It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a new mattress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new mattress and planning on spending between $1100 and $1600 for it. I'm weary of the "review" sites about mattresses with all of the extreme claims about the mattresses. It's like both sides are getting paid to put in good or bad reviews.... so I thought I'd ask here for some recommendations. Has anyone had a mattress for THREE or more years and have not had many if no problems with it? If so, let me know so I can make a better decision about it. Thanks

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Don't pay so much unless u are a large person.

You can pick up a cofortable one for about 500$

I just bought one for 350$. Sleep great.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Buying a new matress is like buying a new wife-- be sure theres plenty of bounce

I had to pick out a new comforter set with my roommate and I'll tell ya it was a hell of a time with him. He wanted argyle I wanted plaid (we settled on a purple and green plaid one-- HE GOT TO PICK THE COLOR

So if you got a bud or a girl that you be sharing this matress with make sure you talk it out first real good or somebuddy is gonna get their feelings hurt.

Ronnie

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I got a memory foam mattress about a year ago and I think it's great!

They take a bit of getting used to though so you should try one out before hand, the best bit about them is that if you sleep with a partner their movement doesn't bounce the whole bed around and wake you up.

There probably not great for a hot climate though as they are pretty warm

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I love mattresses, but remember it really takes about a month to get used to a new one. I have a Jamison, that has something in the middle that prevents sagging, and it's all pillow-top-plush, but still firm. I love it. It's about six years old; and still great.

ETA: Try to find one on Sale. Oh, and mattresses are one of those things you can usually negotiate the price, like cars. Just make an offer on the one you want, about 15% down from the ticket price, and see what they will do.
edit on 12/24/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I just went and looked at my mattress - it is a Simmons "Maxipedic". Just a regular style - not the kind with the pillow top.

I don't know what it costs - my friend's Gramma gave it to me. I don't think it was cheap though.

I am happy with it - my old mattress was so bad that it was nearly like a hammock! No kidding. I think that's why my friend's Gram gave it to me - they were worried I was going to get scoliosis or something from sleeping on the old beat up hammock

I also like it because it is "regular" and you can flip it over. The ones with the pillow tops - you can't flip them.

Side note - I'd vote against the "foam" style mattresses. Yes I have heard that they are hot too. But what really creeps me out about these things is the "indents" made. I see that, on TV ads etc, and all I can think of is that scene in "Psycho" where the mother's body has indented the mattress. ** Shudders **

Good luck with it - I know they are a huge confusing pain to shop for.

PS - what about looking up mattresses in "Consumer Reports"? Might be less biased than "review" sites.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

I bought a Serta mattress and box springs nearly 20 years ago, and I am still today sleeping on it. It is getting on in years, and I will be replacing it soon, with a new Serta. I have a very bad back, and this is the only mattress I can sleep on.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Any more info on yer baby aliens?

Private message me about it, bud

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
holy cow, next time I buy a mattress it's going to be a waterbed mattress. the mattress I have came with the bed I bought which was expensive too. I'm definitely going to turn my bed into a waterbed.

there's a whole bunch of other # I want and am tempted to buy and one of the things is like 5 hundred bucks. if I get that I have to wait to get the other things one of which is a wii and another is a trampoline and another is a hammock and another is expensive cream, which I don't mind waiting for that # but i feel so incredibly guilty but it's like i want things all of the sudden. Is this christmas doing this to me? I should have none that if I started having money to spend, I'd be spending it.... but damn I want those things really bad. oh yeah, and a countertop dishwasher...see? Arrrggh!...it's like a list I have been saving up for years and now that I have a little bit of spare cash I could get all those things in approximately a couple months (although some of this # can wait till spring) and the most expensive thing I don't have to pay for all at once but it's the most vain item. Part of me really really really really wants to start trying to buy this list, like starting right now...like my finger is on the mouse button waiting to make a purchase and I don't EVER spend money like this lately and this is soooo selfish, because it's all for me. No one else..well actually, people could benefit from some of the things I intend to buy but it seems like all my greed fueling this and I'm sure it's not the most responsible use of money.... but I need stuff. I need "things"

whew... that was unloading some guilt there. I guess it's my decision to make. I don't even know why I'm #ing around because I'm going to spend the money anyway...dammit! I was supposed to save a bunch of money and but something even more expensive...like land or a car. Jeepers!

Ok... I think I'm ready to make myself feel insanely guilty. GOD I hate this feeling! I have a feeling that a lot of people have felt this way over the holiday season with all the stuff they have bought their families. I told everyone not to get me anything although i know some of them will anyway. I didn't have time to go shopping because the person's vehicle I use was doing shopping and is always busy during the holiday with their own stuff. I know of one thing I'm getting that multiple people can use but I am going to get it next week after the holidays die down... no one expects it or in a rush for it.

I shouldn't put this off anymore. If I don't order it I will never have it but it just seems like a christmas present to myself and that just seems wrong on all sorts of levels.

...anyway, sorry to ramble but this thread was about buying something expensive and I am just beside myself about spending this much money on something. I imagine the OP would feel the same about spending that much money on a mattress. That would kill me to spend that much on a mattress. I'm switching to simple plain, easily replaceable waterbed mattress. That reminds me, I have to buy some lumber. This will give me something to do for sure!

OOOO...I can buy a real saw now!

omg this is never going to end. I need a serious distraction. I feel myself being very indulgent about things. I've been eating lot's of chocolate too, practically indiscriminately eating chocolate. It's been a long time since i have allowed myself to spend any real money... it's always bills bills bills...food if your lucky.

Dammit, I can't help it. There is stuff that I want right now and I have the money to buy it. Grrr! All I know is if I buy expensive cream I better get a boyfriend after all this trouble.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
...i'm anti traditional mattress because they're nasty - yep, they are...

...your skin sheds constantly... thats why you only use a bath towel once, then wash it before using again... otherwise you're wasting your shower by drying off with a nasty towel...

...in 3yrs your mattress will weigh a lot more than it did when it was new cuz its loaded with dead skin - and - theres little teeny tiny critters that live in your mattress feeding off of your dead skin morsels... delightful, huh?...

...air mattresses are the way to go... they come in all size and prices - super cheap compared to traditional mattresses... i've had a bad hip for decades and it was really making me feel ANCIENT, until my sister told me to get an air mattress... she started using em because she has bad back and her doctor told her to use an air mattress... problem solved...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
air mattress... another option to consider. I kinda like the sloshing a waterbed makes though. I'll have to see what I can get for the cheapest price...but ya!... mattresses are not fun to think about.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by inchworm
reply to post by autowrench

Any more info on yer baby aliens?

Private message me about it, bud

Check your U2s.
Second line

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Check your U2s.