It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble telescope zeroes in on green blob in space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – The Hubble Space Telescope got its first peek at a mysterious giant green blob in outer space and found that it's strangely alive. The bizarre glowing blob is giving birth to new stars, some only a couple million years old, in remote areas of the universe where stars don't normally form. The blob of gas was first discovered by a Dutch school teacher in 2007 and is named Hanny's Voorwerp (HAN'-nee's-FOR'-vehrp). Voorwerp is Dutch for object.

news.yahoo.com...

Alive?

Well I thought this was kinda cool along with this www.galaxyzoo.org...

here is a zoom-able picture.

edit on 10-1-2011 by blangger because: picture

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by blangger

Looks like a Blooming Borg Intercepter to me!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Beautiful - the colors in the Universe are amazing. So its like an blob egg giving birth to stars!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I still think it's swamp gas.

...or The Green Cosmic Burp of Life haha

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I am constantly amazed at what a twenty year telescope is discovering this Hubble. And am excited at what with newer techs, and the deeper we go into space with our eye's and ears on what we will find. And with Voyager an even older craft reaching the edge of the solar system, Voyager one it's amazing.

I forgot the article on Voyager 1 whoops: news.discovery.com...
edit on 10-1-2011 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Looks like a Blooming Borg Intercepter to me!

NAH, Looks like a big green frog with lilly pads in the back ground

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's giving birth to stars.

hmmm..

Could it be whats on the other end of a "Black Hole"?
The stuff has to go somewhere you know.....

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
You know Hubble has been on quite a roll as of late [ counting some stuff from last year as well ] though it seems blobs are becoming a bit more apparent in it's field of vision. So it seems that the green blob is essentially a different "strand" or shape of a galaxy as the Yahoo link seems to state that it is birthing stars. Interesting that it's the size of our own galaxy, but at the same time took on a different shape. So being that it was formed from the collision of two other galaxies does that mean their are more "blobs" just floating about?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent
So being that it was formed from the collision of two other galaxies does that mean their are more "blobs" just floating about?

I know this was one of the early pictures that Hubble obtained and is suggested to be a birthplace of stars also.
edit on 10-1-2011 by blangger because: fix

apod.nasa.gov...
edit on 10-1-2011 by blangger because: info

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
It's giving birth to stars.

hmmm..

Could it be whats on the other end of a "Black Hole"?
The stuff has to go somewhere you know.....

More like Black Hole Gas!

Nice photo though

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Oh wow nice picture!
though I do wonder that one looks like it may have a little bit of a shape to it and not the twisting and turning of the blob though it may be due to the perception of both pictures. Or perhaps me looking at the wrong one in the picture

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

Well they say that the "blob" was created by two galaxy passing close by each other. Maybe that's why it is kinda pulled apart.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Is this related to hanny's voorwerp?
It looks similar...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
Is this related to hanny's voorwerp?
It looks similar...

It is Hanny's Voorwerp. People have been incorrectly attributing the discovery to Hubble. Hubble was just pointed at it so we can get a pretty picture.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Wait the one you linked or the other one that the OP has? That one ya I noticed I meant the other one that you linked it seemed like it was having somewhat of a circular shape to it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This "blob" is the size of a galaxy and is creating stars that are only several million years old. Green is the color that's given off when hydrogen is present.

This could quite possibly be the formation of a galaxy in it's infancy. Something never before seen.

The question would be where did all this hydrogen originate from? Can't be a planetary nebulae or a super nova. Something else is responsible.

Could a "tear" in the fabric of space created it? What caused the tear?

I don't know. I'm not an astrophysicist. This is fascinating to say the least.

S & F.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Looks like the Flying Spaghetti Monster's summer home.

Fascinating.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

So if this "blob" is giving birth to stars and the bible is correct, this blob is god. LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by countrytruck

Steven Hawking "the actual point of creation lies outside the scope of presently known laws of physics"
www.leaderu.com...

Hugh Ross, an astrophysicist, has written very persuasively on this topic. He again brings us into the philosophical implications. Ross says that, by definition, Time is that dimension in which cause and effect phenomena take place. . . . If time's beginning is concurrent with the beginning of the universe, as the space-time theorem says, then the cause of the universe must be some entity operating in a time dimension completely independent of and pre-existent to the time dimension of the cosmos. This conclusion is powerfully important to our understanding of who God is and who or what God isn't. It tells us that the creator is transcendent, operating beyond the dimensional limits of the universe. It tells us that God is not the universe itself, nor is God contained within the universe.

www.leaderu.com...

According to these guys the answer is no, the blob is not God.
edit on 11-1-2011 by blangger because: Link

edit on 11-1-2011 by blangger because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by blangger because: haha

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Isn't that what a Nebula is?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join