It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday.

“My staff is working on looking at the different legislation fixes that we might be able to do and we might be able to introduce as early as tomorrow,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a Sunday afternoon phone interview.

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun — and no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

McCarthy said she plans to confer with House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to see “if we can work something through” in the coming week. McCarthy’s bill will look to protect ordinary people, she said, but did not offer further details.

Well they wasted no time seizing on this opportunity. As if anyone doubted this was going to be the outcome in the end. Afterall "We can't let a good crisis go to waste".

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The thing that caught me here was the quote "stockpiles of ammo like the shooter used".

Last I looked, a single box of bullets wasnt a stockpile. Suck propaganda being spewed here.

Think Ill go out tomorrow and buy another case, for my "stockpile"

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I own a gun but I agree with them. People who are not mentally stable should not be allowed to keep their guns.

This guy was kicked out of school because he was deemed a danger to the students or himself, if he got a gun after that point then that is an issue. How you approach it is what worries me, how do you limit a person like that but not the average joe?
edit on 9-1-2011 by whoshotJR because: I can't spell

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by WWJFKD

I own a gun but I agree with them. People who are not mentally stable should not be allowed to keep their guns.

This guy was kicked out of school because he was deemed a danger to the students or himself, if he got a gun after that point then that is an issue. How you approach it is what worries me, how do you limit a person like that but not the average joe?

Thing is, plenty of mentally disturbed people go their whole life undiagnosed...just look at ATS:lol
just playin)

And, to be quite honest, its extremely easy to get an unregistered gun.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Quotes of note from the article

Another vocal supporter for gun control, Illinois Rep. Mike Quigley, told POLITICO that he hopes “something good” can come from the Arizona tragedy – perhaps discussion on a new assault weapon ban, sales at gun shows and tracing measures.

Like what the erosion of the peoples Right to keep and bear arms, something good like that?

“The ability to buy a weapon that fires hundreds of bullets in less than a minute,” said Quigley. “He had an additional magazine capability. That’s not what a hunter needs. That’s not what someone needs to defend their home. That’s what you use to hunt people.”

I don't hunt and as far as home defense goes, that all depends on who or what organization you are defending it from.

I knew where this was going the second I heard about the incident but I had no idea they intended to move this quickly.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

edit on 9-1-2011 by raceway40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWJFKD
...Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun...

More restrictive gun laws will have no effect. The above is already covered on the ATF "yellow sheet", required for the transfer of firearms by licensed dealers, if Ms. McCarthy would bother to educate herself.

Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

ATF Form 4473

Which also makes it a part of the background check.

edit on 9-1-2011 by WTFover because: BB code error and added last line

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

It sucks, but there is no good solution. You have to have some way to evaluate someone as a person who might use a weapon to commit a crime. How do you evaluate that potential? Isn't that subjective? There is a fine line between preventing a mentally unstable person from buying a gun, and preventing a person who may or may not have mental issues to some extent from legally exercising his second amendment rights. And it gets worse - what if some normal guy legally buys a gun, no problem there right? What if something happens to him that causes him to lose it? Who catches that, who takes his gun away? Can they before it's too late? It's a logistical nightmare with many opportunities for abuse of the system, (think - "may" issue concealed carry laws)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
My guess is that there will be many people lined up to sign and support this. This guy (in az) would have gotten a gun just like any other psycho. These "laws" don't make it harder/impossible for mentally ill or criminals to get guns. No. They can buy them all day long off the street. They do make it more of a hassle for the regular folks to buy one though. They will slowly pass more and more bills until an honest man can't own one at all. All for the safety of the American people Of course. Anyone wanting to keep a weapon in their future will be risking their lives to do so.

I do not plan on giving any of mine up...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by WWJFKD

Thing is, plenty of mentally disturbed people go their whole life undiagnosed...just look at ATS:lol
just playin)

And, to be quite honest, its extremely easy to get an unregistered gun.

So true lol, they are the reason I have a .45 in the bedroom

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

They have to move this quickly. The tragedy is still fresh as are people's fears... they have to cash in ASAP for the best possible outcome.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This new bill is being discussed here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join