It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant hole opens up behind house

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
well ,.. we are nearing the end times

But seriously,... we are nearing the end times

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Wow looking at that list, thanks by the way:

The largest sinkhole of the world is Xiaozhai Tiankeng - incredible, up to 662 m deep pit with nearly vertical walls. This is one of the most impressive natural attractions on Earth.

Thats one deep hole!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I find it strange that it is so uniform in shape - almost an exact circle! Very large as well - wouldn't want to be staying in that house at all right now.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

It seems a lot of things in nature manage to create perfect shapes, look at the giants causeway, or even the extremes of a snowflake. Never ceases to amaze.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
When I was in Europe last Christmas I went to a mining town and read some interesting info. I learned that Slovakia (and I'm sure this is true about a lot of other countries as well) has hundreds of miles of tunnels running under the ground. It also contains many natural caves underground. It's quite possible that if any of these tunnels become unstable someday, they'll create giant sink holes when they cave in. I don't know about this particular sink hole, but it's possible it could be mining tunnels or natural underground caverns (could be small or big, who knows). Even if no modern-time tunnels exist down there, it's possible that previous civilizations could have been mining in the same area. With enough rain, weather, minor earthquakes and ground shifting, it could be the last straw that broke the camel's back. That's just my theory.
edit on 18-1-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

No, he wasn't on to anything.

The lyrics themselves have little real meaning except that which you attach to them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

It's a good point to make, my county, and especially my town, is built on top of hundreds of mine shafts. Occasionally one will give way and a hole will appear randomly, heres a pic of one from just up the road in Egremont:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by 2manyquestions

It's a good point to make, my county, and especially my town, is built on top of hundreds of mine shafts. Occasionally one will give way and a hole will appear randomly, heres a pic of one from just up the road in Egremont:

Yeah, that certainly looks like a sink hole. It's not as big as the one in the OP, but certainly would make sense. Why else would a giant hole open up in the ground? Only one explanation; Either there was a large empty space underground formed naturally (which caved in), or it was man made at some point in history (and caved in).

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
As leemachino mentioned this has to do with the water tables. It’s a pretty common happening in places like Florida, and most lenders will make you carry sinkhole insurance on your property down here. I would have a difficult time believing that its becoming more common, unless it was proven to me that its simply not a matter of them being more reported now then in the past.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bee2010
I don't know why but this just creeps me out. I've heard of sink holes before but this is crazy.

Now I really love them.

edit on 18-1-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Absolutley right, same with earthquakes, just getting reported more. How many people here would have known about that hole in Egremont if I hadn't brought it up / posted pic? come on put your hands up, don't be shy....nobody? Exactly.

One of the wonders of the internet and / or global media coverage in the modern age, because, despite the damage caused, the money to repair and the potential life lost, some of them are still impressive to look at, something a lot of us would have missed 10-15 years or so ago.
edit on 18/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
When I was in Europe last Christmas I went to a mining town and read some interesting info. I learned that Slovakia (and I'm sure this is true about a lot of other countries as well) has hundreds of miles of tunnels running under the ground. It also contains many natural caves underground. It's quite possible that if any of these tunnels become unstable someday, they'll create giant sink holes when they cave in. I don't know about this particular sink hole, but it's possible it could be mining tunnels or natural underground caverns (could be small or big, who knows). Even if no modern-time tunnels exist down there, it's possible that previous civilizations could have been mining in the same area. With enough rain, weather, minor earthquakes and ground shifting, it could be the last straw that broke the camel's back. That's just my theory.
edit on 18-1-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

And you would be right. Sink holes are most common in locations where you have deep limestone layering below the surface. Over time, the water wears at the limestone through chemical reactions until you literally have streams cutting deeper and deeper into the strata. At some point, the ceiling of the cavern fails.
Why in a circle? IDK the answer to that one.

Google 'Karst', or just hit wiki HERE

Very common phenomenon, towards the bottom of the page there it lists many karst regions across the globe.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

OMG that animation is WIN beyond measure!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Lets send the sheeple to plug that bloody hole!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

It feels good to be right once in a while.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
An alien spacecraft took samples of our soil.

LOL Poorfool, that deserves a new thread.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
sorry i had to make a bathroom somewhere. i realy had to go!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join