It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: Is Julian Assange a 'journalist or terrorist'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

CNN: Is Julian Assange a 'journalist or terrorist'?

www.rawstory.com

In the segment that followed, featuring an interview with former CIA analyst Ray McGovern, CNN's on-screen graphics wondered whether Assange is a "journalist or terrorist."

To be clear: that's one of America's major news networks suggesting that it's debatable whether or not funneling sensitive information to the press equates one with those who commit shocking acts of violence against civilians.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Not to be outdone with Faux news pundits suggesting Assange should be "executed" under the ever-treasonous 'Espionage Act', the CorpoNews Network, or CNN, has begun its propaganda towards Assange as well, it would appear.

A Terrorist? Is there anyone out there anymore opposing our draconian "leaders" that these people will not label a 'terrorist'?

Could this be a case of sour grapes from Mr. Assange walking out of an interview with them not long ago?

Or are they merely trying to cover their bosses and their own butts in all of this by jumping on the bandwagon to try and demonize Assange and wikileaks?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Journalist.

I know all the talk about wikileaks being CIA but then I cannot bring myself to believe that.

He is releasing info that is detrimental to the US government and that in my books is a great thing. They promise transparency and give none. Then someone does it for them and they want him in jail?

He should be free and able to release as many documents as he likes.

He is doing something that the incompetent government cannot do for themselves.

He's a hero in my books.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I read somewhere that this "so called" top secret, dangerous documents were on a server that 500,000 people freely acces...
If that's true then it's pretty hard to say releasing them is a terrorist act..

That's apart from the fact that MSM also released them...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Technically speaking, Mr. A needs to apply demands with the pressure his actions create; if he is to earn the genuine terrorist moniker. Of course they have already tacked on rapist right? We know how this works though,
his foes will try to pin countless things on him until one or a couple concepts finally stick. We can watch politics and see the formula for a long term public perception manipulation... He is in a never ending mine field now, he would be smart to gather MANY agents that can execute certain aspects remotely to accomplish each
project. Good-luck to him
edit on 15-12-2010 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
If ANYONE who opens his mouth and speak, excercising the basic freedom of speech, then ALL humans are terrorists, including TPTB themselves.

Please lock us all up and throw away the key to the far flung corners of the Universe then.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Someone should tell CNN that Julian Assange is doing their job.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Maybe it's a new definition of terrorism..
Embarrassing the Government=Terrorism..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
"He's a terrorist" is the new "he's a communist."
Always some lame fear factor.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
He is neither. What is he then?
He is doing what other folks including many on here say that they would do if they were in that positiion. But never do. He isn't a journalist simply because he has no former training as such. He is not a terrorist either although the US government scum may wish for the world to think of him as such.
He IS a man who is tired of big gov & big bro pushing around the little folk and stood up then actually did something about it. Good for him I say, and I support him.

As others have said as well, I find it odd, very odd that someone with the rank of Bradley Manning could have downloaded then uploaded all of that classified information for one reason. In my experience of working for the gov I have never seen any type of State Department information readily avalible on an ARMY system. It simply does not happen nor can it be proven to have happened either. Unless of course "they" manufacture some evidence to the contrary.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
he must be a journalist for posting the cables on the internet.

If he is a terrorist, the all the MSM that are posting the cables online and in print are also terrorists!
And the MSM dont need an extradition order to bring them to court.
They are doing it on American soil!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Maybe it's a new definition of terrorism..
Embarrassing the Government=Terrorism..

No doubt. I always thought terrorism meant conducting violent acts in an attempt to destabilize a government/organization, or at least that's what pre-9/11 dictionaries claimed it meant, but I guess they were a little off

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I think he is a journalist. He is more of a journalist than we have seen in 40 years.
Trust me, this guy is a journalist. The people you see on fox news, they are tv show hosts. I hate that 24 hour news stations have programs that aren't news, where the host openly expresses bias and opinion, but they don't put up a disclaimer to differentiate. People like Glen Beck just sit there between the news in hopes that viewers will buy into it as fact because of the association and a lot of people do.

Those shows shouldn't even be allowed to do that.
The twenty four hour news station has destroyed journalism.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I think he is a journalist. He is more of a journalist than we have seen in 40 years.

I could not have said it better myself.

He is a journalist.

For those who think you have to have a "degree" to be a journalist - WRONG! My spouse has a degree in physics and serves as a stringer on the local paper.

Writing stories and publishing news is what makes a journalist not some idiot degree.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I couldnt beleive the first time i heard him and wikileaks labelled a terrorist. To compare what he is doing to suicide bombers, religious and political extremist's is a joke and another smear campaign against him.

Although there is fear created by this aligation, as most should know there are many laws in regard to terrorist organisations.
Some include, being apart of, supporting, funding, assisting etc etc.

What if they are labelled information terrorists or alike, what if i make a $50 donation and then months later i get a knock at the door and have to face charges of funding terrorism. The same goes for signing a petition or even offering my help in some way.

In my opinion they are far from a terrorist organisation.

Also i came across this link in another thread and wanted to share, its a great documentry... strike that, an excellent documentary on Assange and wikileaks, enjoy

Inside Wikileaks

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Julian Assange a terrorist? Is he going to strap documents to his chest and threaten to blow himself up on an airline? Is his organization planting "Roadside Documents"? Did he acquire IED's, "Improvised Explosive Documents"? This is laughable.

There was the "Call of Transparency" and the call was answered by none other than one man, Julian Assange.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
they should really ask whether CNN journalism objective is to terrorize people or to inform people

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well lets see...Considering that in 2001 the US state department preferred this definition of terrorism:

"Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant* targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience."

Then i guess the answer would be no to terrorism by that definition.

However, when you look at the elements of journalism as defined by

www.journalism.org...

you find it not a bad fit

1. Journalism's first obligation is to the truth.
2. Its first loyalty is to citizens.
3. Its essence is a discipline of verification.
4. Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover.
5. It must serve as an independent monitor of power.
6. It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise.
7. It must strive to make the significant interesting and relevant.
8. It must keep the news comprehensive and proportional.
9. Its practitioners must be allowed to exercise their personal conscience.

Call me crazy but I think he's a journalist. Could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Pshh.. you're crazy.

Seriously though. Take that argument to the courthouse steps.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
As Ron Paul eloquently stated, that a person simply publishing any info, is not a terrorist. in this case Assange would be labeled the " middle man ". Why shoot the messenger? If anyone was to be judicially punished, it would be those responsible for the theft of the documents. To suggest Assange is a Terrorist for simply identifying faults of respective governments, thats like saying Katie Couric is a terrorist and shouldn't be held accountable for her blatant lies on a nightly basis!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join