It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Launch, Cuba's Answer to Wikipedia Immediately Crashes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

If you are looking for bay of pigs on a Cuban site try: El dia de la gloriosa derrota de los cochinos americanos en la bahia de los cochinos.

edit on 15-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: joke reinstated

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Okay, hehe, I'm chilled, yeah, a quote would have helped. As I said I'd tried editing an article there and was able to and you said "I doubt it", well, my feathers got a bit ruffled. No hard feelings I hope?
Peace,
J.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by internationalcriminal

Okay, hehe, I'm chilled, yeah, a quote would have helped. As I said I'd tried editing an article there and was able to and you said "I doubt it", well, my feathers got a bit ruffled. No hard feelings I hope?
Peace,
J.

Not at all. As I said, it was my bad.
Since you speak spanish.. and my translated joke fell flat after a google translation in the previous post.
How would you say: glorious defeat of american pigs in trigger fish bay day? haha. I assume that's what Castro calls the bay of pigs now. Also did you know the word that made the translation pig, most likely is a mistake and refers to a type of trigger fish?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Actually, the joke worked pretty well, I laughed at it. In fact, it was not far from what they actually say on the site. They mention at least a few times that the invasion was averted in only 72 hours by the Cuban people.
In case the poster wanting the real translation missed it due to it being on the previous page, it's "Bahia de Cochinos"

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

No, I didn't know that about the trigger fish, I always wondered why it was called the Bay of Pigs....Although in spanish the word is cochinos, which does mean pigs....just checked my dictionary, yeah also a kind of fish.

Your translation would be this:

El dia de la gloriosa derrota de los cochinos americanos en la bahia de los cochinos.

I'd probably change it to:

El dia de la gloriosa derrota de los cochinos americanos en la bahia que lleva su nombre (cochinos!)

"The day of the glorious defeat of the american pigs in the bay named after them (pigs!)"

That sounds more like Castro, lol.
edit on 15/12/2010 by internationalcriminal because: Joke edited to be funnier (IMHO)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by internationalcriminal

Haha ok excellent, thanks, joke reinstated. I pieced it together but then translating it back using google it didn't show as what I thought it was. Not that any online translators are worth a damn.

On topic though. I would definitely be interested in reading the site. I think it will be a lot of propaganda for he people, but there may be some interesting stuff intended for American readers. It seems some of Castro's recent "letters", or vlogs or whatever those things are, have been trying to reach out to curious Americans actually.
At least they seem that way to me. I've actually always been kind of interested in Castro, not in admiration so much as just curiosity and interest. He's a huge part of history already and will be forever after he is gone.

edit on 15-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I would definitely be interested in reading the site. I think it will be a lot of propaganda for he people, but there may be some interesting stuff intended for American readers.

After a cursory perusal of the site, the propaganda aspect doesn't seem to be any worse than what you'd get on an american site regarding Cuba, obviously slanted in their favour and highlighting their victories, but nothing too excessive. Obviously I don't have time to translate the whole site for you (unless you wanna pay, my rates are 0.08 euros per word, lol, semi-joking, i could use the extra income and I am a translator
), however, I will be looking through the site a bit, if I find anything interesting I'll let you know. If there's any particular topic you'd like me to look into, post a reply here.
Peace and Viva la revolucion! (the one we need to do, not the cuban disaster)
-J.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Haha.. well I'm a 25 year old American student working nearly minimum wage, which anyone can translate: means I'm broke. However, if you find anything really awesome you should translate it and post it up to further your thread here.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Will do!
Not my thread though.....
J.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Ah yeah.. just saw that. Cat hat guy.
OK well if you take the time to translate you pretty much earn the right to your own new thread.
Haha, hope I didn't just undermine you Cat hat guy (i don't wanna go back a page, i'll learn your name in due time.
)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here's a few tidbits from the page on George W Bush:

George W. Bush - EcuRed

(translated by me, I solemnly swear this is an accurate translation, for whatever that's worth)

".....Various experts have described him as "a white man who thinks he's God". He continues a long family tradition of dirty business, governmental tricks and subterfuge which began with his grandfather, Senator Prescott Bush and continued with his father, George Bush......... After the criminal attacks on the twin towers of New York on 9/11 George Bush set himself to the task of combating terrorism with more terrorism on a global scale. The attacks against Iraq and Afghanistan, with tens of thousands of civilian victims demonstrate this. He applied all possible methods of dirty warfare: secret prisons, kidnappings, extrajudicial trials, telephone espionage and kidnapping of mere suspects....."

"Bush was arrested for possession of coc aine in 1972, but the fingerprints and evidence of this arrest were erased as a special favor to his family."

Sounds much more like ATS than Wikipedia, lol. I especially like the bit about fighting terrorism with terrorism, you gotta admit, whoever wrote this has a way with words!

Peace all,
J.

MODS: I don't know if I've inserted this correctly as it's an external quote but the translation is done by me, change it if need be.

edit on 15/12/2010 by internationalcriminal because: grammar

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
I wouldn't trust anything that the Cuban Government posts online.

The truth doesn't come out of a represive government .... ever.

like ours? Yeah it works both ways.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by internationalcriminal

After the criminal attacks on the twin towers of New York on 9/11 George Bush set himself to the task of combating terrorism with more terrorism on a global scale. The attacks against Iraq and Afghanistan, with tens of thousands of civilian victims demonstrate this. He applied all possible methods of dirty warfare: secret prisons, kidnappings, extrajudicial trials, telephone espionage and kidnapping of mere suspects....."

Wow

It does indeed sound like they have copy and pasted a few ATS threads.

Actually a ATS version of wiki isn't a bad idea

top topics

<< 1   >>

join