It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida about to have "no refusal" checkpoints

page: 26
<< 23  24  25   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDastardly12

No one is taking away your rights. You still get to drive and if you are not drunk they'll wave you on... it's 2 minutes out of your day...

We all have a limited amount of minutes in our lives. The idea that the state can at any time arbitrarily decide to detain free unsuspected citizens for any amount of time and force them to go through a battery of tests with the threat of physical violence by not complying - is simply ludicrous.

I'm certain the state could also search your home in a few minutes while you wait, so are you willing to let them show up with a surprise goon squad on a regular basis to do a five minute house search while you and the kids are getting ready to go out for the day? Just to keep the neighborhood and country safe, of course.

I'm not willing to give up my time or privacy without a fight. I should not have to prove myself innocent on a daily, hourly or weekly basis in order to travel freely within my own neighborhood, country or state.

I was born in a country that you were considered innocent until proven guilty.

My time is my own and my business is my own. Until I'm a suspect of breaking a rule, ordinance, or law of some sort my privacy (time, business & personal space) should be respected. That's the whole point of the Fourth Amendment, it demands or reminds the state respect that privacy by not crossing that barrier by following due process.

Florida is ignoring due process by proceeding as if all are guilty (detention for processing) until proven otherwise. That itself is against our laws and a breach of our civil rights.
edit on 4-1-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I can promise you that the same can be said of Texas. We have our own brand of "freeman" down here. Even some (the Republic of Texas) that want Texas to secede.

ETA: "secede" isn't really the word. We entered the Union by Treaty. This treaty can be dissolved with, in theory, no legal loopholes. Of course, we know how that would end up. But for all you other 49 states, just remember: Texas is here because we want to be, not because we have to be.
Most of us still observe our soveriegnty.
edit on 4-1-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I'm certain the state could also search your home in a few minutes while you wait, so are you willing to let them show up with a surprise goon squad on a regular basis to do a five minute house search while you and the kids are getting ready to go out for the day? Just to keep the neighborhood and country safe, of course.

GREAT EXAMPLE!

What is a few minutes of inconvenience while they randomly search your home every few months without cause? Think of all the pedophiles and child abusers and drug users and shoplifters they could find. Surely if they searched 300 homes every month, they would find 10 or 12 criminals. It is the same concept. Would you be concerned if it went that far?

How about what New York is randomly doing now? Demanding everyone carry ID on their person, and randomly stopping pedestrians to check their identification. Surely you feel much safer on Times Square with that new rule.

So, they can search a pedestrian, a car, possibly even a home, without much cause if any, they can now search our cell phones without warrants, they can use the Patriot Act to tap our phone lines or emails, they can use "sealed warrants" to launch a paramilitary style attack in the dead of the night without warning, and they do it in the name of making us all safer? And the "majority," as one poster put it, is fine with all of this?

Is it 1984 yet?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I don't know, but I think maybe they feel like they will find more than 10 or 12 criminals out of 300 homes searched. I mean, think about it. Practically everything is illegal now it seems. If they bring in an IRS agent, Child protective services, the FDA, the Tax Appraisal District, the BATFE, a home inspector working for the FHA or the mortgage company, along WITH the cop (with a breathalyzer) they can increase that number from 10 or 12 to about 200 or so.
In fact, that is pretty much what they are banking on, but not on coming into your house. You HAVE to leave the house sometime.
But, yes, this is just another infringement and it's just going to get worse until people start unloading on them.
Big time.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

You are correct! And that is even scarier!!

With some of the things I am sure to have said on ATS, and my amount of guns and ammo, and my biker vest and Gadsden Flags, and my affiliation with Freemasons, and the fact that I attend a Christian Church, and who knows what outrageous things I might have Google searched for, I'm sure that 100 of the perfectly legal things I do could be combined and turn me into Bin Laden's granddaddy!

Despite the fact that I am a husband, father, and public servant, it would be easy to paint me in the Press as the most evil thing to ever walk the streets. On top of that, most people only read the headlines anyway, so regardless of the circumstance, I am whatever the headline and the 10 second lead-in for the cable news says I am.

Very, very scary!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The part about this country assuming your "innocent until proven guilty"...has turned around within itself to mean...we'll arrest you, treat you as guilty, you may or may not bail-out on bond...until trial..and you prove you are NOT guilty.

Treated as GUILTY until we can prove we are not.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

GOOD!!! Now if only they did drug tests too!!! I now feel a little safer driving my children around this holiday season, or even letting my 15 year old get some behind the wheel experience. She is fifteen and has a permit, but In Florida I am freaking terrified to let her drive as there are for one so many drug abusers driving down here, I'd venture to guess that 80% of the population does crack or meth or weed here, and I'm probably not far off, about 85-90% are habitual drunks too, the rest are illegals that don't know how to drive or geriatrics with no eyesight. Yeah Florida is DAMN scary for a mother of new drivers!

They should be doing this year round!!!!

It's ironic that your signature says to live and let live.

Maybe you should think that when it comes to this. What if someone weren't drunk but pissed off that they had to waste their time at this stop and refused to do a breathalyzer?Now, their blood can be drawn against their will. If you give the police an inch they'll take a mile.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
Interestingly enough, the idiot woman from MADD who came up with this idea is also an employee of the local sheriffs office.

I feel safer just reading this article. This will completely stop people from drinking and driving. The danger of wrecking a car and being killed due to intoxication is not enough to prevent people from drinking and driving. A mandatory blood test, citation, and fine is what is needed. If the threat of death won't do it then the threat of fine and jail time will.

A better deterrent would be the truth. A personnel breathalyzer costs anywhere from 80$ up. How about the states send out vouchers or work to get the cost down to 10-20$. That way people will be able to test themselves instead of relying on "how do I feel" type self examinations.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Yes they do. At most all Police Departments, there are licensed or contracted Medical Techs, Assistants etc certified to draw blood. They can also take you across the street to the local hospital or med center.

What we are talking about here is the ability of the authorities to utilize and bend every law and regulation in their favor.

Here is an exercise you can try yourself. Look at a particular law or rule. Try and find out how it can be broken, and you get the idea. They too know how laws can be picked apart...LEGALLY...so that they come out ahead and in their favor.

We've been discussing this for awhile now here. The rights we have are been designed and enforced in such a way as to go both ways. No matter what you think..
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

<< 23  24  25   >>

join