It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus wept

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
With all of the hunger that is going on in the world, it's stories like this that remind me of an expression that my grandmother used to say.

While everyone is hustling and bustling trying to get all of their shopping done, worried that they haven't spent enough. All of the parties and celebrations, the planning and decorating. The keeping up with the neighbors so the lights on their houses don't look skimpy.

We have come to this. For what this tree could be used for instead of the bragging rights, the simple fact of food and shelter that this could provide. I can just hear her now..

Jesus wept..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5abb9ede8b5.jpg[/atsimg]

A glitzy hotel in Abu Dhabi has put on show a jewel-encrusted Christmas tree which it says is worth over $11m (£7m).

Worlds most expensive Christmas tree

This really does make me feel sick. What has happened to the spirit of Christmas that once existed?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
There is no such thing as "the spirit of christmas" it has always been a religious ploy to ensure money is spent. It is a good one at that at. If you need a special holiday or special day of the year so you can go and help the needy and poor, well then, you're just jumping on the band wagon. You can do that any other day.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I guess in a place where 7 night stay is $1mill an $11mill Christmas tree amounts to a lot of goodwill and peace on earth, no?

le sigh..

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Hey tribewilder!!

This is very interesting, to say the least!!
I live here in AUH and haven't even HEARD of this!
Today is Friday (day off/weekend) and I think I will take the wife over to have a look.

Let you know. Maybe I can get a few photos.

BTW: been to a conference at "THE" Palace one time and ran out of cigarettes. Bought a pack there:
36AED ($10.00). It is a really nice hotel but I can't afford to stay there, 'magine that!

ETA: Have to wait. My wife had other plans. Maybe tomorrow.

73's,
Tom
edit on 17-12-2010 by tomdham because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I agree with your reasoning, for the many poor and the overabundant life style of few, except for one thing:

WHY DUBAI?

Does it mean you've just found that story that shocked you, as an example of similar stories in our part of the world? Or it is because Dubai is a Muslim country? Why not we consider the rich lifestyle of America instead? How many common American houses have EVERYTHING for Christmas, making party after party or going to such parties in other rich houses, in the period when the rest of the world prepares with fasting and prayer for the birth of Jesus? Couldn't they send a check to Mother Theresa's organization instead, for the really poor children who will not enjoy the expensive gifts under another Christmas tree - less expensive than Dubai, but nevertheless too expensive for the Africans?

Jesus weeps indeed, for America! For the Great Harlot that will be punished soon!

Dubai is not a Christian country. And if they put an expensive Christmas tree in a western style hotel visited by western people, that means after all they make some significant expression of their honor of Christmas. In their way, with petrol-dollars that the West paid them. I do not approve such style, however I see in that Christmas tree the hidden desire of some to join the Christian world. Other non-Christian countries are doing the same. Countries that many of you guys would call "Communist who persecute Christians". Like China for example. China celebrates Christmas, if you don't know. We cannot blame the non-Christians if they spend money on Christmas, because they honor it. (Remember Mary Magdalene with the fragrant oil.) Who at the same time spend more money for their own poor than America is spending for her own poor. We can blame ourselves if the birth of Jesus for us is only the shopping mall. Hope not, for any of the readers! Hope Jesus doesn't weep for any of you guys! Hope my position is well understood and won't be misinterpreted.

Merry and HOLY Christmas!
edit on 17-12-2010 by Gliese581 because: correction

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gliese581

Hello Gliese,

Emirates Palace is in Abu Dhabi and no it is not Christian but we go to Mass at St. Joseph RC Church.
Not a bad place really. Been here for six years.
And Dubai is not a country it is an Emirate. The UAE is a country.

They do have extreme excess but just wait till the oil runs out. They'll be herding camels and goats up and down Al Salam street again.!!

ETA: Oh yeah, I just got my visa renewed: Total: AED15000 ($4100). Price has gone up recently.

That does not include my wife's visa or health insurance (mandatory).

73's,
Tom
edit on 17-12-2010 by tomdham because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

You know, Christians still don't realize that Christmas trees are a symbol that was adopted from Paganism and other religions.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

This really does make me feel sick. What has happened to the spirit of Christmas that once existed?

The Christmas Spirit, is gone. Christmas now days is just, the biggest and profitable business. Considering the poor kids, that living in the streets, makes you sad. With that amount of money that is been spend for a single Christmas tree, imagine how many kids, that amount money would help.

Peace

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gliese581
I agree with your reasoning, for the many poor and the overabundant life style of few, except for one thing:

WHY DUBAI?

Does it mean you've just found that story that shocked you, as an example of similar stories in our part of the world? Or it is because Dubai is a Muslim country? Why not we consider the rich lifestyle of America instead?

Actually it was just the story itself and the absurd amount spent on the one tree that finally got to me. I didn't even think of where this story came from when I posted this and in no way wanted to "put down" or make a point of the place.

If it had happened in my city here in Canada, it would have illicit-ed the same response. I know that the excesses many spend this time of year could be used for a better good, but it was just the amount that made me realize how ridiculous it is getting. I am sure that there are thousands of other examples of this, but I just happened upon this one.

My apologies if this offended anyone, or caused anyone to think that I was in any way trying to single out any one religion. That was never my intent at all.

with respects...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
There is no such thing as "the spirit of christmas" it has always been a religious ploy to ensure money is spent. It is a good one at that at. If you need a special holiday or special day of the year so you can go and help the needy and poor, well then, you're just jumping on the band wagon. You can do that any other day.

I agree with you 100 percent and am saddened every year when I hear about the "season of giving". Unfortunately, many people do need something to give them a kick in order to think of others, as heartbreaking as that is.

Maybe someday, we as a species, will realize that to help others is to help ourselves. I can only hope..

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm more shocked it's in Abu Dhabi.

When I lived in Saudi Arabia, you couldn't find a Christmas tree for sale if you tried.
We actually did luck out though...there was a store that sold fake plants, and the owner didn't realize the significance of it, because it only had the name of the type of tree it was mimicking, and didn't say "Christmas" anywhere on the box.

You have to understand the mentality over there though. It's go big or go home, when it comes to displays of wealth in those cultures. Not saying I approve, I don't, but I know where they are coming from.

I personally don't have much to give, but especially around this season, I try to do so when I find the opportunity...and usually with homeless folks. Like the other day, it was really cold here, and I was walking, so a homeless guy picking up cans in the cold, so I gave him a fiver and suggested he get some coffee. Last night, a similar thing. My wife and I were leaving my work Christmas Party, and back to the car. We saw a homeless guy picking through the trash, but wearing a Santa hat. How cool was that? Down on his luck, but also in the spirit....had to give him some bucks too. To me, that's what this holiday is all about, and what really makes me happy.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
If your annoyed by that then I invite you to take a look at this site and have a fit!

Most expensive.net Its full of stuff like this, actually that tree is on the front page at the moment

Other highlights include these hideously ugly rims for $1,000,000
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac17e16c6f08.jpg[/atsimg]

A $330,000 Ipod
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2296f7c39179.jpg[/atsimg]

and this $25 million watch
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c73b94ef44c.jpg[/atsimg]

Tasteful no?
edit on 17-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

How would you keep people from prying out the gems on the rims? That's just insane....

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I guess in a place where 7 night stay is $1mill an $11mill Christmas tree amounts to a lot of goodwill and peace on earth, no?

le sigh..

What? 1 million for a 7 night stay, there better be a personal bathroom attended.

Pffftt.......for that kind of money I am taking the bath towels.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

With all of the hunger that is going on in the world, it's stories like this that remind me of an expression that my grandmother used to say.

While everyone is hustling and bustling trying to get all of their shopping done, worried that they haven't spent enough. All of the parties and celebrations, the planning and decorating. The keeping up with the neighbors so the lights on their houses don't look skimpy.

We have come to this. For what this tree could be used for instead of the bragging rights, the simple fact of food and shelter that this could provide.

I can just hear her now.. Jesus wept..

Do you know this?

In some places in the English-speaking world, including the UK, Ireland (particularly Dublin) and Australia, the phrase "Jesus wept" is a common expletive, curse or minced oath spoken when something goes wrong or to express mild incredulity.

I understand how you feel.

All the money spent this time of the year is so sad.

edit on 20-12-2010 by Oneolddude because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join