It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Terrence Mckenna Quotes (Must read IMO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Terrence Mckenna has always been one of the few people to truly inspire me. I thought that I'd share some of his quotes with you here on ATS.

"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is #-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world." — Terence McKenna

"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." — Terence McKenna

"You have to take seriously the notion that understanding the universe is your responsibility, because the only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding." — Terence McKenna

"Television is by nature the dominator drug par excellence. Control of content, uniformity of content, repeatability of content make it inevitably a tool of coersion, brainwashing, and manipulation." — Terence McKenna

"Western civilization is a loaded gun pointed at the head of this planet." — Terence McKenna

Plenty more here!

I don't have much to say that he hasn't put better himself!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I really love the guy. Wish he were still around.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
One of my favorite people ever.
A true prophet.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

"The creative act is a letting down of the net of human imagination into the ocean of chaos on which we are suspended, and the attempt to bring out of it ideas. It is the night sea journey, the lone fisherman on a tropical sea with his nets, and you let these nets down - sometimes, something tears through them that leaves them in shreds and you just row for shore, and put your head under your bed and pray. At other times what slips through are the minutiae, the minnows of this ichthyological metaphor of idea chasing. But, sometimes, you can actually bring home something that is food, food for the human community that we can sustain ourselves on and go forward." -Terrence Mckenna

I wonder where its consciousness floats now.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrundleFly

"The creative act is a letting down of the net of human imagination into the ocean of chaos on which we are suspended, and the attempt to bring out of it ideas. It is the night sea journey, the lone fisherman on a tropical sea with his nets, and you let these nets down - sometimes, something tears through them that leaves them in shreds and you just row for shore, and put your head under your bed and pray. At other times what slips through are the minutiae, the minnows of this ichthyological metaphor of idea chasing. But, sometimes, you can actually bring home something that is food, food for the human community that we can sustain ourselves on and go forward." -Terrence Mckenna

I wonder where its consciousness floats now.

Everywhere.
Omnipresent.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

No problems mate, this guy really is one of my favourite all time speakers.

He reeked of divine spirituality, intelligent humour and overall extreme enlightenment.

Very good guy, also very said to see him go

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My friends dad actually bought a piece of land from him on the big island of hawaii. There was a huge Ayuhausacha (sp) vine there. I mean it was like 9 inches diameter in some spots. It was so big it was overtaking the house, my friend had to beat it back with machetes and weed eaters.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Great thread and find, I miss Terrence Mckenna so much, I have hundreds of interviews he did including the ones he did with Art Bell..here is a link to many of his interviews that are free to download..

Terence McKenna (1946—2000) has been studying the ontological foundations of Shamanism and the Ethnopharmacology of spiritual transformation for the past quarter century. An innovative theoretician and spellbinding orator, Terence has emerged as a powerful voice for the psychedelic movement and the emergent societal tendency he calls The Archaic Revival. Poetically dispensing enlightened social criticism and new theories of the fractal dynamics of time, Terence deobfuscates many aspects of the visionary lexicon, and then some. As Artist Alex Grey suggests, "In the twilight of human history, McKenna's prescription for salvation is just so crazy it might work."

deoxy.org...

edit on 16-12-2010 by Aquarius1 because: Added quote

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Is this the Timewave Zero guy? I never got into that, always thought it was a crock but after reading these quotes it seems I've underestimated him and maybe time for a proper look at his work. Any suggestions what to tackle first?
edit on 16/12/2010 by Mez353 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mez353
Is this the Timewave Zero guy? I never got into that, always thought it was a crock but after reading these quotes it seems I've underestimated him and maybe time for a proper look at his work. Any suggestions what to tackle first?
edit on 16/12/2010 by Mez353 because: (no reason given)

You may want to check this link, download one of the first interviews Terrence did with Art Bell and that should give you an overview of what he was all about.

deoxy.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I shall do that right away and get back to you on my thoughts later, cheers.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mez353

The transcendental object at the end of time, my summary in one sentence would be that he wants us to follow the example of our forefathers and lead by example.

Singularity of Technology and Biological Intent, is more difficult to understand after only one listen but here's my take: it is his understanding of the meaning of the Universe that it's all one interconnected organism. For example, a human is a smaller version of the Universe in that we evolve in the same manner, in the same 'dimension' as the Universe evolves, not necessarily at the same rate but in the same interconnected dimension. And we meet (or complete) at the end of time as we and the Universe accelerate towards it. I think!?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Here's a good discussion Mckenna has with Art Bell that begins with the concept of time.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Great thread I love terence mckenna's work S&F also I enjoyed reading your signature threads I totally agree with your acid thread!

Peace

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Glad you liked em mate

I feel very passionate about '___' as you can probably tell from the read.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Great thread.

I can honestly say I look up to Terrence Mckenna for guidance more than anyone else. I wish he were still around, but I'm so damn grateful to him for leaving us with a great collection of his work (books, speeches, software).

He's my hero.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

He has definitely left such a wealth of knowledge for us.

I can only begin to imagine what else he had stored in his amazing mind before he died!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here is a link with more talks and interviews with Terrence McKenna plus Abbie Hoffman, Robert Anton Wilson and much more, enjoy.

www.futurehi.net...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks a lot, I will check them out when I am not busy.

I got given a disk that had loads of old talks done by him, some with amateur camera work. He has a beautiful way with words and delivers his complex messages in an easy way to understand. A natural speaker and quite a funny chap.

Out of all the people I would have liked to have met, Terrence Mckenna would have been one of them! What an amazing man he was.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Out of all the people I would have liked to have met, Terrence Mckenna would have been one of them! What an amazing man he was

Agreed, also would have loved to meet him, I still listen to the interviews he did with Art Bell, remember how I felt the night Art announced on air they Terrence has left us, can you imagine what he has learned since then, transmission please.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join