It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange bail decision made by UK authorities, not Sweden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Julian Assange bail decision made by UK authorities, not Sweden

www.guardian.co.uk

The decision to have Julian Assange sent to a London jail and kept there was taken by the British authorities and not by prosecutors in Sweden, as previously thought, the Guardian has learned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
hi all, hope this hasn't been posted yet!
seems the poor Swedes didnt do it!

but the british themselves.

what thoughts does this raise? Im concerned that the Govt. there wasn't open about that, but... whose government is?
the media in Britain are really asking hard questions, i am surprised about that.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

This is doesn't add up really. Yesterday it was stated fact that it was the Swedes decision on the appeal. I'm pretty sure they even made statements and when at first it looked like they wouldn't it was Sweden that said that info was wrong and they would appeal.

Weird.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Easy believing the British made the decision, but were they pushed into it by the US?

However you look at this, it is a witch hunt.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
People are such sheep. I would like to be living in a world where politiicians and courts knew they were walking a thin line and committee's of citizens roasted their asses all the time, withdrawing incomes, pensions and even prison terms for any misconduct, and that angry crowds gathered to do JAIL BREAKS WHENEVER NECESSARY BY THE THOUSANDS! That is the world we need to work for. Run by groups, of ciitizens.
edit on 15-12-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Someone is not telling the truth here. I can't help wondering if this has anything to do with the cable released today regarding secret ops between US and Swedish Ministry of Justice. There's a thread on it.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

This whole situation is getting so strange. Assange, whatever you may think of him, has galvanised such massive curiousity, and high-profile/large scale support. Added to that, the explicit and well defined connection between his story/case and the most secretive and under-hand elements of state control and intervention in civil liberties AND amidst such a volatile back-drop of civil unrest (at least here in Europe) due to the economical and political situations...

It strikes me that if he meets any kind of sticky or suspicious end, or even dubious extradition and further intervention in his trial/case, both the UK and US governments will without doubt be redefining themselves and what they stand for in a massively unprecedented way - no? It could totally redefine the relationship between governments and citizens. I don't think that would be good.

I think the wise thing would be for the governments to back off and avoid a scene...but then I don't know what they know...what IS going on? Why allow such clear and frankly clumsy abuse of the law and human rights to occur at such a high profile?

Has anybody yet provided ANY evidence that Assange obtained/stole rather than received the Wikileaks data, if not, surley he has committed no more crime in reporting it than any other journalist, his current Swedish/CIA operatives case should proceed as normal...this just seems so...clumsy.

You know, in the UK, over the past few years there were numerous cases where very restricted data was 'lost' by MOD and government employees (i.e. Flash Drives, Dossiers, Laptops, left in cafes or trains...) So what if a school-kid, or niaive blogger picked up said data and published it online. How would the state react...how would blame be ascribed, who is at fault - the organisation that failed to protect the data surely?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Before anyone jumps on the conspiracy bandwagon (too late, it would seem) they would be wise to enlighten themselves as to the extradition process...

If someone is requested to be extradited, they are arrested and go before the courts. If granted bail pending the final decision, they are allowed free, but if the other party appeals the bail decision, then the accused is remanded into custody until that appeal is held, within 48hrs according to the law.

So, the Swedes may be technically correct in saying it was the British that put him in Prison, but if the Swede's hadn't opposed bail then he would have walked free pending his extradition hearing.

So, it really is the Swede's fault he is behind bars pending the appeal, but the lefty, tree-hugging Guardian doesn't care to much about little facts like that....

The exact same thing happened to that chap who is accused of having his wife murdered in SA...

top topics

join