It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea preparing for new nuclear test: report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

North Korea preparing for new nuclear test: report

ca.news.yahoo.com

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea appears to be readying for a possible third nuclear test as early as next March, a newspaper reported on Wednesday, as a U.S. politician travelled to Pyongyang with a message for the North to "calm down".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
How does one country get away with such threats/tests?

Imagine if Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan would have tested such Nuclear Weapons in an open fashion as we see NK doing.. Their Military Infrastructure and Nuclear Sites would be flat-lined quicker than I could make a thread about it.

I guess when March rolls around it's back to the UN for condemnation.
edit on 15-12-2010 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hmm.. wonder if this bomb was made using one of their outsourced facilities like the one mentioned in the wikileaks cables. Apparently they have been building nuclear reactors in Myanmar and presumably other places. And you know they aren't doing that so Myanmar can keep all the enriched uranium.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm not an advocate of war unless it's self defense and if theirs a very good reason to start one but this is getting ridiculous. Instead of worrying about Iran and whoever else, our time and resources should be used to getting rid of the leadership of NK. This is a never ending cycle that needs to be stopped once and for all.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
North Korea gets away with it because China is their allies. We obviously fear China or we would stop North Korea...any better answers????

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I agree with you, but I am forced to play the devil's advocate due to this part from your source in your OP

U.S. and South Korean intelligence have been watching the North's nuclear sites for any activity. Analysts say the North could use a test to try to gain leverage in international talks it is seeking and secure aid to prop up its destitute economy.

I know NK has done stuff that warrants being monitored, but this just seems like build up for another theater of war the USA and TPTB are planning.

This is the same "US intelligence" that invaded Afghanistan because of 911 and Iraq because of WMD's.

Let it be clear I am not defending Kim Jong IL, Saddam Hussein, or the Taliban. I am just pointing out that perhaps this is more mainstream propaganda. But there certainly is a chance that I am totally wrong here. We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte
North Korea gets away with it because China is their allies. We obviously fear China or we would stop North Korea...any better answers????

Yep.

No oil. No resources.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
where is the outcry to stop nuclear weapon testing, surely this is the most irresponsible thing to do to this planet, and I'm not that much of a save the planet kind of guy.....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's a shame really that nobody in the World has got any balls to do something about this!

Countries like NK and to a certain extent, Iran, have been basically doing whatever they like for a number of years now. We (the World) have effectively let them carry on with their nuclear programs, developing nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

So where do this all take us?

In the not so distant future, either NK or Iran WILL have Nukes and then all the other Countries in the Middle East will then want them too. Or South Korea and Japan will get them in double quick time if NK progresses much further.

Do we stop NK and Iran NOW before something major happens because these two Countries are crazy enough to use Nukes. Crazy in different ways but crazy all the same!

Or do we let them carry on, sit back, do nothing, go home after work, have tea with the Wife, water the flowers in the garden and then one day wake up to hearing on the MSM that there is a large mushroom cloud over South Korea or Israel!

Cut the head off the chicken I say...!

Your thoughts please??

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

Well North Korea already has them. They have tested them several times.
Iran I'm not really concerned about.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Well North Korea already has them. They have tested them several times.
Iran I'm not really concerned about.

NK has "tested" a couple of Nukes underground, very low yield one's at that!

But they will need to do a lot more testing, look at how many the US and UK set off during the 40's and 50's in Nevada and Bikini Islands etc.?

NK will also have to somehow minaturise their Nukes, fit them onto a missile and get them to work proerly before they have an ICBM that apart from hitting South Korea could go anywhere else.

So NK has a long way to go unless of course China sells them one or two to copy.

Iran could simply buy one off Russia or Pakistan, so I think they will go the buying route rather than developing route. Iran would have to test a lot of Nukes underground first, they have the missile technology now though.

But as soon as the mad mullahs spark one off underneath Iran, Israel would act, no doubts there!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Well cables say that China is kind of backing out on it's support of NK.
Also, NK doesn't have to have a missile really, they could use artillery nukes and most likely hit Seoul.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist
where is the outcry to stop nuclear weapon testing, surely this is the most irresponsible thing to do to this planet, and I'm not that much of a save the planet kind of guy.....

Yeah, the UN and many nations were all against nuclear testing during the 90s and early 2000s...

Then the US started testing a new generation of nuclear weapons, dropping out of treaties in the process. This raised concerns among nations in the world pursuing nuclear disarmament, like Russia and North Korea. Ever since the US ignored calls to end nuclear weapons programs, other rival nuclear powers have viewed it as a threat and continued with their own programs in defensive measures.

North Korea has every right to continue developing their own nuclear weapons, it's probably the only reason why they haven't been invaded yet. People think North Korea needs to calm down? The US and South Korea have just conducted weeks of military trials that simulate war with North Korea. The US just signed a pact with South Korea where it could supply South Korea with tactical nuclear weapons to attack North Korea with. Am I the only person who views the US and South Korea as the aggressors here?

EDIT: And besides, as Vitchilo wisely points out in other threads on ATS, North Korea has a much more developed chemical warfare capability than its infant nuclear weapons program. Where is the concern for their real capabilities? There isn't, because hysteria has captured most people like it is usually designed to happen before Western invasions (they need to sell war, and war doesn't sell on truth).
edit on 15-12-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Are you crazy? Yeah maybe if they weren't still obsessed with a 50 year old war and attacking unprovoked. I'm afraid they have forfeited that right.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Since the last two acts of aggression were conducted by the North, that being the ship sinking and the shelling of the island, I would have to say that yes you are most likely alone on this one, not to mention it was the North who invaded the South in 1950.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Seems like North Korea pulls this every few years we send them money and food and Kim Jong IL shuts his mouth till there starveing again..They have tested nukes before and we sit back and do nothing and yes its ending cycle that needs to be stopped before something big happens,Kim Jong IL is just nuts enough to have something major come down he doesnt care about his people its all about him and yes we need to wake up!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson

Since the last two acts of aggression were conducted by the North, that being the ship sinking and the shelling of the island, I would have to say that yes you are most likely alone on this one, not to mention it was the North who invaded the South in 1950.

They did not torpedo the South Korean ship. The West claimed this without any real proof.

North Korea shelled the island in response to South Korea shelling North Korean territorial waters first.

And no, I'm not crazy. Nuclear weapons are a component of the MAD doctrine. If you have nuclear weapons, you have a pretty good chance of not getting invaded by hostile empires like the US.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

No. They wouldn't be invaded if they weren't seeking them. That isn't why they are developing them. It's a "the mouse that roared" situation. Seeking them and testing them is what will get them invaded.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Do you have proof that they did not torpedo the ship or are you taking the Norths and China's word for it? I find it amusing that the so called peaceniks never want to blame the aggressors in history, it's always the victims who have to defend themselves. The same goes for society, especially here in the US, the perps have more rights than there victims.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

No. They wouldn't be invaded if they weren't seeking them. That isn't why they are developing them. It's a "the mouse that roared" situation. Seeking them and testing them is what will get them invaded.

Yeah, right. That couldn't be further from the truth. North Korea is a nationalist country, and have no interest in being invaded by empires that are interested in exploiting their people and resources.

Do you have proof that they did not torpedo the ship or are you taking the Norths and China's word for it? I find it amusing that the so called peaceniks never want to blame the aggressors in history, it's always the victims who have to defend themselves. The same goes for society, especially here in the US, the perps have more rights than there victims.

aha, I expected someone to ask me that. You're really asking me to prove something didn't happen, when there really isn't even any real proof of it happening in the first place? It is the Western media and the US government that claimed North Korea torpedoed the ship, after weeks of uncertainty of even knowing what happened. Then they came up with some lame-ass excuse that the North Koreans are so primitive that they must have used a WWII-era suicide submarine/torpedo to conduct this heinous act? At least this is what I last saw of the US explaination, wouldn't surprise me if they changed their story several times just to fit the situation (just like they did with their Middle East campaign).

And really, should I trust the words of the Western governments and media over the words of North Korea (the defendants) and China? I at least am weary of the media that has lied to everyone since 9/11, which has lead to a violent military campaign that has "liberated" at least two countries and murdered hundreds of thousands of people. So you tell me if I should believe the US explanation of North Korea torpedoing a South Korean ship

edit on 15-12-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join