It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO of massive car pile up on hill in Colorado Springs CO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Thursday December 30th 2010

Footage of a massive car pile up in Colorado Springs CO as the state was blanketed in snow and ice. It looks like 20 or more cars were involved in the pileup. The video shows one vehicle after another sliding down the hill and smashing into other parked and oncoming vehicles. No matter how slow these occupants drove, no matter if they had 4 WD, mother nature laid the smack down in this town. I can imagine trying to claim this to the insurance companies.

Liveleak

Contains some verbal profanity
edit on 1-1-2011 by Moose318 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Could it be possible that chemicals from chem-trail spraying could change the viscosity on snow?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Odd really. Doesn't any one know how to drive in heavy snow ? I do. I've had to, out of necessity. If it's that bad slow down to 15 or 10, if I get into trouble, like if I start sliding, I take my foot off the gas, the car usually recovers.
If it doesn't I put the transmission in neutral and gently pump my brakes, that always stops me. I don't know of an easy way to drive on an ice covered road. My own experience I just slow down to about 5 miles an hour on an icy road. Nothing much really helps. I have a four wheel drive truck. I used to have a car with traction control. We have snow here 5 months out of the year. Really the best way to avoid this sort of thing is just stay home. Better safe than sorry, that's what I always say.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
haha that was great! I don't understand it either, you think after the first 5 cars or so theyd stop people at the top of the hill.

"oh my god. are you alright? that # sucks. this sucks dude. look at you car. is this your car?

YEAH!

LOOK AT YOUR CAR!"

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I remember when I lived in Colorado Springs, I had an International Scout II with 4 wd and my 4 wd low gear was AWESOME. I remember one night when a storm was raging and people were off the road everywhere turned over with their lights on, me and my brother drove about 35 miles to one of the mountain reservoirs to go ice fishing. We never went over ten mph and kept having to stop and check overturned vehicles that slid off the road to make sure no one was trapped in them. We pretty much had the lake to ourselves and had a great time.

Colorado is a wonderful place to live and Colorado Springs in particular is a great town, but I would not live there without a 4wd SUV type vehicle. Too bad so many people got wacked in that storm. That is nothing to gloat over for sure.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I grew up in Colorado and the state can produce some very slippery ice moments.
one year when I was in 8th grade, we got off the bus to walk into the school, and the ice was so perfectly laid out that we could not walk. at all!

there was maybe a 8 degree incline on the sidewalk and it was enough to just stop you and make you slide backwards. it was hilarious. not 1 person was able to walk up to the school for about 30 mins till the janitor brought salt.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
That was one amazing video. It goes to show that most people just don't learn and think they can do something even tho everyone else has failed. Huge vehicles and huge egos and small brains all go together to create havoc.

I wonder if the insurance companies had access to this man's video? If so, there would be more than a few idiots with their policies cancelled, and rightly so.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I live in Denver and the same thing was happening here that day on normal residential streets. I've never seen it so bad with so little snow. It was pretty dam cold though.

I wish I had the video camera up. I witnessed 5 similar bang ups right outside my window. Even the freaking sand truck spun out!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

Lol I'm here in Colorado.... friend showed me that last night! People need to learn how to drive in this stuff, really not that bad where im at

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton

there was maybe a 8 degree incline on the sidewalk and it was enough to just stop you and make you slide backwards. it was hilarious. not 1 person was able to walk up to the school for about 30 mins till the janitor brought salt.

I'm glad I kind of got an explanation. That was just strange but it looks like there was a pt on the hill at which no one could really cross.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This video is hilarious! Thanks OP. Makes me feel fortunate I live in a flatland area.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I've been in those situations a few times in my life back East Where I lived for 17 years.

Now either there was a previous ice storm preceding the following snow storm where the street was covered with slick ice covered by a heavy snow fall OR one of my major pet peeves
is where cities like to scrap the top layer of snow off the road smashing down the remainder making it very slick without using salt after and then another snow storm follows.

If you watch it again when the cars slide you'll see the tires scrape off the snow revealing the darker street below. If it was bare asphalt the tires would have gripped but they were most likely ice covered UNDER what appears to be a fresh snow fall.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin

Originally posted by zooplancton

I'm glad I kind of got an explanation. That was just strange but it looks like there was a pt on the hill at which no one could really cross.

yes, the looping driveway was lower than the school, so it was a small incline to the building. I've never seen anything like it even till now. that was around 1979
edit on 1/1/2011 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Im in Colorado and while the ski areas have been continually hit with tons of snow....lower elevations have had warm weather for many many days.....

Im outside of Denver - and the Denver area just recently got hit with a bunch of snow and extreme temps (around 0). Piles ups happening all over Colorado this week!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The insurance companies are going to have a

field day with this one.

I hope everyone had insurance.

I would of just NOT have driven down that hill with 20+ cars already wrecked...

I'm glad no one got hurt.

It was a bit hilarious they were just playing bumper cars!!

edit on 1-1-2011 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Now either there was a previous ice storm preceding the following snow storm where the street was covered with slick ice covered by a heavy snow fall OR one of my major pet peeves
is where cities like to scrap the top layer of snow off the road smashing down the remainder making it very slick without using salt after and then another snow storm follows.

If you watch it again when the cars slide you'll see the tires scrape off the snow revealing the darker street below. If it was bare asphalt the tires would have gripped but they were most likely ice covered UNDER what appears to be a fresh snow fall.

I think you're absolutely correct about the road conditions.
There was probably a snow, then a little melt. Then a freeze resulting in black ice. then another new snow on top.
Sometimes you can get lucky if you lift off the brakes and let your wheels start turning again. you may get a little control, maybe.
I had to rescue my wife from some similar conditions a couple of years ago. Steep hill with black ice, and new snow on top. We made it to a restaurant parking lot, so we had dinner there, and watched through the window. Slider after slider. Big business for the body shops that week.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
An interesting video ...

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join