It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens, say scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Source - Guardian

UN should co-ordinate plans for dealing with extraterrestrials – and we can't guarantee that aliens will be friendly

Scientists argue that a branch of the UN must be given responsibility for "supra-Earth affairs" and formulate a plan for how to deal with extraterrestrials, should they appear.

The comments are part of an extraterrestrial-themed edition of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A published today. In it, scientists examine all aspects of the search for extraterrestrial life, from astronomy and biology to the political and religious fallout that would result from alien contact.

"Will a suitable process based on expert advice from proper and responsible scientists arise at all, or will interests of power and opportunism more probably set the scene?" asked Professor John Zarnecki of the Open University and Dr Martin Dominik of the University of St Andrews in the introductory paper. "A lack of co-ordination can be avoided by creating an overarching framework in a truly global effort governed by an international politically legitimated body." The pair argue that the UN has a ready-made mechanism for such a forum in its Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (Copuos).

I find it interesting that such discussions are no longer just the area of fringe characters and sci-fi. Scientists now wanting the UN to have contact style departments...hmm

Could they know something...think about it, civilization has been around for what, about 12k years recorded...why is there suddenly a urging for this to be instituted..it makes no rational sense. Its a bit like saying we now need a dimensional or time traveller department in the UN..but there is no such discussion.

What do they know about exterrestrials that they aren't releasing to the public?
edit on 11-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Good opinion but thread is here

ATS thread

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Could they know something...

It certainly seems that way.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
So now scientists are saying that the U.N. needs to start setting up a council to deal with this stuff. I've got a bet with my brother that aliens aren't real and, as such, wouldn't be appearing in our lifetime. Looks like I might need to scrounge around for that 100 bucks...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

They are already here. Always have been as documented in all the ancient scriptures and now in movie footage.

As you say, maybe they already know it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
So now scientists are saying that the U.N. needs to start setting up a council to deal with this stuff. I've got a bet with my brother that aliens aren't real and, as such, wouldn't be appearing in our lifetime. Looks like I might need to scrounge around for that 100 bucks...

My personal beliefs aside, I simply don't understand why this is coming up verses...say...a UN "ghost" ambassador department for the day ghosts will start coming into our dimension in full force...clearly they are seeing the two as not equal in fantasy...my question is..why...

And sure, I can speculate on the why personally, however I want to hear it from them..go on record as to why that is valid and the ghost ambassadors aren't, or the 4 horsemen ambassador for the apocolypse, etc

join