It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Hygiene

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have discovered a very thought-provoking address that was given by a physician in 1862: "THE TRUE HEALING ART: Or, HYGIENIC vs. DRUG MEDICATION - AN ADDRESS DELIVERED AT THE SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE, WASHINGTON, D. C., BY R. T. TRALL, M.D.

I think the key paragraph of this address is:

The effect of drug-curing or drug-killing, as the case may be--I mean drug medication--is to lock up, as it were, the causes of the disease within the system, and to induce chronic and worse diseases. The causes should be expelled, not retained. The remedial struggle--the disease--should be aided, regulated, directed, so that it may successfully accomplish its work of purification, not subdued nor thwarted with poisons which create new remedial efforts (drug diseases), and thus embarrass and complicate the vital struggle.

My understanding from this document is that this doctor learned to view the symptoms of disease as the manifestation of the body ridding itself of toxins and that drugs are not healing - they only mask symptoms and then cause additional problems for the body.

After reading this I wanted information about the "true healing art" Trall refers to - so I did searches and ended up focusing on the term "Natural Hygiene." One of the websites I clicked on had a testimonial from a person who stated that she had been diagnosed by her doctor as having the condition ulcerative colitis, but that the medical establishment could not help her get well. She ended up doing her own research and found the book Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. She said that this book taught her about Natural Hygiene and carrying out the recommendations in the book made it possible for her to heal herself. Basically what it amounts to is a healthy diet.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose
the symptoms of disease as the manifestation of the body ridding itself of toxins and that drugs are not healing - they only mask symptoms and then cause additional problems for the body.

So, when an infant has acute diarrhea that leads to dehydration and death...these are "symptoms" of the body "ridding itself of toxins"?

And the antibiotics that can save that infant are only "marking symptoms"?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
this is why i dont take any of the paracetamal etc, i usually try to keep my body full of natural vitamin and healthy nutriants that can fight the bad effects. People say an Apple a day keeps the Doctor away.. and its partly true due to all the effects it gives you! and if your done with apples try Oranges, Vitaminc C can go a long way. Sunshine gives Vitamin D, Water can heal you and get things into your bloodstream quicker.
Natural is the way to go

ofcoursei n extreme cases such as possible death locking the virus up is a good thing as with it locked up it allows the body to regain its natural state
edit on 4-1-2011 by Detrucci because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Another excellent read is "The Post-Antibiotic Age: Germ Theory" by Tim O'Shea.

The next to the last paragraph:

Here is what a normal life should be like:

You're born. You get no drugs and no vaccinations. During childhood you have the usual illnesses, but conservative treatment gets you through them without antibiotics or drugs, and you build your natural immune defenses. You don't eat white sugar, white flour, too much meat or cheese, or drink milk or soft drinks. You concentrate on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and a clean, natural diet. You never learn to drink coffee or to smoke cigarettes. The only pills you take are powerful whole food vitamins and enzymes and minerals, which are part of your daily intake. You drink at least 1 liter of water every day. Into adulthood, you never get sick: no colds, no flu, no headaches, no diabetes, no ADD, no "thyroid problems," no panic attacks, growing pains, fatigue, or digestive disorders, no high blood pressure. The only pains you experience come from accidental injury. Perhaps you do moderate exercise or sports activity to maintain mobility and general fitness. You look to the care of your spine. Your entire adulthood is spent in this disease-free mode. As you age, your mind gets sharper. You experience no arthritis or osteoporosis, no Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. Finally one day after 90 or 100 years, you flicker like a candle and go out.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Natural is the way to go. US #1 source of income- legal 'dope'. I see new medicine everytime I blink. There are some interesting natural ways to cure ones body of dis-ease.....and yes diarhea (sp?), a running nose, fever, or anything weird thing the body does IS its way of correcting itself and isolating the issue then removing it.
The root cause for every dis-ease is misuse of the body. Death is even a disease when you put things into their proper light. The heart and muscles are said to get stronger with time not weaker. A 50 year old that ate properly and excercised(sp??) regularly, will have a stronger heart than someone half the age that ate properly and excercised.
Acid

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

You're born. You get no drugs and no vaccinations. During childhood you have the usual illnesses, but conservative treatment gets you through them without antibiotics or drugs, and you build your natural immune defenses. You don't eat white sugar, white flour, too much meat or cheese, or drink milk or soft drinks. You concentrate on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and a clean, natural diet. You never learn to drink coffee or to smoke cigarettes.

Mary Rose:

The ideas you present to us are intriguing and I must admit, that I have never heard these coined "Natural Hygiene," while, though, perhaps "Natural Remedies."

Having a large extended family in the Mediterranean areas, seeing is believing.

From your quote above, their course of "natural hygiene" consists of exactly the same factors; I will point out that drinking milk is essential, however that is goats' milk (without additives, of course); coffee is another substance that is believed to have beneficial effects.

The relatives that I have seen become ill have wavered from this style of thinking, over the years, and adopted cigarette smoking because those chose to come to the universities in the US or the UK and/or hookah/she-sha, etc. led them to that avenue.

What I find ironic, is that one can go to *any* pharmacy, in many countries, and simply *request* a certain drug after explaining their symptoms to the pharmacist. You would think that would lead to greater abuse of pharmaceuticals; but it is almost like the "forbidden fruit" analogy of having to jumping through many hoops in order to get an antibiotic--which is prevalent in the US.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

The pH of the human body is maintained in a very rigid range (7.35-7.45 for all blood-exposed areas), with the only exceptions being in highly compartmentalized parts of the body. Additionally, your blood has a well-developed carbonate buffering system to maintain that pH.

Suggesting that someone is "acidic" or "alkaline" shows a severe deficiency in your understanding of basic human biology.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

You don't . . . drink milk . . .

Why not?

Info, anyone?
edit on 01/04/11 by Mary Rose because: Format

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You don't . . . drink milk . . .

Why not?

Info, anyone?
edit on 01/04/11 by Mary Rose because: Format

Years ago my son had severe chronic constipation problems; the MD prescribed laxatives. After a year had gone by, and still no improvement, I went to a naturopath who diagnosed a sensitivity to milk and milk products. I removed milk from his diet and problems disappeared after a few days. Around that time I stopped drinking milk and noticed my skin clearing up...minor blemishes went away.

I read up a bit and found many websites that claimed milk raises your body acidity level; causing all sorts of problems. One of those problems allegedly is that the body, in an attempt to rebalance the natural PH levels, leaches calcium from the bones. Many articles made the connection between milk intake and onset of osteoporosis...pointing out that osteoporosis isn't a problem in most of the world where milk isn't consumed as much as in North America.

I'm no expert, but I don't drink milk (I'm middle-aged) and my children haven't drunk milk for most of their lives. We all seem to be healthier as a result.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

Very interesting.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Milk is nature's perfect food... for baby cows! I have not drunk milk since age 14 (now in my fifties) and my doctor says I have the arteries of a 12-year-old. Coincidence? I don't know. At the same time as I eschewed milk, I also stopped eating any margarine or other hydrogenated fats, and stopped drinking while eating, to avoid diluting the natural digestive fluids (acids, enzymes, etc.). It has been good for me. Although it is expensive and cooking is time-consuming, I try to eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. I am not an ounce overweight and I attribute it to the fresh foods.

By the way, the food in hospitals is about as bad as you can imagine. I have a friend who is hospitalized for a long time, and I bring her fresh food as often as I can. I don't know how they expect anyone to regain health while eating the crap they make them eat!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
According to the website whale.to, Natural Hygiene began in the USA with the work of Dr. Isaac Jennings in 1822.

Following in his footsteps were Dr. Graham (of the Graham cracker), Dr. Trall, Dr. John Tilden (1851-1940), and Dr. Herbert Shelton (1895-1985).

Whale.to provides numerous links.

There is also a wealth of information at International Natural Hygiene Society (INHS).

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Why do we always attack things, even when we believe our understanding is superior.

Suggesting that someone is "acidic" or "alkaline" shows a severe deficiency in your understanding of basic human biology.

Okay, I will try to do this the right way.
This knowledge is recognized in japan, and in every hospital they give alkaline water to their patients. There are also 7 natural alkaline producing wells in the world. One is in Mexico and for every single week up until about 03, Magic Johnson received this water.......>fresh.......every single week from Mexico.

So with all of that mentioned about the blood.......Does that still erase the fact that all dis-eases or sickness of any kind including death are acid based?????? You are absolutely correct, the body as a whole do wonderful things to maintain its 'natural' order. But when 'unnatural' things are introduced to, it malfunctions.
So your absolutely correct about your point of view. But don't limit your understanding, You may understand somethings others may not, you should humble yourself in the fact that YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING.
So yes my point stands, dis-ease, discomfort, stress and sickness are all derived from you bodies intake. It is narrowed down to acid and alkaline.....
**Im not saying the body doesnt need acid, please let the record reflect this.
edit on 5-1-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: had to add a word

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Ahem...

Smallpox

tetanus

rabies

Bubonic plague

Cholera

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
most people dont seem to see it, but humans are a part of nature, and nature's pretty good at taking care of itself. it always finds a way.
how did the human species survive for hundreds of thousnads of years without pharma'? oh ... we did.
weak genes die strong genes live. its nice that science can help people live, but ensuring the survival of weak genes isnt good for the human race.
i think most pharma is purely fo money and simply isnt needed. eg shampoo, hair cleans its self, you only need shampoo if you use shampoo.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
From a Health Education section on the Life Enthusiast website, "Balance Your Body's Internal pH":

How Your Body's pH Balance
Easily Becomes Too Acidic

Eating processed & cooked foods, smoking, consuming alcohol, lack of sleep, stress, toxin overload, lack of exercise, and any process that deprives your cells of oxygen or minerals will turn your pH level towards acidic. This adversely affects your absorption of nutrients, elimination of toxins, and the proficient functioning of your immune system. All of these are crucial for your health and well being.

The Standard American Diet (abbreviated SAD) is extremely acid-forming: far too high in acid producing animal products (cooked meat, eggs, dairy, and refined white flour, sugar & salt), and far too low in alkaline producing foods (fresh fruits & vegetables). . . .

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
This knowledge is recognized in japan, and in every hospital they give alkaline water to their patients.

Really? In EVERY hospital in Japan?

I can't find a single reference for this information when I search for "alkaline water Japan". Please provide a scientific (as in, not a blog, not an opinion piece) source for this information.

every single week up until about 03, Magic Johnson received this water.......>fresh.......every single week from Mexico.

Source please.

you should humble yourself in the fact that YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING.

Admitting that you are not all-knowing is NOT the same thing as accepting blatantly false statements, especially when they are presented without evidence.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
"Alkaline water is used in various japanese hospitals to treat many degenerative diseases that develope due to the acidification of the body. Alkaline water is also called many other names such as ionized water, Microwater, Microstructured water, Kangen water, electrolysed water and anti-oxidant water."

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Here is what a normal life should be like:

. . . You never learn to drink coffee . . .

I have to smile because I see in a book I have, Reverse Aging by Sang Whang, that he lists coffee as an alkaline forming food (page 68). He states that his information comes from a table in the book Acid & Alkaline by Herman Aihara.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

From a Health Education section on the Life Enthusiast website, "Balance Your Body's Internal pH":

How Your Body's pH Balance
Easily Becomes Too Acidic

Eating processed & cooked foods, smoking, consuming alcohol, lack of sleep, stress, toxin overload, lack of exercise, and any process that deprives your cells of oxygen or minerals will turn your pH level towards acidic. This adversely affects your absorption of nutrients, elimination of toxins, and the proficient functioning of your immune system. All of these are crucial for your health and well being.

The Standard American Diet (abbreviated SAD) is extremely acid-forming: far too high in acid producing animal products (cooked meat, eggs, dairy, and refined white flour, sugar & salt), and far too low in alkaline producing foods (fresh fruits & vegetables). . . .

I was told, years ago by a naturopath, that the Canada Food Guide (our equivalent of the SAD) was created by seeking advice from various food marketing boards. Thus, milk was considered an essential part of a daily diet because the dairy board said so. Lots of research has been done since then...much of it sponsored by the same marketing boards. So you'll find reams of information telling you to drink milk every day...all sponsored by the people who sell milk.

Look at the ads used to sell milk: they all mention that milk is a good source of calcium yet from what I've found the form of calcium in cow's milk is not digestible by humans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join