It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Anomaly - PIA08557

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/39f8d3b92827.jpg[/atsimg]

Source link:

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

When I find a Mars or Moon anomaly picture that really intrigues me, I've almost made it into a habit to pop over to the Department of Geology (at the university where I work) and show it to a friend.

I ask him what it is, and when he seems a bit perplexed and ask me what region the anomaly is from, I tell him something like "The Aristarchus plateau on the Moon" with a grin. Why make it easy for him?

So I came across this THEMIS picture (courtesy of JPL) that looks like... well, good question. I consulted my geologist friend again what kind of geological process could create this, his reaction was; "Is this one of your Mars pictures again?" I guess I've been over there a bit too often lately.

In any case, he had no clear answer, not being an extraterrestial geologist. Certain features in this anomaly does remind me of fossilized exoskeleton organisms present here on Earth. Not that I want to make that connection just yet, because why would any presumed fossilized Martian organism look anything like an Earth organism? Another problem is the size of this thing. A paleontological guess was of course excluded to my friend. "If you got it from the internet, my guess is it's fake" was his last word. The problem is, it comes straight from NASA's own server, so if it's fake we have another problem on our hands.

NASA generally have ready-to-go explanations for most Martian anomalies, but they seem a bit stumped by this one, even if they do refer to it as a "sand dune".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d3af8d1f49e.jpg[/atsimg]

A Trilobite fossil

Perhaps someone with in-depth knowledge of geology or asteroid impacts could help me out here. Could an impact create this type of skidmark, do similar examples exist here on Earth or on nearby planets and moons?

Analytical skills are more welcome than your out-of-the-box guesses, but please hit me with what you've got!

The second one is a fossilized stone. Where the supposed legs are the biggest, you can see little cuts and chips of the stone. Done for revealing the complete legs for display in museum or something

If not. Then that's a humongous fossilised animal on Mars, and then you can assume that the first picture is draco's old skin bin shed of or something
edit on 24-12-2010 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here be dragons!

It looks to me like a belly (and part of the tail) of a rather slender dragon, or what I like to call "The Abomination that causes Desolation".

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

strange..I get a lot of images like this one!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
As stated by others in previous posts, i think this is a glancing blow "Wound" caused by a large object.

If you look at the OP picture below..You can see 5-6 other small "Wounds" to the left of the large one.

This says to me, that other smaller objects were in the same orbit(More on why i say orbit later) or on the same path as the large object when they hit Mars.

This may even have been caused by the Mars moon Phobos. Phobos has the closest orbit of any moon at only around 5800 miles.

Phobos is thought to also contain a large resevoir of ICE. Phobos's density is too low to be solid rock, and it is known to have significant porosity. Phobos

Ok so lets put it all together and see what we get.

At some past point Phobos strikes a glancing blow accross the surface of Mars, in the heated process, Phobos leaves behind a significant amount of water. After who knows how long, the water is gone and what you have left behind is something like this..Only on a larger scale.

This may have happened many times before. Who knows?

Great thread.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomadmonkey
As stated by others in previous posts, i think this is a glancing blow "Wound" caused by a large object.
The "wound" is not dug into the ground, it's above ground.

Seeing that the light comes from the left (in the direction of the arrow in the image below), you can see that the lightened side is the left, meaning that it's not something like a "scratch" of the ground.

And in a full size, brightened, image you can see that they are dunes.
(click for full size)

This may even have been caused by the Mars moon Phobos. Phobos has the closest orbit of any moon at only around 5800 miles.
Not very likely (if this was some kind of "wound"), in the above image north is at the top of the image, and that means that Phobos was on an almost polar orbit when it made that "wound".

Also, the "wound" is 6 km wide and Phobos has a mean radius of 11 km, so, to leave a "wound" like that it would need to bury a large percentage of its body in the ground, and I don't think it could keep in orbit after that, it's too small to keep enough energy to go back to orbit after such a hit.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
as i havent a clue what the scale is, id guess its 10's/100's of mile's long.. looks like sand covering gelogy.
its cool how it looks like a fossil , but from seeing all the wierd stuff earths rocks can come up with, i dont think this is all that unusual.
would be cool if it really was a graboid though.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

What we see on that photo is something like 51 or 52 km long, but it's longer than that, the photo doesn't show the whole feature.

This is what it looks like.
(click for bigger image)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Ok,assuming that's real,AND connected. The creature has an extremely strong back,to hold up that tail. It's skeletal structure looks to support defensive razor sharp bones. The first picture,you are only seeing the tip of the ice berg, heavy submergence into the surface of that planet....if it ever manages to escape...what would stop it? A nuke down the throat? What kind of a hostile planet is that? if this thing needs these defenses? HOW FIN BIG IS THIS BITTY! HE NEEDS THAT TAIL FOR BALANCING WHAT SIZE BODY? The tiny trex tail balances that massive body....but this creature,it isnt just for balance,its combat ready. Trex tail wasnt this combat ready....ride a trex to battle this thing? it would wimper. NExt, scales, it could take every round of ammo on earth. and it would only be wearing a man made breast plate. Scales from pic NO.1 they have a defensive flaw, a very sharp object could fit between the crevices. Ask it for a ride on its back! and stab it?

Send more pics,its what i live for.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
That's why we have to find perfect "moon bombing bombs" Kill this son of a bitch before his 1000 years is up. Or is that how he escapes? I guess the god made trap is flawless. It would be man testing god if you tried to kill what is dead.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Looks kinda like charcoal left over in the campfire.

Could it be a dried muddy feature?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by omnis

nice

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
well,i say it's safe to tell north korea and south korea to settle the differences before they waste all the ammo.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
This is old: www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If it is miles long it could be nothing less than a structure to blow the minds of the newbie earthlings coming on to their planet. If the martians live underground. It could have insulation properties that could make things or cool or heat plants or crops within it that they can't make deep underground in their cities. If their decedents help build the monoliths on earth they could very well be something both visually mind blowing and useful,

I am surprised i've never seen this incredible image cause i've seen tons. Just don't know how that one escaped me. What a GREAT and important post that the front page of every newspaper should have it on.

To many great things on mars to be just natural. Nasa selected linguists have got to be in communication with them somehow. Too many prized images on mars to be just natural. Way too many!
It almost reminds me of a person getting hit by a care and people just pass by and don't really seem to care.
Just amazes me how people can think this stuff is just natural. Wake up!!!!

<< 1  2   >>

join