It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heat Emitting from Michigan Crack (new video)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The ground split open October 4th of last year, in Michigan, as I am sure all ATSers are aware. But if you missed the big news story, here is one of the videos documenting the shift in the earth… posted Ocober 7th :

And here is the most recent video, documenting the heat rising and melting the snow around the base of the crack:

So my questions to the brilliant minds of this site is:

1.] Is this crack linked to the San Madrid Fault?

2.] What is the source of the heat radiating from the crack?

3.] What are your thoughts on the crack in general and the shifting taking place on earth?

4.] Will America indeed split in half as so many prophecies point to?

5.] Might the heat contain harmful gases?
edit on 1/11/11 by staciebee because: because I'm Special frEd!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Thanks for the flags, but answers would be even better!
edit on 1/11/11 by staciebee because: flipped my lid!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee
So my questions to the brilliant minds of this site is:

3.] What are your thoughts on the crack in general and the shifting taking place on earth?

edit on 1/11/11 by staciebee because: because I'm Special frEd!

before i address your questions, please check this link for an update ...www.abovetopsecret.com... and please, embed it here (i don't know how)

ok first, i believe you mean the New Madrid fault zone and if so, then yes, it is likely linked -- although not directly the "NM" fault line ... see if these links help you understand how they weave together.
www.showme.net...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

heat source = magma
my thoughts have been posted all over this site ... check my log
natural geological event resulting from new pressures brought on by a changing Earth
"will it split in half"? it very well could but even i won't say it will.
1811-1812 the NM quakes caused the Mississippi River to flow in the opposite direction ... what do you think 'will' happen?
harmful gases? - absolutely ... in other words, use extreme caution

WOW, less than 50 minutes post time and you quit already? guess i wasted my time

edit on 11-1-2011 by Honor93 because: to acknowledge OP

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Crack in the ground with heat coming out?

It could turn into a volcano, get yer geology books and read it!

Like the guy above me said, it could emit toxic gases. Even just CO2 can be extremely dangerous and could cause suffocation. You should have a mask and oxygen bottle with you
edit on 11-1-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I will respond tomorrow and follow your instructions...I really should've hit the sack about an hour or two ago. Sorry to disappoint. Look for my responses around 3-4pm CST!

AGAIN, sorry. I just figure once a post leaves the new threads section that it is lost and gone forever! :p

Take care & vaya con dios!
BTW, thank both of you for responding!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Just noticed today's date...1/11/11...just the sight of it gave me a sick feeling. I hope it is just an ordinary day...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
If there is indeed heat being emitted from the crack, I don't believe it is a good sign. Heat would indicate magma, friction, or pressure. I'm no geologist, but with heat I would expect more shifting of the ground at the least.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
What is more alarming in those Videos is,that it looks like it moved so much...my guess would be a new Volcano Forming.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Mt Clemens Michigan was, at one time, famous for its sulfur baths. I remember what was probably the last bath left in Mt Clemens when I was a kid. It was next to the old dairy and smelled like rotten eggs. Those are the type of springs come up in geologically active zones. I don't remember if the baths were hot springs, but it seems that they were steamy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I linked your thread post to this other ATS thread, cracking an eggshell

They both tie in, as the previous thread has many links to the same subject as well as info on the geological scructures in that area. It's all on the New Madrid or secondary faults. The earthquakes in indiana may be linked. To early to tell, but activity does seem to be ramping up.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
What is more alarming in those Videos is,that it looks like it moved so much...my guess would be a new Volcano Forming.

Perhaps someone should contact USGS about this ASAP.

It may eventually be important to install seismometers and tiltmeters to determine if it's really magma based and determine if evacuations are necessary.

Because if it turned out be one, it could potentially save many lives that the warning is given in advance. Even if it's just out-gassing. Toxic gasses could kill. Have the experts do their jobs!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Certainly is interesting. I would prefer if he'd taken a thermometer to that though, rather than his hand, you know. A thermometer could give an actual reading, where his hand can't. The issue there is that his hand will feel warmer if his hand is used to the air temperature around him and that crack/fault is even slightly warmer he could notice it. The snow around the crack would have melted a bit more, I would personally expect, snow doesn't usually hang on to grass hanging over an edge anyway and that doesn't look exposed or large enough to form a cornice.

That said, if that is definitely a constant supply of heat coming up, that really isn't good. Options for source of heat would be (in no particular order):
1. Magmatic - direct convection from deep heat sources through rock. Worrying, to say the least, though ground heat not at the crack could be interesting too. Example: Campi Flegrei, Italy

2. Geothermal - Water being heated by deep sources, but only the water coming high up enough to be noticeable. Much better than previous, but hydrothermal events aren't too great either, take Yellowstone as an example of what heated water can do. Example, Yellowstone, hydrothermal explosions
3. Coal fire underground - depends on rock types, is possible and happened before. Need to know exactly where this guy is for that to be confirmed or denied. Of course, that doesn't explain ground movement. Rough idea Coal Seam fires

4. Tectonic - Explains ground movement, but the heat is an issue here, so not sure on a heat source other than friction, which seems unsuited to a constant supply. No example, this is mostly guessing on my part, refute as needed.

There may be more, this is just what I can think of..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by staciebee

Unlikely, the NM fault is several hundred feet underground buried under tons of rock. I guess it may be possible. Of what concern would that be? There are faults everywhere and NM is just another that by all accounts may have stopped shifting, the current releases being caused by pressures that are not being replaced unlike normal faulting zones.

It is the earth. You don't have to go far - just a dozen or so feet in most areas and you are away from the effects of frost and snow. Cellars tend to be around a constant 55 de F, the idea temperature for beer unlike that frozen American stuff that is not real. It most certainly is not magma. The chap in the video did not measure the 'heat' so the whole video is pointless. If we assumed the temperature of the air to be around 30 deg F (2 deg below freezing) then the heat differential could be as much as 25 deg F. On a cold hand that would feel like heat. Go back there in mid summer in temperatures of say 70 deg F and you would be saying OMG there is cold air coming out of the crack. It is all relative.

It is a crack! These things happen. The earth moves.

Not in your lifetime! One day yes probably.

No. It may have that poison CO2 in it, and possibly even some O2 and there may be an element of di-hydrogen monoxide but unless this is directly above an oil shale formation it will not have anything like methane in it and anyway methane is not harmful to humans in the sort of concentrations we would see here.

edit on 11/1/2011 by PuterMan because: missing words, bad spelling - the usual stuff!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

I guess we came up with similar answers at the same time!

You posted as I was writing.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
hmm sounds like Gaia is setting things in motion to get rid of a cancer that plagues the earth. It is possible another volcanic hotspot is building underneath the american continent? I wonder if theres been any uplift and downlift on a large scale on the continent. Interesting times we live in.

also to add after reading some comments on you tube theres one thing that would definitely say if the crack was giving off heat and thats a thermometre. Why didnt one think to bring one???
edit on 11/1/2011 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

I agree with you waving his hand around and telling us he feels heat is really lame. Show us there is heat with a thermometer.

Not impressed with the snow melt, now if it went on for a few feet on both sides it would be interesting.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

I felt the same way about getting a thermo-reading. I kept thinking, you say it's hot, but I want to see how hot it is! I agree also that if it was real hot, the snow should've been melted back more from the crack.

Of course 30-40°F could be considered hot in Michigan!
edit on 1/11/11 by staciebee because: edit

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I particularly like your comment on the beer...and couldn't agree more..despite being American

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by staciebee

Will America indeed split in half as so many prophecies point to?

Well some have said that would happen, and if you take a good look at the Faults, it does seem very possible. Here is a page with the maps of several predictors. For myself, I could see it. Say the ocean level rose 10 feet. The Great Lakes would become one big lake, and the Mighty Mississippi River would gain too, it would be some 40 miles wide, some have said. The thing is, we don't know, it has never happened before in recorded history. All we can do is speculate on it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Depending on the temp. I feel the opening is linked to a deeper source of heat deep below and if this opening is linked and the heat source is liquid mineral then it could possible be a prob. As far as the fault I do feel its related but not directly. The fault may be adjusting as of now and causing openings like this to occure. The pole shift can be a major influence and as time goes on if there is more hotter temps. detected then it should be a sign that that cavern is filling with hotter fluid mineral. Someone high ranked (scientist) knows exactly whats up because they have satillite images of the temps. comming from below the surface. And since there are no high ranked scientist speaking on this issue it kinda seems strange. WE SHALL SEE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join