It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunisia copycat burnings in 3 N.African countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Tunisia copycat burnings in 3 N.African countries

af.reuters.com

The self-immolation that set off the protest wave which toppled Tunisia's leader has led to apparent copycat protests in other north African states, with four men setting themselves on fire in Algeria and one each in Egypt and Mauritania.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Algerian set himself on fire to protest unemployment

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I reported that a man in algeria set himself alight yesterday. Now two more in other north african countries have set themselfs alight too.
This is spreading like wildfire and there is a smell of revolution in the air...
There are reports coming in of protests in lebenon too..
WTF is going on, how can protest spread so quickly..
social networking plays a role but this is moving at some spead. Dictators all over the world must be concerned in the light of recent events in tunisia.
This is a intersting article that helps explain the role of technology in protest

mhambi.com...

'404 dictator not found....

All of these countires have net censorhip but the infomation is still getting out..

happy days

kx

af.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It should be telling of the repression people face when they are willing to go to these extremes. The stranglehold many of the Middle Eastern tyrants have had for so long seems to be loosening.
Here is a fantastic thread outlining the recent developments in the region.
Political Crisis in the Arab World

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Crikey. Just shows that Martyrdom can be just as effective these days as it used to.

I'm still not sure I'd set myself on fire for a cause. Perhaps the person that I had the problem with, on the other hand...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It can spread because this desire has been setting within the hearts of these people throughout the Arab world. It’s not new, they have only been waiting on someone to do it and now that they know they have the power to rise up attempts will be made immediately. Add to that a strong sense of solidarity and you can expect to see immediate reactions.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Also look what is happening in Libya!

wlcentral.org...
www.al-bab.com...

Just two days after the overthrow of President Ben Ali in Tunisia, videos are circulating of disturbances in neighbouring Libya. Needless to say, this is causing a good deal of excitement on Twitter.

Colonel Gaddafi has been in power for almost 42 years, compared with a mere 23 for Ben Ali. In his second-to-last speech as president, Ben Ali referred to Gaddafi as "my dear brother" and thanked him for support. In a speech reported by the official Libyan news agency on Saturday, Gaddafi reciprocated:

"I am very pained by what is happening in Tunisia ... Tunisia now lives in fear ... What is this for? To change Zine al-Abidine? Hasn't he told you he would step down after three years? Be patient for three years ..."

THIS VIDEO IS FROM EGYPT

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I am following theses developements with great interest. How desperate has a human got to be to set themseves on fire. America must be watching very closely. I would imagine they would love to help the Iranian people topple their leaders. I have been to Tunisia on holiday and had no idea at the time (1995) that they were so repressed. Unfortunatly the tunisians may have shot themseves in the foot, because I can't imagine many Brits going there on holiday for a very long time to come. I wouldn't go again but thats mainly because although the staff at the hotel were great as soon as I was outside I felt a little intimidated by the men especially as I had a stunning girlfriend with me who drew attention.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Wow, let's learn from the African's and make this a global revolution!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I didnt know it had spread to libya as well. thank you for the work you have put into covering this topic..

kx

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Reports coming in of....

25 year old unemployed Yemeni immolate himself. 1st Yemeni suiciding

top topics

join