It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ironic...FDA fines Dannon Activia Yogurt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+56 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I came across this today and couldn't help but wonder, of course I wasn't surprised .Please read the external text from ctv.ca . Then I will explain the Irony.

Date: Wednesday Dec. 15, 2010 11:22 AM ET PORTLAND, Ore. — Dannon Co. Inc. has agreed pay US$21 million and drop some health claims for its Activia yogurt and DanActive dairy drink under pressure from U.S. state and federal regulators. The food company has claimed in its marketing its Activia yogurt helps relieve irregularity and that its DanActive drink helps people avoid catching colds or the flu. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission says there is not enough evidence to back those claims. It says it has reached a settlement with the company that prohibits it from making such claims unless they are approved by the FDA. The attorneys general from 39 states also say that they've reached a $21 million settlement with the food maker over the claims.

There are so many things wrong here...

First off, I am no expert on probiotics but here is a Wikipedia link that points out the benefits of probiotics. Yes of course Wikipedia lets anyone write and edit articles so perhaps whoever wrote this article had a motive. But I am going to lean towards probiotics being healthy due to other studies, and testimonial of people who have used this product.

So now we get to the FDA and the attorneys general from 39 states fining Dannon for millions of dollars for the claims they make about the benefits of the product. Isn't this the same FDA that approved aspartame, and fluoride in the water. I know that both aspartame and fluoride have been discussed on here in great detail. Feel free to do your own research, but I am willing to assume that most people on ATS are already aware of these two additives in our food and water supply.

In my opinion there is more evidence towards aspartame and fluoride being very harmful versus the decision by the FDA that probiotics are not proven to provide the benefits that Dannon claims.

So we have one evil government entity fining a large corporation due to "unfounded claims". I am sure that Dannon is as shady as any other large corporation and are probably owned by a larger conglomerate but that is not the point of this thread.

I just find it really ironic that the FDA will approve poison for all of the population, but will fine a company for making "unfounded claims", that are actually mostly proven.

FDA guy says: "Let's put fluoride in the water and aspartame in everything else, then sue Dannon for promoting a healthy product.

This happens as S. 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act is passed earlier this month, TPTB are pushing the Codex Alimentarius. It has been obvious for a long time, but it is clear that they are trying to depopulate the planet while they rob us too.

Is it just me or is this whole situation come across as sinister and ironic?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Quite honestly, at this point in time, a lot of people in federal agencies including to and not limited to the FDA, deserve to die.

They cause such immeasurable harm to millions of people, that it goes beyond criminal. How, in the love of God, do you prosecute anyone from agencies that knowingly sicken to the point of death, millions of people, while also profiting from it?

Some people, literally need to be removed from this Earth, or simply medicated to the point where they can no longer cause such destruction to all of mankind.

(Not trying to say that fining a yogurt company is especially heinous, just the astounding hypocrisy surrounding it, after all they've done.)

If the FDA was abolished, along with Monsanto and all of their ilk, I would sleep so much better.
edit on 15-12-2010 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have no problem with this.
The fact is these are unfounded claims made to sell a product.
Once these claims have been fully researched and confirmed independently then they can use them in adverts.
Laws like this are designed to stop snake oil salesmen making outrageous claims for the product.
That's all this is, just a case of the FDA doing what it's supposed to do.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Those are my thoughts exactly. It keeps getting worse instead of better. Or maybe it was always this bad but we are all finally realizing it. Either way, it is sad that we cannot "remove" these people.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HEREFORD 1969

I have no problem with this. The fact is these are unfounded claims made to sell a product. Once these claims have been fully researched and confirmed independently then they can use them in adverts. Laws like this are designed to stop snake oil salesmen making outrageous claims for the product. That's all this is, just a case of the FDA doing what it's supposed to do.

I certainly appreciate your opinion. But the FDA does not do what it is "supposed" to do. Did you not read the whole thread? Please let me know if you would like me to provide you with sources on information about aspartame and fluoride and how the FDA approved these products? Would you like some sources about the Codex Alimentarius? How about senate bill s 510?

The FDA is clearly not doing what it is there to do. At least not on all fronts. If it was doing it's job none of this would be happening.
edit on 15-12-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: add to post

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HEREFORD 1969
I have no problem with this.
The fact is these are unfounded claims made to sell a product.
Once these claims have been fully researched and confirmed independently then they can use them in adverts.
Laws like this are designed to stop snake oil salesmen making outrageous claims for the product.
That's all this is, just a case of the FDA doing what it's supposed to do.

No.

These "laws" are designed to stop companies from selling healthy products that could interfere with their pharmaceutical plunderers. It doesn't bode well for the FDA to have people eating even remotely healthy, regardless of the claims or not, because people wouldn't need as much medication and would be of sound mind.

The FDA approves toxic additives in all our foods. They allow the biggest corporate leaders in produce to not disclose where meat, vegetables or fruit are imported from. They allow for extremely hazardous hormones in cattle, and knowing them to be dangerous, they choose to allow the corporate leaders in milk and beef production to not disclose their use of hormones to the public.

They do not give a damn about you, or supposed false claims of reported health.

Eating yogurt like this does help your irregular digestive system, that's what yogurt does for crying out loud. It's healthy bacteria, designed specifically to assist in a healthy digestive system; and it obviously helps your immune system, however slight, preventing colds and the flu.

But it won't if it's loaded with dyes, preservatives and aspartame, all of which the FDA loves. Healthy yogurt won't do a thing for you either, if you're loaded on prescription medications designed to prolong your ailments for maximum profit.

Honestly, you have a pretty good shot at life if you choose to literally do the opposite of what the FDA says you should do.

I've been doing well myself, following that dogma. Remarkably, I haven't keeled over from scurvy, or the plague, or simply died instantly, contrary to the FDA's high-priest's warnings.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I agree that there is a bias towards big pharma/monsanto, but the claims made by Dannon are unscientific.
All that's happened here is that Dannon have gotten into trouble for claims they have made, which are unscientific and unproven.
Once Dannon provide proof that Activa does what it claims to do, then they should be allowed to advertise the fact.
If they are blocked, once the proof is provided, then action should be taken against the FDA.
edit on 15-12-2010 by HEREFORD 1969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

May I please ask you a question?

Which is worse in your opinion...FDA allowing fluoride in the water, aspartame in food or Dannon making "unscientific" claims? Once again I appreciate your opinion, but it seems you did not interpret my thread as it was meant to be interpreted.

No big deal... I just find it weird you are defending the FDA for enforcing this "law" while you seem to not care about the poison they promote. Please correct me if I am wrong

How can you defend these people in any way shape or form?

No offense meant, and none taken.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Nutritional value and health benefits
-Yoghurt is nutritionally rich in protein, calcium, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.
-It has nutritional benefits beyond those of milk. People who are moderately lactose-intolerant can consume yoghurt without ill effects, because much of the lactose in the milk precursor is converted to lactic acid by the bacterial culture.
-Yoghurt may also be used in preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
-Yoghurt is believed to promote good gum health, possibly because of the effect of lactic acid present in yoghurt. -A study published in the International Journal of Obesity (11 January 2005) also found that the consumption of low-fat yoghurt can promote weight loss, especially due to the calcium in the yoghurt.

en.wikipedia.org...
-------------

These are substantiated scientific facts, aside from the gum-health claim. Any of these factors will contribute to a stronger immune system, thus preventing a cold or flu. Especially the vitamins and the stimulated metabolism leading to possible decrease in weight.

A clever team of lawyers could run with this and more.

Funny thing is though, Dannon uses plenty of crap in their products that makes me cringe, all the FDA approved heavy-hitters like aspartame. So here I am defending this corporation, but I feel I have to jump in their corner when the insanely criminal FDA accuses them of claiming that yogurt doesn't do what yogurt actually does. Then fining them for millions.

The conspiracy side in me (yes even more tinfoil) wants to bet that this whole fiasco was initiated from some back room squabble between CEO's, government representatives and lobbyists. That some Dannon representative neglected to agree to something particularly nefarious, or simply damaging to their company. Then someone sicked the FDA hounds on them. Wouldn't doubt it.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to defend the FDA or big corporations like danone. The thing about
the yoghurts is that they present them as some kind of 'miracle' food. in the ads they
imply that they will help your digestion and help boost your immune system.
What danone neglect to tell you in their ads is that
-the amount of probiotic in each yoghurt
is not standardised, you could be getting way less than would be beneficial

-Any studies used by companies like Dannone will have used the sick or elderly, healthy young
people usually manufacture their own probiotics in the gut and don't need any extra.

- each yoghurt has a couple of teaspoons of sugar added
-
you could get similar benefits from a cheap unbranded natural yoghurt.

-standardised pro- biotic pills are the only way to get a known amount of the probiotic in your system and again probably cheaper

I don't trust the fda but neither do i trust the food companies that would sell us anything as long as it gets
them rich. Dannone are selling a myth and in this case I think the FDA were right regardless of their motives.

edit on 15-12-2010 by DrHammondStoat because: ermm

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ever since I learned years ago that the FDA says its okay for the milk I fed my kids was okay even though it has so many parts of infected udder cow pus in it plus the acceptable amounts of hormones.. well.. not only was I grossed out but I learned to never trust the FDA. The more I researched them the more heinous it became. The FDA claiming that dannon is a bad guy because of their false claims, the FDA better check some of the claims they have made about product safety and effects.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Who sues the FDA for things like fluoride in the water, pushing trans-fats as the "healthy alternative", giving their stamp of approval to all sorts of cancer causing dyes and flavors and permitting the sale of toxic unnecessary prescriptions?

Oh, no one. Well thank holy god for the blessed FDA. Without which I might not have to study and filter every little think I put inside my body.

The FDA and their fine/bribe system make mass murder legal. Not just legal but government approved.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The FDA is quick to call out Cheerios and Activia and make some quick cash but what about inspecting facilities and doing their job? They seem to be more motivated by money than anything else. Go figure!

I remember them getting all bent out of shape on Cheerios claiming that it was heart healthy and it lowers cholesterol
What a joke.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Activia has aspartame in it...
True story.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Is all about the control of big pharma over the whores in the FDA, money talks BS walk.

In America prescription drugs are killing people a year, but this drugs are approved by the FDA without proper case studies.

Now I will like to know how many have died from eating Dannon Activia yogurt.

Most of the information on drugs in the US studies are done by bias buy out sources and that is good for the corrupted FDA, as long as they get their pimps pay.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Ok , that is good news but what about the Flu Vaccine

oh never mind forget it

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Funny how the fda allows them to have aspertame and poo poos the pro biotics
you folks are right
thats just wrong on sooooo many levels

not to mention that the flue vaccine causes false positives on aids tests
wow now thats a wind fall for the medical industrial complex....

star and flag

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Flu Season: Health Promotion is Disease Prevention
By Dr. Christine Zorad

(Dr. Zorad is a 1986 Summa Cume Laude Graduate of Cleveland Chiropractic College in Kansas City)
What is fear except: false evidence appearing real. Dr. Marc Siegel, author of False Alarm: The Truth About the Epidemic of Fear says “We have set up a situation where fear is created, and then we try to create the treatment for this fear. The public gets the idea that the flu is going to kill them and the vaccine will save them. Neither is true,” he said.

3. Avoid sugar as much as possible. Americans consume 2-3 pounds of sugar each week. Sugar will greatly slow the immune system and can bring it to a halt. It is no coincidence in my opinion that the flu season starts around Halloween, carries through the Holidays and into the spring when diets tend to be the worst.

6. Take good organic vitamins and supplements. I recommend multivitamins, flax seed oil, fish oils, pro-biotics and antioxidants. It can be fun and easy to give children daily vitamins and minerals by making a smoothie using liquid versions of the supplements with yogurt, whey protein, and fruits. About 60% of our immune tissue is in and around the colon. Colon health is another defense to foreign invaders. Chinese medicine suggests cleansing the colon in the spring and the fall

www.mommythink.com...

well there you go
I don't like aspertame, but no sugar, and probiotics, are Dr. Recommended
so maybe the FDA shoud ban its self for being hazardous to your health...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Killface

Activia has aspartame in it... True story.

INGREDIENTS: Cultured grade A reduced fat milk, fructose syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, contains less than 1% of fructose, whey protein contentrate, kosher gelatin, natural vanilla flavor, sodium citrate, malic acid. Contains the active cultures L.Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus and Bifidobacterium.

dietfacts.com

It has sugar , fructose, and fructose syrup as sweetener. I think you are confusing Activia with other yogurts. Other than the sweeteners I mentioned it seems pretty much healthier than other yogurts. This was vanilla flavor though so I am guessing the other flavors would contain some dyes.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You would be surprised how often I end up being completely amazed at the insight of my youngest son. He says so many things that cut through the crap and hit that uncomfortable truth that lies at the core of issues like this.

Apparently, he inherited some of his old man's paranoia, because he is hypervigilant to people trying to screw him around. One day he comes up to me and asks, "Dad, what is "FDA?" At first I was confused, due to my career, and told him, "Front Desk Agent". He replied, "Why would your employees be in trouble over medicine?" After a few more questions, we got to the heart of it: he wanted to know who THE FDA was. So I explained that they were the people that were responsible for approving medications, making sure they are safe. This satisfied him, and he went on.

A couple of weeks later we are watching TV and a commercial comes on looking for people to join a lawsuit for some medication (I think Avandia) and he says, "Hey dad....what does the FDA do again?" I explain it to him again, and he replies, "Well, they obviously suck at it. They should get fired." When i probed him a little, he went on, "Every night i see commercial after commercial for all sorts of different medicines. Whoever is approving them sucks at their job, apparently."

He is absolutely correct. Do the pharmaceutical companies carry some burden? Of course...but acquiring FDA approval should provide them with some level of safety in litigation.

If I, as a manager, make a really bad decision that ends up in court, I can personally be sued. Even for things that seem to be just enforcing company policy...i am still legally responsible for the decisions made, regardless of policy. The FDA should have the same accountability for what they do. The person providing approval should be on the hook just the same as the company that manufactured the drug.

I keep hearing the GOP side yell about "tort reform". And they are right, we do need tort reform. But before you can get to that step, you have to fix what is going on with the FDA. Either abolish them, or make them civilly and criminally responsible for failing to do the job they are tasked with.

Now I have a 12 year old son who is smart enough to see what is going on around him, smart enough to ask the right questions, smart enough to see through the BS, and smart enough to be worried about things and people we should "trust". How difficult is that to deal with?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join