It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US threatened 'retaliation' to bully EU into accepting biotech crops, cable shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

US threatened 'retaliation' to bully EU into accepting biotech crops, cable shows

www.rawstory.com

Reacting to a French pledge to represent the "common interest" in considering biotech foods, a former US ambassador recommended publishing a "retaliation list" of European locations where genetically modified organisms (GMOs) were being grown in hopes that activists would destroy them and "cause some pain" for officials, a leaked diplomatic cable shows.

In a confidential communication dated Dec. 14, 2007 and released by WikiLeaks on Sunday, then-US Ambassador to France Craig Roberts Stapleto
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The document would appear to expose a high-ranking US official advocating a selective leak of otherwise confidential information to achieve a European political objective on behalf of US private industry.

The law that was considered in France would have made farmers and biotech firms liable for pollen drift of their modified crops -- a move that "could make any biotech planting impossible in practical terms," the Stapleton wrote.

So the United States government was going to attack the European governments, France in particular, for not allowing biotech foods which are not confirmed safe for human consumption. The US government was working extensively on behalf of American corporations which want Europe to adopt their form of agriculture led by Monsanto Corporation.

Also in the documents it was stated that the government of Spain and the Pope at the Vatican were both in support of the Biotech foods, even if it was against popular public opinion.

Does this really come as a surprise to anyone? Our government bullying other governments into supporting our corrupt and dangerous corporations, I personally do not like GMO’s or any foods that have been touched by Monsanto. Unfortunately they do not put that on labels of food.

It is probably best in the communities begin to take back their food supply away from these national and multinational corporations and place it back in the hands of the local farmers. People should begin to grow their own food at home, as much as possible, try hunting for your own food as well. Take yourself off the system as much as possible.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

This strikes me as one of the most damaging cables to come out of this mess yet. The reason? There is no clear, reasonable or sane National Interest represented here. There is no possible reason why the U.S. Government should even remotely care about the agricultural practices of a major world power. The fact that Government officials were willing to take this sort of covert actions against a stable ally in the name of corporate greed is more telling and revealing than a thousand hours of war crimes footage.

Every other governmental hand-out to corporate overlords can be hidden under some form of National Interest. Not so here.

Star and Flag.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Monsanto has been coping a lot of flack for a while. Personally I see self regulated GMO as a recipe for disaster and already causing problems with hybrid cross breading into super weeds and other dietary issues with pesticide interactions. Genetics is complex with a lot of issues and needs a lot of support if it is to work through all of them responsibility and be in it for the long haul. With profits a big driver the likely hood of a similar case to that of Asbestos is very reasonable. With Asbestos it was not until it was conclusively proved by outside sources that production stopped, while inside the company they knew at least 10 - 15 years earlier that it was dangerous. This conflict between profit and life needs some serious addressing before it is to late.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Damning. This should be investigated and prosecuted to the extreme.
Also just today someone posted on another thread that WL "hasn't released anything significant".

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
How totally and hypocritically ironic!

The government that claims the whole Wikileaks saga is dangerous to national security BECAUSE it may leak sensitive information that MAY insight violence... IS threatening to leak sensitive information TO DIRECTLY insight violence.

I think the definition of "national security" has long been altered to ignore the nation and focus and the corporate and private interests of political donors and lobbyists... so I guess this should come as no surprise.

the Billmeister
edit on 21-12-2010 by Billmeister because: grammer

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yet another cable that shows how our diplomats act like paid shills for US private industries trying to exert more influence over other nations!

This is really despicable, I hope France makes appropriate reactions to this disclosure.

And is this more proof that Monsanto should be thrown off a cliff? Could they possibly act in a way less in the interest of the Human race?

To the poster above, couldn't agree more - it's fine if the government "illegally" releases classified material to get it's way, but don't you dare release classified material exposing it's corruption. Hay, Cheney outed CIA Agent Plame, but then the government whines about Pakistan outing it's top spy over there. What goes around comes around!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

That is definitely something to think about...

As you said it is most definitely not in our national security interests, so we could never use that line against the European nation states, so what will be our reasoning for this? What lie could the US possibly tell the Europeans that would make them at least somewhat believe the US?

This could definitely turn into a huge problem between our country and the EU, especially since an overwhelming number of Europeans are actually actively against biotech crops.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister
How totally and hypocritically ironic!

The government that claims the whole Wikileaks saga is dangerous to national security BECAUSE it may leak sensitive information that MAY insight violence... IS threatening to leak sensitive information TO DIRECTLY insight violence.

I think the definition of "national security" has long been altered to ignore the nation and focus and the corporate and private interests of political donors and lobbyists... so I guess this should come as no surprise.

the Billmeister
edit on 21-12-2010 by Billmeister because: grammer
Starred! Took the words out of my mouth. I wonder what Condi will have to say about this? Probably nothing... er... egg... face... Anyone? How about "BUSTED!"?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. Morally bankrupt. Basically the US government tries to blackmail the french on behalf of Monsanto. Their method of threat? A LEAKED list of GM sites to deliberately incite a backlash.

I'm sorry, my irony circuits have overloaded.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Absolutely disgusting. Morally bankrupt. Basically the US government tries to blackmail the french on behalf of Monsanto. Their method of threat? A LEAKED list of GM sites to deliberately incite a backlash.

I'm sorry, my irony circuits have overloaded.

You summed it up quite nicely.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Some of these US ambassadors really suck b**ls! Ruin peoples crops for what, it's not even your country!? Why do you get to sabotage there livelyhood, and produce. You ruin it they don't eat, they buy your crap and presto Monopoly begins... International Edition. Internatinal Tribunal for these pr**s!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It's telling that this hasn't made the MSM generally ... Nothing on any of the News channels... AFAIK

Second line

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is disgusting

Amongst everything, it's the attack on food that I hate the most!!!!

new topics

top topics

join