It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Launch, Cuba's Answer to Wikipedia Immediately Crashes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

On Launch, Cuba's Answer to Wikipedia Immediately Crashes

latino.foxnews.com

Ecured.cu, the Cuban government’s answer to Wikipedia, promises to give a users knowledge “with a democratizing, not-for-profit, objective, non-Colonial” viewpoint.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I searched 10 pages for this and didn;t find it so hopefully it's not a repeat

EcuRed Cubas answer to wikipedia has just launched and immediately crashed.
The site promises to give a very different view of America with quotes such as this about George Bush

“a long family history of dirty business, tricks and government intrigue” and says he “applied all possible dirty war tricks: clandestine jails, kidnappings, extrajudicial processes, wiretapping.”

Hopefully when it manages to stay up for more then 10 minutes we can get a Spanish speaker to help us translate some of the articles, I'm sure hilarity will ensue

The actual site (not working at the moment) is here

latino.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Wow, that is amazing.

I wonder why it crashed?

Also, to the people who scold the Venezuelan and Cuban government for restricting access to Facebook and Twitter...maybe this is why? They want their own place on the internet rather than giving every last bit of information away to the colonial powers? They want to inform their own people with their own information, rather than having it done by the corrupt Wikipedia?

My, my, this turn of events is very interesting.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

I wonder why it crashed as well.

Either A) It's being hosted on a terrible server or B) There has been a deliberate attempt to crash it.

As this is a conspiracy site I'm going with B

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Zamini

I wonder why it crashed as well.

Either A) It's being hosted on a terrible server or B) There has been a deliberate attempt to crash it.

As this is a conspiracy site I'm going with B

The servers were running on Windows 98!

IRM

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Or (C) it is a ploy to give it more "credibility".

-Al

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well from this article, I guess we can guess that not many actual Cubans are going to have a chance to read it

Computers numbered 700,000 or 62 per 1,000 residents, compared with more than 160 per thousand residents in the region, and many were in government offices, health and education facilities. There is no broadband in Cuba and the relatively few Internet users in the country suffer through agonizingly long waits to open an e-mail, let alone view a photo or video. This also hampers government and business operations.

So who is it aimed towards I wonder

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
web server returns:

"(Can't contact the database server: Too many connections (localhost))"

so it is probably quite small server (database is running on same machine as webserver). Probably only problem is low limit on concurrent connections to database.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I wouldn't trust anything that the Cuban Government posts online.

The truth doesn't come out of a represive government .... ever.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

As the OP says, the site is similar to Wikipedia, so it's not posted by the government but rather by the users. I've just tried it, and was able to edit an existing article so I can vouch for this. There are some articles there by Eduardo Galeano, who is an extremely well known and respected Uruguayan writer critical of both democracy and dictatorships, you can trust him at least, I've read plenty of his books and he is most definitely not a puppet of Castro. Not that this means the cuban government won't also edit and change articles to fit their agenda, much as other governments apparently do with wikipedia. If anyone wants a particular article there translated just let me know.

-J.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by internationalcriminal

Yeah.. suuure it is.
2nd

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

The truth doesn't come out of a represive government .... ever.

Oh and why not? would you trust the American government for which has been lying for years? not to mentin i would rather not trust anything that CNN or any western posts to.

Why don't you wake up?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That's funny that it crashed!..Guess they need a bigger server. Or peddle faster!

They really don't need to do the web thing though.
They have been transmitting all the
"leaks" on their "Radio Habana" powerhouse shortwave transmitter for decades now. You don't even need a good antenna to hear it in the USA.
Just tune to the loudest signal you hear.That would be Cuba.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Are you calling me a liar? Are you fluent in Spanish? Or are you just spouting your opinion without even reading what's on the site?
Deny ignorance dude!

Read the T&C about 2nd lines, you have added nothing here with your one-liner.
edit on 15/12/2010 by internationalcriminal because: Bit about the silly "2nd line" thing.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Some people seem to be confused here, this is NOT Cuba's answer to "Wikileaks", it's their answer to "WikiPEDIA". IE, it's an online encyclopedia, not a whistleblowers site.
Hope that clears things up.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Chill dude. I should have used a quote. I was simply saying, I seriously doubt that it is edited by the people like Wikipedia is. Reason one being a lot less net users. Two being they have a dictator and live in crushing poverty.
I don't trust Wikipedia on any serious matters, I definitely wouldn't trust Castropedia.

edit on 15-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Relax!
Nope, not cofused at all.
What do you think will be in the Cuban WikiPEDIA.
I would suspect a strongly biased editorial of propaganda. Should it be suprising? Not particularly.That was my point.
"Cubapedia"
edit on 15-12-2010 by Zeptepi because: Relax!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well it's up for now, albeit very slow and I can only seem to see the front page.

One of the first links I noticed on the front page was to a site called Terrorism Made in U.S.A. in the Americas link so I guess there not going for the whole non biased thing

Edit
How do you write Bay of pigs in Spanish?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Good grief now its back down.

Has anyone got an old 486 that they can lend Cuba?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

It's "Bahia de Cochinos"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join