and carry on.
Badger

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Well.... I was right!!!

Good to see you posting again! Yours was one of the names I consciously noticed missing when I came back, myself, not too long ago.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts! Bring some sanity with you please... it's election season and we need it!

~Heff

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hey ole buddy.
I'm running short on sanity myself but I'll do what I can.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I don't know rightly how I got to here, but I'm glad I did. Respect! I wish there were more like you, and a pretty down to Earth guy like Heff.

BTW, there isn't much wrong with your sanity, trust me...I'm a human being,

edit on 14-10-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

join