It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printing Ultra-Thin Circuits Into Banknotes Could Give Electronic Security to Paper Currency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Printing Ultra-Thin Circuits Into Banknotes Could Give Electronic Security to Paper Currency

blac klistednews.com

Testing on U.S. dollars, Swiss francs, Japanese yen and Euros, the researchers essentially printed aluminum oxide, gold, and organic molecules right onto the notes to create layers of thin-film transistors (TFTs) right on the currency. Those TFT arrays need next to no power to operate – just 3 volts, which could be supplied from a wireless source. The team managed to get 100 organic, ultrathin TFTs onto each note, enough to perform simple computing tasks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.popsci.co m

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
We all know the newer currency notes have some about of higher tech anti counterfeit gadgets on them. This method does however take bank notes to a new level. This will be actually turning the bank not into an integrated circuit. So the bank note in your pocket will have the ability to do computations. Individually they would only be able to do simple computations, but think what could happen if you had a stack of them all together. You might be computing tradgetery for NASA just walking down the street.

blac klistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone, especially government owned mints would even bother spending money R&Ding new anti-counterfeit measures. Only 5% of money in circulation is actually physical, the rest is accounted. I don't think counterfeiting money at this point could really do any real dilution damage to the economy. You'd have to print billions to have even the slightest effect.

It's time for a completely electronic binary economy either without usury, or with 100% recycled usury.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

Delta
I do agree with last statement you made. I do think a cashless society is coming. However, until then I do think damage can be done to governments and societies. The potential for spreading illness being one.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Spreading illness with physical notes?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Its a great idea. But they have a hard time with the currency as it is. They recetnly had to destroy a bunch that would not go through the presses properly, getting creased and wrinkled. Adding additional elements could be problematic.

But the use of various nanos might not only provide the solution needed, but also be a good replacement for the current, expensive, and overly complicated process.

Yay carbon!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Delta
yes, money is really one of the most germ ridden things there is that people carry with them. Money goes every where and does every thing, and is passed from person to person. That makes it an efishent way to spread disease that requires contact.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

If someone was going to do that, it would've already happened.

Just think of the logistics of the operation: First, the operator(s) would have to collect the bills. They could get their own bills out of regular circulations, but that would be a little costly, since they would then have to give that money away. Next, they would have to taint the bills with some contagion that could survive for long periods of time on the surface of a bill. The operators themselves would naturally have to come into contact with the contagion by tainting the vector. And then lastly, they would come into contact with the contagion by disseminating the vector. The operator(s) would not be able to avoid becoming sick themselves.

This is not efishent.
edit on 23-12-2010 by DeltaChaos because: mis-mis-spelled efficient

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Delta, actually it does happen ever day. It just may not be the deadly military grade pathagen.

Some infections can spread by contact transmission in at least some cases, including: Abscesses Anthrax (cutaneous) Athlete’s foot Cold sores Conjunctivitis (“pink eye”) Coxsackievirus (hand-foot-mouth disease) Croup Diarrhea (infectious) Diphtheria (cutaneous) Ebola Impetigo Lice Ringworm RSV Scabies Read more: www.drgreene.com...
source

any hard surfaces, including coins, can have viable viruses on them for up to two hours, or slightly more, depending on the humidity and other factors (such as the presence of other materials on the coins like mucous, etc.) Read more: wiki.answers.com...

ask

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Delta, actually it does happen ever day. It just may not be the deadly military grade pathagen.

I don't dispute that pathogens are carried on money, that's absolutely true. But what I'm saying is that if someone wanted to plant some really big bad bug on money, they would have to eat that big bad bug themselves. How stupid or crazy would one have to be to carry out that suicide mission? You have to think on more than one level to solve a problem sometimes.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Delta
if some one were to put the big bad bug on money, and they do not have the cure already in there system, they might want to put them selves in a place where they have access to money. Perhaps working in a bank. There they might be able to put a pathogen on the money with out actually touching it. By way of brush or spray. However I also think if some one wanted to do this they would not care if they died, I mean there have been enough people cleansing the gene pool by blowing them selves up all time.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

A suicide bomber is a little bit different, I think. A suicide bomber is highly indoctrinated - to the point of brainwashed. They actually believe that they are going to get 72 virgins. Or whatever. Dying in an instant, feeling no pain takes some balls, but imagine being able to conceive your extremely painful, agonizing death taking days - even weeks to transpire? I understand there is crazy, but even crazy isn't that stupid. Suicide bombers, for the most part, live in interminable squalor and depression as well. They do what they do in the hopes that one day, someone can have more than them. They believe that they will be martyrs, and that martyrs are exalted before Allah. A terrorist cell based in America is having a damn good time with their lives until they receive that call, and when they do, they're hoping to live on after they've done their jobs.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Delta
I agree with you about the conditioning and all that you mentioned. I just also think that if the conditioning has happened that the money pathogen as discussed would still happen if that's the direction it was going.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think we are more likely to see this used on stamps, price tags, tickets, documents and checks.

10 years from now we will probably be paying for everything with an electronic wallet/smartphone.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Something this technology would make possible is tracking whom notes are issued to from banks & where they go from there. This would generate a vast amount of data that couldn't possibly be analysed, but...
If you spend any money into that part of the economy that only accepts cash, those bank notes could become the evidence in a police investigation, @which point, your name becomes of interest. In which case, sifting out data pertaining just to you is entirely feasable. Hmmm...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
An exercise in futility.. The counterfeiters will be slowed for maybe a week.. Already they do passports and I.D cards that have the chips and biometric info in them that are the same as those that are issued... Gotta love free enterprise neh

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Already covered here www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join