It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Stossel's Hosts Libertarian State Of The Union Address With Ron Paul & Gary Johnson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
From Stossel's blog:

Tonight I go live on FBN after the State of the Union and the Republican response from Paul Ryan. My all-star libertarian panel will respond to the president’s speech. Hearing the president give his State of the Union address makes me wonder: what if I could set the agenda? So I’ll deliver my libertarian State of the Union.

stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com...

More here:
video.foxbusiness.com...

This was a great video, common sense and liberty was loud last night, I hope many people watched this
If not please watch it now and spread the word!

Say what you wish about Fox News, but they are currently the only one consistently giving a Freedom/Libertarian point of view, perhaps even more than Politico in fact.

What are your thoughts on this and how do you compare the message of this versus Obama's SOTU?

Thoughts ATS?
Also please spread the word and try to make everyone you know watch these videos.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Good videos and a great piece by Stossel. Here is Stossel's "State of the Union" and I agree with much of what he has said

President Obama fulfilled his constitutional duty and gave his report on the state of the union last night. Here's mine:

We're in deep trouble.

You know why. Our debt has passed $14 trillion, and yet our current spending plans will make that worse. The U.S. debt will reach Greek levels in just 10 years.

But do not despair. If we make reasonable cuts to what government spends, our economy can grow us out of our debt. Cutting doesn't just make economic sense, it is also the moral thing to do. Henry David Thoreau had it right when he "accepted(ed) the motto ... that government is best which governs least."

So what should we get rid of?

We start by closing the Department of Education, which saves $100 billion a year. Education ought to be in the free market. It's insane to take money from states only to launder it through Washington and then return it to states.

Next, we should close the Department of Housing and Urban Development: $41 billion. We had plenty of housing in America before a department was created. Let's get government out of that business.

Then we eliminate the Commerce Department: $9 billion. A government that can't count the votes accurately should not try to negotiate trade. Trade should be free. Free trade creates prosperity. And since trade should be free, we should eliminate all corporate welfare and all subsidies. That means: agriculture subsidies, green energy subsidies, ethanol subsidies and subsidies for public broadcasting. None of these is needed.

I propose selling Amtrak. Taxpayers will save money, and riders will get better service. Why is government in the transportation business? Let's have private companies compete to run the trains.

Read more:
townhall.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hey, that was almost like listening to smart people talk. What's up with that?!?

I have to admit, they were all making sense to me. Cuts all across the board. The Government can't keep within their means, spending wise. What do they spend most of the money on? The Government.

Drastic cuts, eliminating a lot of bureaucratic red tape machines that do nothing but bog things down and cost money, are needed. I think Stossel has some good ideas as to what could be cut in his little State of the Union deal linked to above. I think bringing home all the troops we keep stationed all over the world would save a heap of money, too.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
For those interested I am posting the Libertarian Platform Here...........

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have seen so many misconceptions, half truths and outright lies posted in the threads here about us I thought I would take people to the source

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

cool, interesting thread
I haven't come accross it
i'll check it out for sure

thanks

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Even before I knew what to call it I was a libertarian. Why? Because everything I've learned about human freedom has been deeply personal to me. For the last 100 years we've been blaming the notion of "too much liberty" on what is hurting our society. We've been hell bent on limiting what liberty we could without offending the sensibilities of the majority outright. Now the majority is starting to feel boxed in by everything we've set to ban, regulate, and tax.

And when it all fails they take us to war...

edit on 26-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join