It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NET NEUTRALITY: A look at your ISP in months to come...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
HERE IS WHY you should care. Get ready for this:

You will have to pay extra, just like TV, to get what you want.

You want HBO and Sports on TV? Cable companies have been charging you per package.
You want YouTube and CNN on your internet? You will have to pay extra for those websites.

edit on 21-12-2010 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Wasn't this already approved? Censorship, thy name is corporatism.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Wasn't this already approved? Censorship, thy name is corporatism.

Yes it was, but nothing has been "implemented" yet...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
yep that's exactly what is about to happen. I posted a thread on this, this morning. Behold you will get nickeled and dimed for everywhere you go on the net basically.

Good example op..

+33 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This will backfire. Millions of net users, like me, will simply walk away if these type of money grubbing tactics come into play. Big Business already makes me sick, I will be damned if they get a single extra penny out of me for using the web.

We will see an upsurge in magazines and book sales, once they start rolling on the greed.

I am considering dropping my cell phone afte rmy contrac tis up, too. I am over paying for others to get fat off my dollar, while the consumer gets less and less for that money.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well This is a start. Now that they have taken that first inch they will not stop.

It's time to remind the FCC who they are suposed to work for.

lets tell them what we think!

Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street SW
Washington, DC 20554

Phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322)
TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)
Fax: 1-866-418-0232
E-mail: [email protected]

Call, email, and write your dis-pleasure with their decision.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't think it will be packaged that way. I don't think you will be restricted from certain sites. I think they will be using the old cell phone tactics. What they will do is offer packages and in very fine print, say any website visited not in your package will be 5 cents per visit or something like that. That way when your kids get online, they can run up your bill and there isn't squat you can do about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

that makes me sick. If you photoshopped that you did a really good job doing so. I am pretty disgusted right now because that is what a catalogue ad or w/e you call it would look like.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mudman21
I don't think it will be packaged that way. I don't think you will be restricted from certain sites.

It's possible. I figure you will get unlimited access to the sites listed, and like you said, then charge .05 cents per page on other sites outside of what you paid for.

Originally posted by fordrew
that makes me sick. If you photoshopped that you did a really good job doing so.

No, I did not

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I see it came from appleinsider! If this thing eventually happens you can guarantee I will be leaving my cable company if it does apply to my cable company. Hell I will start my own cable company! I know for a fact I am going to have lots of customers if I don't restrict the internets!!!!!!!

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I saw your visual on cnn today. I'm still unsure how this affects us in Canada. They keep talking about tiered service, yet they already do that to us up here. Unless they add on a price per page

Are the wired services really still all at just one price? That would have been nice, I think they penalize us for living rural.

I'm in an area where there is no wired service (farms, acreages around, between forests), and I pay $75 for unlimited satellite service. Basic package is around $30, I think its around 100 hours, and mid service is around $56, which is about 200 or 300 hours only.

Thankfully, I still have just over 2 years on my contract, they cannot charge me higher prices, yet. It's already expensive enough.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I really don't know what else to say anymore, if it's not obvious by now then I don't think people will ever wake up. I guess we get the kind of leadership we deserve, garbage in ---- garbage out. Time to blow the dust of the old c.b. radio and disconnect seeing as we seem to slowly be regressing to the 1970's. Might as well go all out. We can bring back the traveling encyclopedia salespeople, re join AAA for discounts on paper maps etc.....

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

+18 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
We're Anonymous,we're legion

We never forgive,we never forget, expect us.

The net will stay an area for freedom.

We're in the fight.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
That;s one thing I was wondering...

People will be hacking wifi and using proxies like a *snip*

Hack into your wifi and have YOU charged for everypage I visit...
Or use a proxy website and have THAT site search for YOU.

They better be prepared for a fight...
WE are the people, WE are the internet... so if WE don't want it to change then WHY is it changing??????

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 22-12-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
We might as well face facts. One way or another we are going to lose the Internet we have grown to love. What will replace it will be little more than useless for most people. I see a increase in stamps sells as people go back to mailing in there bills payment and stop using on line bill pay. I see untold billions is lost sells as buy on line becomes a thing of the past. The world of information will be set back to the middle 1970's before there was an Internet. Computer sells will drop though the floor as computers become nothing more that fancy type writers and calculators. The net will go on but only the very rich will be able to use it much. This is not going to end well at all. I seen the Internet come in to being and now I am watching it die. What will be left will not be worth the name of Internet. We will have to invent a new word for it. It was fun while it lasted.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
We need to set up a Internet Users Union to stop this.(Internet Users Union is a play on the ACLU)

The public now has no one to represent them and big business is paying off the FCC to get what they want.

The public pays the Salary of the people working for the FCC and should have the Biggest say in how the Internet is run.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Wow, how is your thread not getting more attention than this? I mean you know that a version of what ypu have posted if not that exactly will occur and this literally affects every single person on this site and more but nobody gives a poop!

Well I for one am with the folks that are saying they'll cancel their net and never look back. To hell with it if that is what becomes of our last bastion of free speech. S&F.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join