It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Did the Christians on this site have a secret meeting at a Church and agree to start attacking atheists and atheism? Seriously, the majority of active threads on the topic in the last 5 months were started by Christian theists attacking atheists, and the threads by atheists only seemed to have popped up in response.

Is there a more cogent conspiracy to suppress non-believers? I mean, the conspiracy is there. In fact, the stated goal of almost every religion is to convert, thus suppressing skepticism.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I am guessing for the same reason there are many threads attacking Christians, Muslims, etc.. Imho, religion (or lack there of) is a/the main cause of conflict and war.. As you see.

Deebo

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Don't worry about it. It means they are worried and on the ropes.

I personally don't feed their need to attack Atheists to justify their own religions.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I've just glanced at the first page of the Conspiracies in religion forum.
I can't see any.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This kind of thing comes and goes in waves. Next week somebody will come on and post some topic claiming to "prove" Christianity to be a sham or something, as if that was a huge challenge to attack a belief. Of course belief doesn't have proof. That's why they call it a belief.

In either case, it's just a result of people feeling insecure about their own beliefs, and wanting some kind of affirmation from the other "side." It's all pretty pointless, really. Most people decide on their own to seek out and question what they believe, and are rarely swayed by direct arguments against them.

Atheists can't prove a negative. Religious people can't prove or even define "God." So it's all just entertainment.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
I am guessing for the same reason there are many threads attacking Christians, Muslims, etc.. Imho, religion (or lack there of) is a/the main cause of conflict and war.. As you see.

Deebo

I agree as I am confused by the OP. Everyday there is either an atheist thread bashing Christians or vice versa. Nothing really surprising. Is it because atheism seems logical that we should all attack religion instead?

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The bashing comes from both sides. And it's ridiculous. Neither side can prove their point. That's why it's a belief. Why not spend your energy on important issues like the economy or teen pregnancy instead of attempting to prove your own beliefs?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've only been on this site a short while, and I have to say I'm shocked (slightly naive, perhaps) at a minorities extreme views on athiests/agnostics. I always thought Christianity taught you weren't supposed to judge others, but I've seen a select few who seem to be the polar opposite of this.

The thing which annoys me the most, is, as I've seen on this site on a couple of occasions, when religious individuals state that athiests/agnostics have no morals whatsoever, as they believe there is no higher power, so they deem themselves to be their own god, and as a result think they can do whatever they want. Honestly, one of the most ridiculous assumptions I've seen/heard in my life. How can you be so short-sighted so as to judge a group of 100s of millions instantly and think every one of them is alike? I've even seen people blame athiesm for crime, for basically the same reason as previously stated. As if noone ever committed a crime in God's name?

Oh well, as others have said, it's swings and roundabouts. No doubt a lot of religious individuals feel they are unfairly persecuted on here from time to time, so it works both ways.

I think all athiests/agnostics should take Jesus' advice, and turn the other cheek- something which a few Christians seem to forget
Don't think I'm bashing everyone who is religious, the majority are civil people- just there is a minority who seem to come across as very hypocritical.
edit on 1-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My guess is they are feeling insecure with their belief structures. That would be a typical response to the mental constructs of society coming apart in their subconscious.

I'm not an atheist but I have respect for many viewpoints. They all have a little something to offer, some more than others.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Did the Christians on this site have a secret meeting at a Church and agree to start attacking atheists and atheism? Seriously, the majority of active threads on the topic in the last 5 months were started by Christian theists attacking atheists, and the threads by atheists only seemed to have popped up in response.

Is there a more cogent conspiracy to suppress non-believers? I mean, the conspiracy is there. In fact, the stated goal of almost every religion is to convert, thus suppressing skepticism.

They must spread the word/convert infidels through the sword, as they have always done. If they do not try to convert (or succeed through force), then they are not doing god's work.

Seriously, i think that a once one person (religious or not) "starts in" on something, then the others kinda join and band together with their brothers/sisters in belief, if only to reiterate and personally solidify their own belief system(s) (sometimes only to themselves), thereby justifying what they believe against the odds of non-belief.

The aggression of belief/religion at its basic, most primitive, and oldest form.

Your methods/beliefs attacked, you then attack to defend (to reaffirm yourself, or to convert others), which is absurd because it's a belief system, and only that.

But people have been killing each other for a long time over beliefs...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
You will see more and more of this as we get closer to 2012, they all think they are "awake" and above the rest of us. And the 2012 date just hyped them up.
edit on 1-2-2011 by ShogunAssassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
As a pagan I find the OP comical. The Atheists have been on the attack. Man up! This is ATS. I think evangelicals be the Xtian or atheists are a pain in the neck. Anyone offering unsolicited preaching or inappropriate scepticism runs the risk of being bashed.

WE know atheists do not believe in god. End of conversation. Why go attacking those that do who have no wish to convert anyone. I am happy to have the evangelical atheists slug it out with evangelical Xtians. I will bring wine and bars snacks.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ShogunAssassins

Oh no, 2012 has very little to do with it. Have you seen the websites and advertisements of "May 21, 2011"? Some of these christians claim that their magic man will "rapture" them on May 21st. Some idiot preacher made some "mathematical calculations" from his holy babble and came up with that doomsday date. To me, it looks like they're trying to copy the Mayan prophecy of December 21, 2012. Same day of the month but in completely opposite seasons.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Is it better to be an athiest or a religious nut? I say its better to be an athiest because mainstream religion has been corrupted ages ago and people may actually be worshipping satan without realising it. Don't take my word for it though, here:

From reluctant-messenger.com...
In a letter to Pope Leo X on September 6th, 1520, Martin Luther wrote of the Christianity of his day that the church, "…once the holiest of all, has become the most licentious den of thieves, the most shameless of all brothels, the kingdom of sin, death, and hell. It is so bad that even Antichrist himself, if he should come, could think of nothing to add to its wickedness" (Quoted in: The Great Thoughts; compiled by George Seldes).

In fact with the Council of Laodicea in 364 AD a lot of "controversial" books were banned for good. All hail to the "great" roman emperor and his perverted pagan beliefs. Why even bother go to church if you know less than 50% of the material is authentic?

Not to mention the latest muslim upsurge in the middle east which threatens war with isreal and possibly the start of WW3! I just got done arguing with the anti-zionist crowd in another thread and nothing can convince some people that the NWO supercedes zionism. They think everything is a jewish conspiracy because the rothschild family owns the central banks while neglecting the twelve other families that have nothing to do with zionism.

Some people are deadset with their beliefs and nothing you say can change their mind!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yes the ugliness of reason and logic tainted with passion and belief systems is the root cause of both sides dark clouds.

End of the day there is one right answer , we just havn't figured it out yet.

Once we do then finally these set of many walls can come down and get some unification with understanding

Don't look at it as an attack, look at it is passion rants. lol ? What do you say chum?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Xtians is not a word. The word is Christian. If you do not believe or do not care that is your business, but don't take Christ out of the word.
Does it hurt you to even spell out Christ?
I haven't seen any attack on atheists threads yet and I was just looking. There are however plenty attacking Christianity. We will believe what we do, and you will believe what you do. At least atheists will believe and Cjristians will believe, but agnostics I don't get. You just not to believe one way or the other, like you just don't care one way or the other.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
the reason why some of this may be happening is because some christians are unhappy that someone doesnt believe in god. i dont really think its because they're unhappy with their own beliefs or they see something wrong with theirs beliefs and they feel the need to attack someone else to feel comfortable about it. some people just dont like the fact that someone doesnt believin god, or a god. they want you to believin in one. but instead of sitting down and talking to you about and trying to convince you, they attack. like the overseas muslim or whatever the problem is over there. people get angry that you dont believe there is a god, or that you dont believe their god. i used to go to church, because my mom made me go with her, and i liked it. i was baptised. but im far from holy. i drink, cuss, as the bible says, fornicate, smoke, sometimes cigarettes, sometimes black n milds, and mostly weed, even though im glad to say i havent smoked in 30 days cause i need a job. but i still believe in god and what the bible says, but i wouldnt attack someone for their belief. let a person believe what they want. i used to have a friend, dont know where he is now, but he didnt believe in god. an opinion is an opinion, we're all entitled to our own, before the government makes that illegal too anyway. there's no need to attack or criticize someone over what they believe. no one knows if their right anyway. thats why its called belief and faith. not truth and fact.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

That's not what an agnostic is- it doesn't relate to beliefs, it relates to knowledge. You can have an agnostic athiest, who doesn't believe in a god, but doesn't know whether there actually is one or not. On the other hand, you can have an agnostic thiest, who believes in a god, but doesn't know whether that belief is true or not.
This link gives a diagram which explains it nicely.
edit on 1-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Magic man? Who is the magic man? Are you refering to Jesus? Your tone in your response appears rather hostile towards Christians. Why are you so offended by us? By the avatar you have it looks like you are on the far end of the spectrum from Christianity and that may explain it. No Christian claims Jesus to be a Magician. Jesus performed Holy miracles not practice in spell casting or encantations. I won't compare Jesus' miracles to satan's attempted ones. I will ask you this though,,,, do you believe in Satan? If so, how can you believe in one and not the other?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Examine your thoughts unrelentingly for 24 hours and wonder no longer at the absence of God.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join