It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question on the Speed of Light and has the Universe Already Travelled Through Time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I was reflecting upon the origin of our universe: the Big Bang and the idea that in just a few nanoseconds where the Universe was made...it grew ENORMOUSLY.

Now...I can’t really believe that this all occurred at the speed of light...it is my belief that it occurred much much faster...it has to.

But isn’t our current theory that nothing is faster than the speed of light?

The only solutions that I can come up with this is:
1 – A speed greater than light speed was possible before but not now
2 – There’s a possibility that the laws of the physics change...they adapt to different parts of the universe...
3 – It is possible to go faster than the speed of light (but when wouldn’t we be time travelling!????) but we haven’t harnessed the right technology or ideas
4 – I’m complete idiot and am wrong.

Going on.. if it did travel faster than the speed of light...wouldn’t that be time travel?
So could our universe have time travelled BACK in time? And we’re actually experiencing history at the moment? And maybe the Big Bang is the end or beginning...and going in a countless cycle?

Can anyone help me out here or am I being a complete idiot here?
It’s doing my head in.

Thank you

edit on 27-1-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't think you're an idiot at all. You've actually raised some questions I had never before considered. Let's see what the "science pros" on this site have to say. I eagerly anticipate the discussion.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

you're not an idiot at all. My take:

You can't define what happened at the big bang based on the laws of our universe, as the big bang, and aftermath, were the creation of our universe, for all intents and purposes, no laws on physics or anything we consider possible in our universe, apply to whatever was before the big bang, the ether if you will.

The speed of light, as measured, is the rule for our universe, not others, and certainly not what came before us,

Also, one of the theories being developed is changing the big bang, into the big bounce. As we are finding with science, the universe is expanding, what happens when it stops? could the universe cool and start constricting in on itself, going back to a single point, then exploding again into another iteration of the universe?

Who knows lol
edit on 27-1-2011 by phishybongwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
"No haste, no pause, no rest girl, remember to remember,
Love won't take second best ya, remember to remember
Heartache and pain won't last like your old habits do,
Catch up with your past, before it catches up with you"

Robert Palmer "Remember to Remember"

I know sometimes I tend to get ahead of myself.....

Jason

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
]reply to post by BlackPoison94

I was reflecting upon the origin of our universe: the Big Bang and the idea that in just a few nanoseconds where the Universe was made...it grew ENORMOUSLY.

Now...I can’t really believe that this all occurred at the speed of light...it is my belief that it occurred much much faster...it has to.

But isn’t our current theory that nothing is faster than the speed of light?

The only solutions that I can come up with this is:
1 – A speed greater than light speed was possible before but not now
2 – There’s a possibility that the laws of the physics change...they adapt to different parts of the universe...
3 – It is possible to go faster than the speed of light (but when wouldn’t we be time travelling!????) but we haven’t harnessed the right technology or ideas
4 – I’m complete idiot and am wrong.

Going on.. if it did travel faster than the speed of light...wouldn’t that be time travel?
So could our universe have time travelled BACK in time? And we’re actually experiencing history at the moment? And maybe the Big Bang is the end or beginning...and going in a countless cycle?

Can anyone help me out here or am I being a complete idiot here?
It’s doing my head in"

1) the big bang we don't know what happened . How fast the expansion was , What subatomic particles were present . What fields espcially the higgs (which gives particles there mass) was present at the time .

in theory matter cannot travel faster then speed of light , but the expansion of the universe is the expansion of the space-time fabric it self .

"To answer the broader question in detail, we need to specify what we mean by the universe "expanding faster than the speed of light." The universe is not a collection of galaxies sitting in space, all moving away from a central point. Instead, a more appropriate analogy is to think of the universe as a giant blob of dough with raisins spread throughout it (the raisins represent galaxies; the dough represents space). When the dough is placed in an oven, it begins to expand, or, more accurately, to stretch, keeping the same proportions as it had before but with all the distances between galaxies getting bigger as time goes on. "

So how do we measure this? As discussed in a previous question, the universe's expansion is determined by something called the Hubble constant, which is approximately equal to 71, measured in the technically useful but conceptually confusing units of "kilometers per second per megaparsec." In more sensible units, the Hubble constant is approximately equal to 0.007% per million years -- what it means is that every million years, all the distances in the universe stretch by 0.007%"
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

think of a balloon surface as space blow it up slowly .. but the question remains what is it expanding into ?

The reason why its hard to understand is because nobody really understands what happened at the big bang. Heance the LHC en.wikipedia.org...

and many other billion dollar experiments designed to see what happened at the "begining"

There all guesses and yes even educated guess is still a guess . Untill we find a way of quntum parrarel dimension jumping ...

laws of physics do tend to have some problems espically with the flow of the universe there are some regions of the universe that don't seem to go with the "flow"

a.k.a dark flow

fastforwad to 2:48

Yes if you go faster then speed of light then in theory you would be going back in time. but since you cant generate enough energy ...

"Traveling at the speed of light does not represent time travel. In fact, according to the theory of relativity, mass moving at the speed of light is impossible. As you approach the speed of light, according to the theory, your mass would increase, and the force required to keep accelerating would become larger. If you ever neared light speed, you would achieve infinite mass, and require infinite amounts of force to keep moving, thus making traveling at light speed impossible."

bestrentals4you.com...

also one more thing that is pretty cool against the cosmic speed limit but is probably an observational error

"Lobes of matter from the jet extend out to a distance of 250,000 light-years.[58] In pictures taken by the Hubble Space Telescope in 1999, the motion of Messier 87's jet was measured at four to six times the speed of light. This motion may be a visual result of the relativistic velocity of the jet, and not true superluminal motion. However, detection of such motion supports the theory that quasars, BL Lac objects and radio galaxies may all be the same phenomenon, known as active galaxies, viewed from different perspectives"

- en.wikipedia.org...

lol 4 to 6 times the speed of light!

Hope that helps !

Google Video Link

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Nothing that moves through space can move faster than light, however space itself is not bound by this law, and space itself can expand faster than the speed of light.

link   

I believe there are some things that are faster then the speed of light, it just hasn't been discovered yet. Once our technology gets better though im sure this will be used to travel through space without using massive amounts of fuel or wasting other resources but for now the speed of light seems to be quick enough.

P.S I am no space expert but just adding my 2 cents on the matter.

edit on 27-1-2011 by Stop-loss! because: I grew up a screw up

link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94

I don't believe it would be.
According to the way I understand it time began with the big bang.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Firstly, thank you everyone for the comments...

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I don't believe it would be.
According to the way I understand it time began with the big bang.

According to the way I understand as well, time began with the big bang.
But nothing is actually definite in physics..and just curiousity here...if time existed before...would what I'd be saying be true?

reply to post by seedofchucky

Wait...so it's been proved then?

Wow.

Originally posted by Anodyne
Nothing that moves through space can move faster than light, however space itself is not bound by this law, and space itself can expand faster than the speed of light.

Ahh...I missed this simple statement...this really helped, thank you.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Actually, there is a theory about that is called "Moffats Theory". Here are 3 links that might help you.

1. Science Daily

Moffat's theory - that the speed of light at the beginning of time was much faster than it is now - provides an answer to some of these cosmology problems.

2. John Moffat-Variable Speed of Light

In the early 1990s Moffat proposed a radical alternative theory: that the speed of light was as much as 30 orders of magnitude faster than its present value just following the big bang. He published a paper on the variable speed of light theory in the early 1990s but his work was essentially ignored. A few years later, João Magueijo, based at Imperial College in London, and his collaborator, Andrew Albrecht of the University of California at Davis, published a paper with a similar idea. Their paper made it into the more prestigious journal, Physical Review D, which had rejected Moffat's paper years earlier. When Moffat learned of this, he contacted Magueijo who, once he realized what had happened, was quick to give Moffat due credit for having first proposed the idea. In fact, Moffat and Magueijo became friends, and Magueijo even devoted a whole chapter to Moffat in his 2002 book Faster Than the Speed of Light. Moffat's work has since been cited much more often in academic journals. Recently, Moffat and Maguieijo published a joint paper on this topic.

3. Space Daily

In the early 1990s Moffat proposed a radical alternative theory: that the speed of light was faster closer to the time of the big bang. His early calculations suggested that light travelled as much as 1,030 times faster than its present value (186,000 miles per second) just following the explosive beginning of the universe.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace

edit on 28-1-2011 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join