It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The South Atlantic Anomaly

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
cool never heard that before
thanks
edit on 3-2-2011 by Dyax- because: typo

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Has that not been growing in the last few years? Or am I thinking of another one?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Do you think there are efforts underway to to attempt to harness this energy? Say maybe even from the ISS? Could things be going awry as a result?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

wouldn't this explain at least the instrument failure in the Triangle? And are the other "triangle" areas in the same boat as far as this anomaly? This is a very interesting topic. How long were you in the program?
edit on 3-2-2011 by network dude because: s

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
The South Atlantic Anomaly is a weak point in the earth's magnetic field, allowing radiation to seep deeper into the magnetosphere. As far as I know, it doesn't move, but it covers a large portion of the southern hemisphere...

www.astro.psu.edu...

Also, it's recently been expanding, which isn't surprising, considering the entire magnetic field of the earth appears to be in a bit of a slump these days.

I looked at this map, and something came to mind.

Earth history is punctuated by events during which large volumes of mafic magmas were generated and emplaced by processes unrelated to “normal” sea-floor spreading and subduction.

largeigneousprovinces.org...

The current debate on plume vs. nonplume models partly rests on the presumed role of giant radiating dike swarms in the genesis of Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs). Limited AMS (anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility) studies appear to suggest that at least some of these swarms were generated by the outward propagation of magmatism from a centralized source…

largeigneousprovinces.org...

Large igneous provinces are often linked to active hotspots by linear chains of volcanic islands or volcanoes, leading to models that connect their origins to mantle plumes. In this hypothesis, mantle plumes consist of a bulbous head and a thin tail that feeds hot mantle into the head. When the rising plume head encounters the lithosphere, it spreads out and melts catastrophically to form large volumes of basalt magma in 1-2 million years. Subsequent volcanism originates with the plume tail. The movement of lithosphere across the surface of the Earth in response to plate tectonics causes the plume tail volcanics to form linear island chains. The impact of the plume on the base of continental lithosphere may cause rifting and breakup of the continent, creating conjugate LIPs on opposite sides of an ocean basin (e.g., the Parana-Etendeka pair of South America-Africa).

Some new definitions of the term 'LIP' include large granitic provinces such as those found in the Andes Mountains of South America…

en.wikipedia.org...

Bushveld South Africa LIP

www.largeigneousprovinces.org...

Those LIP events of South America and Africa could set the edges of that anomaly.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Okay, guys, let's get back on track here.

First, the exact size and distribution varies, but not too greatly. It has little effect inside the physiological atmosphere, so airliners and their passengers receive more radiation than on the surface of the Earth, but less than double that of airliners anywhere else.

Secondly, I am not a "pole shifter" and there is ZERO evidence the South Atlantic Anomaly is evidence that a pole shift is underway. NASA and the Air Force, for different reasons, monitor all of the variances in the Van Allen Belts and the magnetosphere, and the scientists I worked with at KSC (NASA) and Cape Canaveral AFS (USAF) were concerned about a lot of things, but not a pole shift in our lifetimes.

Whe the Anomaly is the largest one, there are many smaller variations in the Van Allen Belts, as well as upper atmosphere itself. As I mentioned earlier, some are tied to Earth anomalies, such as magnetic distortions, etc., while others are as puzzling as the South Atlantic Anomaly. A few such variations disappear, then reappear, while others are continuous, but seem to wander around a bit.

You guys can keep looking for information, but you don't have to go to "other than normal" scientific sites. Believe me, the information we will be discussing about this topic will be plenty interesting without any of that added. For the time being, let's stick to the science, please.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You say leave the OTHER sites and that we should stick to science but you then say this.

while others are as puzzling as the South Atlantic Anomaly

Seems to me your scientists are a little baffled..
Maybe looking outside the box isn't all bad..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Harnessing the energy wouldn't be sticking to the science? What's the "science" here? The for some reason our atmosphere is different over some areas? Riddles. Pfft.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

It is only when scientists think "outside the box" that new discoveries are made. It is just that topics on ATS have a strange way of drifting off into "the grays are changing the polar axis" or "the Mayans understood forces from the center of the galaxy" or other such things. As I stated in the thread just above this, there are many surprises I can let you know about, and these highly renowned scientists have been definitely "thinking outside the box" because of these variances. However, without setting up the "outside the box" thinking with solid scince first, I would appear to be simply stating personal opinions. Besides, for the unitiated, there is a learning curve needed to be able to appreciate what I will discuss later in this thread. As with the criticism of the "unmentionable publication" you have to work through topics to get to the heart of the information. But once you get there, it turns out that the work you put in was worth it.

So, for those who are knowledgeable in this area, we will be moving sort of slow. For those who never heard of this, you will learn a lot through this thread.

As an aside, it is disturbing that if something appears controversial, even if it is incorrect, it gets so much attention on this site. Some things of real value, such as my thread on DNA, didn't even get a single response. Oh well.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I've never heard of this before so it's all new to me. Can we set out a clear rule though for the forthcoming discussion? The first person to say this is evidence of Atlantis should be put up against a wall and shot! lol.
I think it was Network Dude who wondered about it having something to do with the Bermuda Triangle... If so, is there a similar peak in radiation on the opposite side of the world where the Devils Triangle is said be?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

So, for those who are knowledgeable in this area, we will be moving sort of slow. For those who never heard of this, you will learn a lot through this thread.

OK then, move along..I aint got all night..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
in response, I welcome "real science" in the responses from others in this thread. Right now,I can see that there are already knowledgeable people who are adding valuable information, and later in the thread will be of even more value by being able to discern that what I have posted is the truth, then adding the knowledge that they know, which I do not know myself. I am not "all-knowing" and learned very early in my life that listening to an expert for five minutes is more valuable than talking from your own knowledge base for an hour. I welcome all "knowledge" and happen to have a very good memory.

I always stand ready to hear a new fact that I did not know before. That is called learning and I have spent my entire life doing this!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

This is worse than watching a weekly TV show..
When do we get to the interesting part??

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

tune in next week, when you will hear all about the mysterious connection with reptilians from center earth!

Sorry, OP, just saw an opportunity for a reptile joke and I couldn't pass it up.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

However, with our "current" technology (pun intended) it remains impractical.

Though not knowledgeable in this arena, very interesting. I will follow this one for sure. Your above statement piqued my interest. I hope you will elaborate more on this with your trickle of information.

I know how it is to build an epic thread up just to find out that no one is really interested. Maybe due to techno mumbo jumbo. Well you hooked a few already so carry on.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by CholmondleyWarner
I've never heard of this before so it's all new to me. Can we set out a clear rule though for the forthcoming discussion? The first person to say this is evidence of Atlantis should be put up against a wall and shot! lol.

This is from "The wanderings of Alhazred" translated by Donald Tyson

The city of R'lyeh occupies a series of wide terraces on the slopes of a mountain, deep beneath a great ocean that lies far off to the south off the coast of Cathay

Cathay is another word for china, or the area surrounding the indian ocean or "the east". The mythical city of R'leyh is seperate from the city of atlantis, both in location and supposed timeline. It was a fortress stronghold of an ancient titan named Cthulhu. Him and his kind ruled the world, but he was defeated, his island fortress was destroyed, and sank into the southern ocean. Cthulhu now lies in his tomb at the bottom of the southern ocean. 'Dead but dreaming'

That is just one of several other civilizations that are long forgotten, and only survive in myth that have nothing to do with atlantis, but are there regardless.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Khaaaaaan!! because: hey network dude

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Okay, I am back.

I understand your frustrations, but this is a business day, so I can only do this here and there. It just so happens a number of patients have cancelled due to the weather or I wouldn't be posting right now anyway.

The variations tied to ground-related distortions are very interesting, but I would rather focus on the Anomaly itself for now.

It has some variability in size, strength, and location, but I would say that it is only perhaps 20 percent or less. While on orbit, some experiments on past shuttle missions would have to be shielded while passing through that zone. As I mentioned, the electrical generation from the external lines from orbiters tremendously increased while in the Anomaly. The amount of energy present in the anomaly is unbelievably large. However, just like energy of waves or movement of the tectonic plates, we have no means of harnessing all this energy for industrial purposes at this time.

Here comes a surpise, that I will have to be careful in my wording. Because a spacecraft can gain a huge amount of energy every time it passes through the Anomaly, IF a low-Earth orbiting spacecraft had an electrical storage capacity, along with a small engine that could turn that energy into station maintenance power, there would still be a lot of extra energy available, for use in whatever means the designers chose. Such a craft would not be limited to a short mission life, as most low-Earth orbit satellites experience. Instead, it would have a very long endurance capability

Here is where I need some expertise from others since I cannot state anything directly. What would be the most likely type of spacecraft to utilize these capabilities?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The ISS.

Only thing we humans have that comes close (that we know of).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Oh my, how dull this is. No one has said......

OMG! WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Okay, that's done now.

Interesting subject, first that I've heard of it. Someone should map the variations in the magnetic field of the earth or post it if it's already been done. Then we may try to correlate the variations with what we do know about the Earth itself.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
Okay, I am back.
there would still be a lot of extra energy available, for use in whatever means the designers chose. Such a craft would not be limited to a short mission life, as most low-Earth orbit satellites experience. Instead, it would have a very long endurance capability

Here is where I need some expertise from others since I cannot state anything directly. What would be the most likely type of spacecraft to utilize these capabilities?

what do you think of this idea: Human made "space ships" (black ops not NASA) traverse this anomaly and collect energy to use as fuel..The ships exit the Earth through this area in order to gather enough energy to perpetuate their vehicle to whatever deep space destination they go to...

also, there's quite a lot of gathered data that would suggest that there are underwater "bases" in this area. Aaron McCollum, among many others, speak of co-human ET and exclusive ET bases underwater in this exact area, up to 50 in some testimonies. I wouldn't doubt for a second that this area could be reserved for ET homebase and the anomaly is a handy dandy way of telling everyone else to keep the f out..

also, i don't know why someone hasn't suggested this yet. referring to the bermuda triangle and the anomalous activities of disappearing vehicles: stargate anyone? just maybe? a space/time fluctuation? a quantum fissure? where do all those missing ships, planes and people go?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join