It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IVAN is detonated!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
IVAN is detonated!
A rare look at the destructive power of a hydrogen bomb...put full screen and the volume to max.

The biggest bomb in recorded history was tested on October 30, 1961 in Novaya Zemlya, an island in the Arctic Sea. The 57MT-bomb exploded and a mushroom cloud with a height of 64km rose to the sky. It was detonated about 2-3 km above ground and left a 4 km wide crater!
edit on 15-12-2010 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Wrong URL to link

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
is this the clip from 1961? the title made me think one was just recently detonated.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ok, I fixed the link and now it works perfectly....

Sorry about that "minor" issue!

Bump thread----third line--

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by machines4200
is this the clip from 1961? the title made me think one was just recently detonated.

Yes as far as I know it was the only test for that version. Made me shiver the first time I saw it, especially 10 seconds into the explosion when you can hear the tremendous shockwave that makes the camera vibrate like crazy.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
They told the pilots that dropped this bomb they may very well not make it. They had to modify the plane, and the bomb still didn't really fit. Also it shattered windows in Finland.

The thing is it was a show bomb. It probably nearly bankrupt their military budget at the time. It's really senseless to make a bomb like that and use it in war.

I saw a nuclear bomb video that I loved. It had some really nice ambient instrumental music and it was the footage of an army base where they had soldiers in trenches on the same plane as a nuclear bomb. The shockwave and dust hits the soldiers in the face and then it has a great shot of them walking towards the mushroom cloud. Ill try to find it.

Edit: Here is a version, but not the same one. The one I'm looking for has better music and is much longer.
edit on 15-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I played it several times. I believe that it is possibly the most frightening and disturbing thing I have ever seen. If one or more is detonated here in the US, I hope I am at ground zero and vaporized so I won't have to deal with the aftermath.

Seeashrink

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You are right that it is a show bomb, and it is unlikely to ever be used in a war.....on the other hand, this was 50 years ago!! This test was less than 50 years after this technology was discovered. Imagine what improvements have been made since then! Imagine what new technologies are available. When they built this bomb, they did not have supercomputing, or computer modeling, or modern tools and materials.

If they took that 1961 technology, and assigned it to a top university team using modern technology and materials, imagine how much better and cheaper the bomb could be constructed today!

I have a feeling that Ivan was not so terrible. Who knows what ghastly surprises are lying hidden away should they be needed.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would be willing to bet 5 bucks that that's a computer generation.

This one, however, is real.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Initially they were looking for a 100 mega-ton nuke but had to scale it down due to incompatibility issues....

Here is a better video that shows the manufacturing process and the plane used to drop it:

Un*****believable and second only to an anti-matter bomb...if such a thing even exists!
edit on 15-12-2010 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah, I meant for the time.
Now we have ICBM's like the peacekeeper that can drop 8 375 kiloton warheads (each warhead the equivalent of 25 of the "little boy"/hiroshima bomb. That is 8 huge nuclear explosions from just one missile. In the pic below from a non-live run on an atoll, each line represents a nuclear bomb from one peacekeeper.

and here is the full, but unfortunately silent video of the bomb test i posted above.
www.youtube.com...#!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What was the bomb that they used in space to try to create a sort of Van Allen belt?
2nd

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by machines4200

Actually nevermind, already posted, late to the party... sorry

edit on 15-12-2010 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

and here is the full, but unfortunately silent video of the bomb test i posted above.
www.youtube.com...#!

Was that video authentic?

How come the soldiers didn't wear radioactive gear when conducting the excercise?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

www.youtube.com...#!

Was that video authentic?

How come the soldiers didn't wear radioactive gear when conducting the excercise?

I'm pretty sure the video is legit, if not it was the greatest scene from the greatest movie never made. I believe it is a declassified video. Insane though huh? It's a small nuke probably artillery.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

They didn't want them wearing protective gear, they wanted to track the effects that the tests had. One of my Great-Uncles witnessed two Atomic detonations, both at sea in the South Pacific. They stationed ships at certain intervals from the blast and insructed the seamen to stand at attention and observe the blast. Afterwards they would follow up with tests and interviews periodically. He died from cancer at age 60, but of course there was no direct correlation.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Also note the Tsar bomb was not even loaded with
the full amount of plutonium,instead they used a lead tamper
because even the Russians did not really know the full amount
of devastation it may have caused had they stuck to the original
plans.

without checking i think it was only 60-70% of what they had
in mind but they saw sense and decided it was far to risky.

still the biggest recorded yield of a thermonuclear bomb.
crazy absolutely crazy.

listen as my post echo's albeit with some degradation in quality
edit on 15/12/2010 by stealthyaroura because: for sarcasm LOL

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Tsar bomba was only 50% yield. They used Lead instead of a uranium tamper to decrease the 50-60 megaton yeild by 50%.

This bomb would absolutely wipe out an entire state. The damage is nearly total for 60-80 miles radius, and preassure forces that shattered windows were felt hundreds of miles away.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It was originally supposed to be 100 megatons, but it was too unstable.

top topics

join