It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanotechnology, the DNA Ties That Bind Them and possible manipulations of visible light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

While people commonly think of DNA as a blueprint for life, the team used DNA instead as a tool to guide the precise positioning of tiny particles just one-millionth of a centimeter across, using DNA to chaperone the particles.

Central to the work is the unique attraction of each of DNA's four chemical bases to just one other base. The scientists created specific pieces of DNA and then attached them to gold nanoparticles and viral particles, choosing the sequences and positioning them exactly to force the particles to arrange themselves into a crystal lattice.

Source

Image of a crystal lattice -

This discovery & creation is monumental!!! although still in it's infancy,the implications of this finding could open the doors for all kinds of nano devices to be created and made with more ease.there are two things that really stuck out in the article for me and I would like to point out to consider their far reaching implications and future usefulness.
(bold emphasis added by me)

1.)

When scientists mixed the particles, out of the brew emerged a sodium thallium crystal lattice. The device "self assembled" or literally built itself.

self replication & formation,so what exactly does this tell us overall? I find this intriguing to put it mildly.

2.)

Such a crystal lattice is potentially a central ingredient to a device known as a photonic crystal, which can manipulate light very precisely, blocking certain colors or wavelengths of light while letting other colors pass. While 3-D photonic crystals exist that can bend light at longer wavelengths, such as the infrared, this lattice is capable of manipulating visible light.

Wow...Just wow is all I can think of to say.Now,I do not know exactly how precise or exactly what this photonic crystal is capable of doing but I can imagine the possibilities of what a creation like this could do.

the magnitude of this is exceptional! Imagine if we could implement such a device to truly manipulate the visible light spectrum!? I will leave you with that one to ponder for a wile.

edit on 29-1-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I watched something similar on Nova the other day. It's all about how you shape things!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Its difficult to speculate about this in regards to practical applications..its like the beginnings of steel creation...you can start discussing what steel could be used for and end up writing until you get old and still not be done.

But.

Here is the problem...the more profound implication is a DNA based construction. Imagine for just a moment a blueprint of say, a apartment building, or whatever else..just supply the correct elements and it starts assembling itself until its complete. Problem here is a industry smashing consequence that would flatline tons of very big corporations.

So, expect this tech to be supressed overall in order to not disrupt the economy of the 21st century.

after following closely trends in nanotech, I have concluded that no time soon will the public benefit from the true potential. Almost every "awesome" part of nanotech has and will be supressed sadly.

Add: I wanted to give a contingency to that cynical statement. If such science is produced in china, then there is a possibility of it going live...maybe (but china is sadly becoming more corporatist capitalist by the day). America and the west in general is really crap at meaningful technological progression now due to market consequences...gadgets we can do, but true breakthroughs are no longer in the interest of the western civilization

This saddens me.
edit on 29-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thank you for your response and input. Sadly I have to agree for the most part with your assessments on this matter.any kind of breakthrough in this field ( among others ) will unfortunately be repressed from the mainstream & consumer markets and individual.I do have hopes of some implementation of this though and found this part of the article the most interesting :

Such a crystal lattice is potentially a central ingredient to a device known as a photonic crystal, which can manipulate light very precisely, blocking certain colors or wavelengths of light while letting other colors pass. While 3-D photonic crystals exist that can bend light at longer wavelengths, such as the infrared, this lattice is capable of manipulating visible light.

It definitely sparked my imagination.
edit on 29-1-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Just wanted to also give you some words of encouragement.
You made a thread that basically captured no interest. I don't understand this personally considering just how incredibly wild the subject is...but for some reason, major groundbreaking innovation in science typically is ignored on ATS.
just not subject matter the common person is interested in unless it plays MP3's or something...but not to worry, there are some futurists here.

I guess such discussions is for the ones in the know.

But the silence in major nanotech and other fields really bugs me. Make a thread on some new way to burn gas and you will have 5 pages of hopeful doe eyed people chiming in...talk about truely mind blowing human research and they become quiet due to lack of understanding.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I appreciate the encouragement and I completely agree with what you have posted.
In the short while that I have been here on ats I have come to notice either certain "topics" or certain members tend to get the most attention (i.e.-star & flags race etc.)

not to take away anything or to disrespect any members contribution and efforts.It is just my personal opinion and assessment thus far.
It is a shame topics as in the Op are not given their proper attention and contemplation.

new topics

top topics

join