It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysteries of Nan Madol

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Nan Madol is a ruined city that lies off the eastern shore of the island of Pohnpei, in the Federated States of Micronesia, and was the capital of the Saudeleur dynasty until about AD 1500. The Megalithic city consists of a series of small artificial islands linked by a network of canals and is often called the "Venice of the Pacific". The name Nan Madol means "spaces between" and is a reference to the canals that crisscross the ruins.The original name was Soun Nan-leng (Reef of Heaven).

The Mysteries of Nan Madol
The technologies of ancient civilizations continue to baffle scientific explanation. Like the pyramids and other megalithic monuments, building Nan Madol required a tremendous effort and expertise so that the great number of stones, weighing anywhere from five to fifty tons, could be moved and raised to where they were needed. To erect walls 10 feet wide and up to 37 feet tall, 250 million pieces of rock(700 000 metric tons) had to be logged in from the quarry on the opposite side of the island. The locals say that the ancient builders used magic. A powerful magician living in the well inhabited region on the northwest of the island was solicited, With "sounds of varying pitch" he made basalt logs fly through the air like birds and settle down in their appointed places. The scientific theory about lugging the stones by water on bamboo rafts has does not hold water. While making a documentary movie about Nan Madol for the Discovery Channel in 1995, all attempts to transport panels weighing over a one ton failed.

This cornerstone Nandowas is believed to weigh up to 60 tons!.The peculiar location of the city raises another question. Why was it raised in the ocean waters and not on land? Each structure had to be built on a specially constructed artificial rectangle in the waters, edged by long basalt boulders and filled with coral granules. 92 such artificial islets cover the area. Why did the early constructors come up with this impractical idea,with the demanding labor of building artificial sea islands when there were so many natural coral reef islands there,when they could have simply cleared the shore of palm trees?

Food and water
Why would someone build a city on coral reefs that rises only five feet above water? Nan Madol had no food or water available on the island.One must go inland to gather water and grow food. For the Saudeleurs they were the supreme rulers the people had to bring them what they needed. When the Saudeleurs were overthrown and the period of the Nahnmwarkis began, the Nahnmwarkis lived at Nan Madol, but they had to gather their water and grow their food themselves, causing them to eventually abandon Nan Madol.What was the purpose of Nan Madol? This question has puzzled scientists for centuries.

The elite center was a special place of residence for the nobility and of mortuary activities presided over by priests.

The Lost Platinum Coffins of the Kings
Before WWII when the Japanese controlled the island.They reportedly hauled away platinum caskets from the House of the Dead under the sea. That's where the second, mirror part of the city stands. The divers smashed the coffins under water and brought up pieces of platinum. Suddenly the main export of the island to Japan, vanilla, copra, sago and mother of pearl was supplanted by platinum. One day the two members of the blasphemous mission to the House of the Dead vanished. Then WW II broke out. The platinum coffins were forgotten. Neither the caskets nor records of them survived the American nuclear attack on Hiroshima. Yet couldn't the ruins of Nan Madol hold still other bones of the early inhabitants?

The mortuary at Nandowas is where kings were laid in state before being buried on other islands.Others believe sacrifices where held here as well.

The Giants of Nan Madol
In the early twentieth century, when the island was under German rule, Governor Victor Berg entered the sealed tomb of Nan Mandol and opened the coffin of the ancient island rulers. He found skeletons of giants two to three meters tall. The next morning, on April 30, 1907, after a stormy night, Governor Berg died. The German physician serving on the island could not determine the cause of death. The natives, certain it was a curse,that prove supernatural powers guard the city of the dead.
Who were the giants who built Nan Mandol and mysteriously vanished?The Pohnpei people believe them to be the natives of the vanished continent of MU, sunk into the Pacific Ocean during a great calamity 12,000 years ago. Myths have evolved over time about the tenants of Nan Matol and three distinct races of giants: a human-like species, capable of flight; a simian race of giants who could fly and live under the sea; and a third strain of "mega-giants", best described as worker-drones who labored beneath the sea. In the early nineteen hundreds, researchers recorded a popular legend about the Kona, a cannibalistic race of giants.

Still there are others who believe Nan Madol was never inhabited, it has always been a giant machine! A machine that controlled the weather.
www.youtube.com...

Research continues today at Nan Madol .
REFERENCES:
historicmysteries.com...
en.mackerle.cz...
reference.findtarget.com...
www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

One of the things that pisses me off about ATS, is all the things I keep adding to my, "learn more about this awesome discovery list." Great post and awesome find.

--Charles Marcello

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by littlebunny

never heard of this and i have heard of a lot! Awesome discovery. I wonder if that is true about the giant skeletons? Also i wonder when this was built. Was it built in BC?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Radio carbon dating and archeological excavations puts Nan Madol to be as old as 200 B.C, but the distinctive megalithic architecture was probably not begun until perhaps the 12th or early 13th century.No written records on the island's history exist. Its myths and legends live through the oral tradition only.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Another unexplained feature of Nan Madol is its underwater tunnels which connect the islands with one another. The tunnels were supposed to be an escape route starting from the center of the city towards the ocean. The tunnels were obviously man-made because of the way they were manipulated to connect the islands, the question of how they were made is still left unanswered. To this day, undersea explorers are still trying to discover a complete end-to-end tunnel.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
That's pretty recent, considering. It really surprises me that they may have been built that close to our own time. Usualy, things like this are thousands of years old. Neat.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
More on the Giants

RUSSIAN EXPEDITION OF DIVERS LEAD BY ANDREI MAKAREVICH EXPLORED THE LOST UNDERWATER CITY OF NAN MADOL. THE CONCLUSION OF RUSSIAN TEAM: THE LOST UNDERWATER CITY OF NAN-MADOL WAS BUILT IN ANTEDILUVIAN TIME (~12000 BC) BY GIANTS WHO CAME FROM THE NORTH. TWO 6+ METERS HIGH POLES OF THE CITY GATE WAS FOUND UNDERWATER IN NAN-MADOL. NOTE: in 1978 archeologists WILLIAM S. AYRES, ALAN E. HAUN & CRAIG SEVERANCE have uncovered human bones that belonged to people considerably larger than the Micronesians who live there today. AMERICAN TEAM MEASURED SKELETONS & THEIR BONES, CREATED PONARE ARCHEOLOGICAL SURVEY RESEARCH OF THE SITE, PUT BONES BACK INTO THE NAN MADOL GRAVE AND KEPT THE SILENCE SINCE!!! HISTORY OF THE SITE: A short distance off the coast of the remote Micronesian island of Pohnpei lays one of the greatest archeological mysteries in the world, the Lost City of Nan Madol. Built on an ancient coral reef and covering more than 11 square miles, this ancient city is made up of hundreds of artificial islets, intersected by numerous manmade canals. Even more curious, many of the citys larger islands are connected by submerged tunnels. First discovered in the early 1800s by European sailors, this baffling and immense megalithic stone city may contain evidence for the fabled lost continent of MU (LEMURIA). The mysterious Nan Madol is built entirely out of gigantic MAGNETIZED BASALT CRYSTALS (pay attension !!!), some weighting as much as fifty tons. In fact, the entire city contains ...

Source:wn.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Great infos!
S&F.

This archeological site is a real mistery.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I do have some ideas why the Saudeleurs wanted to build the structure on the shallow reef and not land.
Even though experiments transported the basalt logs via rafts in 90's failed.I believe it was possible for the constructors to build massive barges.There is evidence of this off shore were there are submerged columns still at the bottom of the ocean seemingly lost during transportation.
This way they could have loaded the basalt logs from quarry,transported from the other side of the island and anchored their barges off shore and built the structure from shore out to sea.
It would have been easier than dragging them over land.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

S & F

Nan Madol has always fascinated me ever since I was a child and first read about in an old library book which I've forgotten the title and in it was only a passing reference.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for posting

I have been researching Nan Madol for some time now,it has been very interesting.I have been fascinated by Nan Madol ever since I saw the story on'' In Search of ''.From the late 70's early 80's TV show narrated by Leonard Nimoy.Remeber- "This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine".
God I'm old

Anyway' This place is very strange indeed there are so many questions,like the absence of wall art or any of the other artifacts associated with ancient ruins.There is just nothing but this impressive structure.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Sounds very similar to this.......

Something that also seems to have its roots in the Vedic past. Strange sounds and music were often heard while he worked.
BTW S+F
edit on 20-12-2010 by DreamerOracle because: adding

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The People from the Lost Continent of Lemuria, otherwise known as Mu built these structures prior to the destruction of Mu using anti-gravity devices the size of matchboxes. The people of Mu also were the Rulers of Atlantis and when they saw that the Egyptian race was about to "Take Off" Spiritually they built them the pyramid at Giza to control the weather so that they could irrigate the lands and also speak with their home world and also view into parallel universes. How do I know? Read Thiaoouba. The entire history of Earh and what planet each race came from is explained.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Great post op! I had never heard of this one.

One would think that with our technology and the natural curiosity of man we would put all of our resources together and process sites like these so we can find out who we are and where we came from. It really seams like our true history is being hidden and not to long ago we "started over" and now we are close to the technology that explains and makes possible the fragmented legends and story's we've been able to put together. The more we learn, the more we realize we only really re-learned.

The only real question for me is, how many times has civilization started over and why?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I think what fascinates me the most about megalithic sites, is not the sites themselves, but our approach to them. As a society, we think much more highly of ourselves than we should. And since that paradigm is perpetuated by the mainstream of social evolutionists, "science" and "education", many of our predisposed attitudes toward ancient cultures taint our ability to see what is often right in front of our faces.

Namely, that at some point in linear time, our ancestors were not by any means primitive, they were just different. And there focus was different. And they obviously knew things we have yet to rediscover (Or be made privy too). Things that in their time, seem to have been relatively common knowledge throughout the earth. Seeing that we find these structures all over the planet. And my guess is we haven't found but a portion of what there is yet to find. Or be made privy too.

Great post. S&F and

edit on 20-12-2010 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2010 by Klassified because: Addition and correction.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Within the span of four or possibly even more billion earth years to date, there is plety of time for a plethora of failed experients.....Mother nature was never one to be idle either.
The giants have been found in cave tombs of the grand canyon( since destroyed, some say, by the Smithsonian) in order to preserve archaaeology as it was laid out.covering up the existance of the giant race which preceeded us......
Perhaps They were the constructors of the southern american pyramids??

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

(Great thread) The giant race of builders show themselves throughout history. You see them made mention to with the mound builders in Ohio-Missouri as well...having the bones of giants buried within the mounds. Blavetsky, in her Secret Doctrine mentions that the 3rd root race was in fact giant, in excess of 8 feet tall. As I recall Cayce mentions the same of the Atlanteans. The Atlanteans being the corollary race to Blavatsky's 3rd root race.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I believe this topic was discussed in an episode of Ancient Aliens - Underwater structures on the History Channel a few weeks back. what a great topic and a great find. Thanks for posting this as I love reading articles and posts relating to mysterious places around the globe. As with other underwater structures, it has become forbidden discussion among main stream archeologists. They are afraid to admit at the possibility of these structures b/c it would mean it was very possible they were built before the last ice age. Meaning over 10,000 years ago. That is when mainstream archeology says first civilizations were formed. So, how can it be that there are these underwater cities? the only other way is to build them underwater. Unless, before the last ice age melted and the water receded, that this was dry land and much easier to build such structures. Or, like discussed in the episode of Ancient Aliens, it was Aliens who helped humans build these structures. And, there is ALOT of evidence for this. Along the coast of Japan is probably the most notable. about 70 feet underwater is this structure that looks like a stage with steps and cut right angles. the ONLY way for it to have gotten there was for humans to have created it approx. 12,000 years ago when we were still using rocks and stones as tools! How then, could we have created such a magnificent piece of architecture? As usual, scientific fact is proven wrong time and time again. Like the world being taught to our children 600 years ago as being flat, to other fields in science that take decades to prove. For some reason though, mainstream archeology just won't touch and study these underwater structures as it can be career suicide. Such a shame too b/c its a chance for history to be re-written.

Again, thank you for such a wonderful piece of information. one of the better posts I have ever read in ATS, or at least one of the most enjoyable..

kix

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Excelent thread, this is what ATS is for, not Facebook and marital problems. (that seem to be plagging the site lately).

Super info. I wonder if this should be filled under, forbidden history or out of place artifacts.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join