It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens, say scientists!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

World governments should prepare a co-ordinated action plan in case Earth is contacted by aliens, according to scientists.

Scientists argue that a branch of the UN must be given responsibility for "supra-Earth affairs" and formulate a plan for how to deal with extraterrestrials, should they appear.

The comments are part of an extraterrestrial-themed edition of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A published today. In it, scientists examine all aspects of the search for extraterrestrial life, from astronomy and biology to the political and religious fallout that would result from alien contact.

www.guardian.co.uk...

While this is nothing new to most, and some will argue they are already here.... This is out of todays Guardian.
Personally I would agree with the general sentiment that there should be some plan put in place. Last thing we really need would be some governments military being the ones that take control of first contact, if it were ever to occur.

I like this bit too, seems not even the Guardian is above a bit of fear mongering.

According to Simon Conway Morris, a professor of evolutionary palaeobiology at Cambridge University, anyone planning for alien contact should prepare for the worst.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Strange,your link brought up a page error. Did you put the URL in correctly in the link field?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

The link is working fine for me. Not sure what is going on if you can't see it.

Here is a link to the full Discussion Meeting Issue 'The detection of extra-terrestrial life and the consequences for science and society' organized and edited by Martin Dominik and John C. Zarnecki
rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org...
That way you can get a more detailed idea of what went on.
edit on 10-1-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
seriously just check out the night skies for 10 minutes. they look just like stars at first glance but if you keep an eye on them for more than a second youll realize the light starts pulsing and changing colors a bit. then youll realize that they actually wiggle around in the sky and will literally jump around in different directions. theyre flying all over the place. i can't wait to meet them!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

"Why should we 'prepare for the worst'? First, if intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far from glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," wrote Morris in the journal's special issue.

wow pazcat,

"they will look just like us"

Morris sure is assuming a lot. If someone makes a statement like that here.................well you know.

Actually I'm starting to lean towards venus myself.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The link in the OP works for me. And I support the concept of the UN being the intermediary between Earth and any ET's. The UN is the only logical choice to be an Earth representation to them, until we ever develop a United Earth agency.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

Yeah, that's one hell of an assumption to be making. I don't think I can agree with that.
Might be right but then again you can't really say that.
I haven't gone through the full meeting notes in the second link so I'm not sure what else is in there.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
As I'm sure most people are aware, the U.N has already appointed an earth ambassador:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Surely logic would dictate that that also means they have started planning for what they'd do if something happened. Unless, of course, the whole thing is just for show, and is gearing up towards false disclosure. That seems likely to me, given all the publicity this has been receiving recently, along with the completely contradictory comments the pope keeps making about aliens. Interesting times we live in, regardless.
edit on 10-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well that is a charge that she denies, she say's she is not an ambassador for Earth.

www.guardian.co.uk...

"It sounds really cool but I have to deny it,"

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Yes, you're right, and I've just seen a video of an interview of her denying it and laughing anything of the likes off as totally absurd. However, the initial story was shown by several reputable media sources (not saying that means they're fool proof, but it is peculiar). Also, on the U.N website you can search and find a lot of results on OOSA, which she is head of, such as:

www.un.org...

OOSA means office for outer space affairs. I hadn't heard of it before, have you, or anyone else? I thought it was a hoax initially, it does have a website and a few other websites claim it's a hoax- seemed understandable to me, anyone can create a hoax website. But, after searching the U.N website, it's easy to find a variety of their own information about it. It seems very strange to me, still not quite sure what to make of it.

Edit: Ok, I realise now that OOSA is perfectly inocuous and simply deals with monitering launches and the general surrounding area of space, I was just unsure as I didn't know which sources to trust and there are some pretty polarised opinions about it. Anyway, doesn't it seem like the original suggestion of a plan would be common sense? The majority of scientists agree aliens exist, so to not have a "just in case" plan would be a bit wreckless. In reality, it's highly likely they've already got a plan in place already and just don't tell us about it!
edit on 10-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
S&F Op interesting stuff. The guardian is a reputable source of info, none of that tabloid rubbish. I would very much like to read the paper that these scientists authored. If anything, it would be a good read I'd imagine.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
UN plan for 'alien ambassador' a case of science fiction?

www.guardian.co.uk...www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

I think the first time I heard it or at least paid attention was when the 'Ambassador' reports came in last year.
But I did know they had something setup for space and space laws type of thing.

reply to post by Smugallo

Here is the full release from the Astronomical society. I think.
rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This IS getting really creepy now. Nations starting to disclose UFO related Files. At least 6 Hollywood Movies that deal with Aliens and UFO´s coming out this Year. A Documentation about Area 51. Increase in UFO sightings. Strange things going on with our Planet and now Scientists and the UN get more Mainstream with the Idea of dealing with E.T... and all this just in the last few Weeks
(probably forgot some Signs happening lately)

They know something is coming is my guess...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
This IS getting really creepy now. Nations starting to disclose UFO related Files. At least 6 Hollywood Movies that deal with Aliens and UFO´s coming out this Year. A Documentation about Area 51. Increase in UFO sightings. Strange things going on with our Planet and now Scientists and the UN get more Mainstream with the Idea of dealing with E.T... and all this just in the last few Weeks

And we know it in our guts that something is up. I am excited and worried at the same time..

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by iversusvsversusi
seriously just check out the night skies for 10 minutes. they look just like stars at first glance but if you keep an eye on them for more than a second youll realize the light starts pulsing and changing colors a bit. then youll realize that they actually wiggle around in the sky and will literally jump around in different directions. theyre flying all over the place. i can't wait to meet them!

I dont believe UFOs are visiting us and dont know what i saw as a teenager, but this is pretty much what i and another person saw. We saw something like stars moving in the night sky and first assumed it was just satellites, but then they suddenly changed direction randomly before vanishing a few minutes later.

I have never seen such lights since then even though i have spent some hours looking at night sky since then.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon

I think films that include not of earth sentient species have been around every year since film began, not sure there has been that much of an upsurge? The same could be said about films that show demonic activity, but I don't think disclosure is being put forward in that instance. Let's face it, movie companies will put out what their demographics tell them people want to see.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The important fact here to remember is that these Royal Society member's are reputable and credible scientific academics that have bothered to hold a meeting on this kind of topic.I for one think that when these kind of individuals give time, consideration and manifest there perceptions on the ET subject out in the open its time to realise that we are indeed entering a whole new era of perceptions, expectations and possibilities of the notion that we could have never really been alone in this vastness of space we call the universe.

It is indeed exciting times to be around and i will not be surprised if ETs are found/make contact or their existence is confirmed officially.Indeed i remember in one of Tim Goods books back in the 90s that he stated he was told that there is an ongoing public education programme going on by not only the various governments that have come and gone but by certain ET races as well, that this goal is to slowly ,step by step or stepping stone agenda prepare the public to the reality of ET existence.Makes sense.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
On another note, another reputable paper, The Scotsman, also published an article today. What I found interesting is that it was about the possibility of ET life, but unrelated to this story. Things are getting weird..

Here is a link to the Article i mentioned

This was published in print today, as that's where I initially read it, this is the online version.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Smugallo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

According to Simon Conway Morris, a professor of evolutionary palaeobiology at Cambridge University, anyone planning for alien contact should prepare for the worst.

I'm sorry but if they are capable of traveling billions of miles to get here then they are obviously way more advanced than we are, there isn't much in the way to do if the Worst were to occur.

<<   2  3 >>

join