It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Cool if I don't believe in God

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

lol I just defend Metal too that's all, I don't expect anyone here to know me much, I am but maybe a month old posting here.

No problem mate...I am a older metalhead myself back in the day, but my bands for growing my hair long and wearing too much black was all about metallica and iron maiden. I simply don't know any metal that is going on now adays...I mean, there is some good alt/punk rock of course, like good charlotte, rammstein, etc..but metal? meh...thats a dead puppy beyond some ageing bands trying to push the good ole days far past its expiration date.

Metal-Heads for Christ, I like that analogy.

It was a exceptionally failed attempt in the 80s..short lived and ultimately disasterous.

Perhaps x-ian metal would have done better if their starting horse was not stryper..total poof sad band that was cheesier than a block of chedder

Jars of clay has some redeeming value,

ut frankly, if you want good "christian" music, you have to step out of rock overall and pick some johnny cash

and my favorite song (of the year anyhow) is actually a christian song (remake).

Some culture that christianity brings on is very cool. Cathedrals are cool..I think your losing focus overall on your grump against atheist stance and until you stop being offended, then you may never hear the actual argument we make.
We do not want faith legislated...we do not believe in God, this does not mean we must eliminate religion..just that it needs to be kept in the homes and churches...the same feeling a atheist gets seeing favor towards religion would be if a christian seen favor given to say...islam only. You would be up in arms, then demanding they not start giving "koran time" in school, or giving special tax favors to mosques only..

and frankly...it may end up just like that if islam keeps spreading.

Its not about being cool..its about getting things in their place. Render unto caesar and whatnot.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

oh gawd why you have to pull those out on me ? you know what you are doing that's for sure... I look at the real metal I choose to listen to as bringing me closer to God because I actually took in the lyrics and debated them, so you can look at it like a reverse psychology kinda thing.

and it works, I am not my only proof you know, all my friends I grew up with believe.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

oh gawd why you have to pull those out on me ? you know what you are doing that's for sure... I look at the real metal I choose to listen to as bringing me closer to God because I actually took in the lyrics and debated them, so you can look at it like a reverse psychology kinda thing.

and it works, I am not my only proof you know, all my friends I grew up with believe.

Dude, all my old metalhead friends from many years back are now christian..and frankly they were back then also, just pretended to be on the flip side

They did the horns sign, said they were satanic, etc..I called them nonsense then, they thought I was weird for seeing the satanic thing as just completely stupid...

Of course, once the uniqueness of being the bad kid wore off, they suddenly found christ and became saved, and now are on the opposite end, calling themselves saved, how they were a minion of hell and metal was ruining them...

They were a twit then, they are a twit now.,,both sides simply looking for some supernatural element in their life so they felt powerful and in control in a world that was generally indifferent to their existance.

no need for reverse psychology or campaigns to "save" the youngins from devil music...just give em time, they grow bored of it and will flip.
edit on 15-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
if they want to destroy God and turn us all into robot consumers then they need to push God, make any sense ?

but the problem with pushing God is you are pushing the "Truth" and they couldn't have all these people waking up from their sleep now.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

if they want to destroy God and turn us all into robot consumers then they need to push God, make any sense ?

no

but the problem with pushing God is you are pushing the "Truth" and they couldn't have all these people waking up from their sleep now.

Since the dawning of civilization, God, in the neat form of religion, has been pushed hard on the population. Religion is a control that is required in society. Police cannot be everywhere, and so in a land of savages, you must implant a control..in the case of religion, a space ghost that watches everything you do and will become quite cross with you if you break laws...

This latest era is seeing something unique..people are starting to step away from religion as a control measure. initially, even that was used as a control measure (Stalin, Mao, etc), but that was stamped out. Now people are walking away from religion..the ancient control of society, to find instead personal connections and individualism. Principles and morality set upon simple common sense and being civil.
This is the new era..this is, in my opinion, closer to a truth of the universe verses the crushing weight of established religions and rules of deitys and how they are making a good and bad person list.

Society remains pushing religion. Society still requires religion because even though we have tons of gadgets, many are still savages requiring a invisible boogieman ready to bite them if they do wrong. Some people really would do wrong if they didn't fear a ghost watching them...and so, for now, religion has its place.

It is the hope of atheists that over time, we progress past this ancient control method, cast aside religion in favor of science, logic, reason, wisdom, and personal spiritual awareness.

until then..meh..the internet is meant for the battle of wits.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

yes certainly appears to be a Pro religion agenda here!. OP Yes I am cool for being Agnostic & no I ain't no teen but I will take the compliment! lol

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am athiest because I know science will always prevail. for example, Astronomy shatters any type of religion (Astronomy, shows are insignifcance on an uncomprehensible scale). Physics is stronger than god ( if one were to read a physics book, ask yourself "hmmm why doesnt bible/quran/whaterver say anything about this?). Biology kicks ass and makes you realize your not that diffrent from the "inferior" animals around you (DNA, evolution, cells, do i need to say more?). I do agree with you about how some ppl say their athiest because it "looks cool" but thats also with religion. when i lived in a small podunk town for a year, I said I was a christian so that I would fit in with the kids and not get picked on. so in reality their are sillly willies everywhere.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Everything you say targeted at those who don't believe in god, could just as easily be said of those who do believe in a god. If having a better grasp on reality makes someone feel cool, then who cares? The title to your most doesn't even make sense or in my opinion is totally wrong in the first place. Are these posts the only way you can think of for opposing non-theistic views? I think you are doing your own argument more harm than any of us are...

Young people and teenagers think a lot of things make them cool or uncool because they spend so much time thinking about nonsense, with religion hardly being the main focus of someone being cool or not. I don't remember very many arguments in school rating a persons popularity level and such based on religion. If anything I think more religious people were considered "cool" or tended to be cliquey, and those without theistic beliefs were mostly considered outsiders on the fringe. Your argument is a non issue.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Hey look, more ad hominem trolling against atheists using straw man arguments. That's so original that's I've never seen it before

[/sarcasm]

It makes me look tough online and among my peers because well it's a fashion you know...

Tough? Actually, it doesn't make me look tough, though it does make my life tough sometimes. It's hard to be an atheist where I live, especially when the majority of my family and friends are religious.

So that's the first bit of straw man here.

I wear it on my sleeve proudly even if I have never read the bible,

I've read it thrice. Well, I read it cover-to-cover thrice. I've probably read it more times based on reading individuals passages out of order.

So again, a straw man. Hell, famous atheist and brilliant author Isaac Asimov released his own guide to the book.

All of my facts are true because I got them from someone else that sounded like they really knew what they were talking about.

You've leveled this accusation before without really justifying it. Many people on here have heard my testimonial about how it took me about a year of discovery and thought to decide upon atheism. I say 'about' because I didn't really keep track of exactly when I started doubting and exactly when I accepted my disbelief. It was more of a subtle process.

I talked to many different religious leaders, missionaries, etc. I visited all sorts of religious ceremonies.

I never really formulated this opinion on my own but in fact it was fed to me.

Again with the straw man. Please, provide backing for this claim that atheists don't formulate their own opinion.

Are you cool for not believing in God ?

Which one? I mean, it's irrelevant. I simply don't believe in any of them. It's neither cool nor uncool, it simply is.

Anyway, this is a bit of a waste of a thread. It's spiteful and petty and shows a clear bigoted disdain against those who happen to not accept your particular lack of reasoning.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

...I can no more destroy god than I can destroy (spins wheel of fictional characters) Frodo Baggins.

What "truth"? I mean, you keep making these lofty claims from upon your high horse and I've yet to see you put forth any reasoning for any of your claims, let alone evidence

But I guess it's all the stupid atheists thinking they're so cool.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Cosmic_Artifact,

Me thinks "you is all shook up" like ole Elvis. What a way to go. I'll bet one day you'll be all shook up with a great surprise, you'll have to wait on that one. Just for fun for,for fun.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

that Madnessinmysoul guy has got to go though seriously, he disassembles every freaking word you say like if you start your post by saying (the) he goes off into this long quotation and stuff about what the word "the" means, not even remotely related to the topic. Yet his posts get to remain even when complained about being off-topic.

Oh what nonsense.
I'm guessing you found it hard to understand Madness's posts when you refused to read them, so you had to make up a straw-man to attack him.

You probably should google "straw-man".

He breaks up posts when he's responding to make it clear what he's responding to. It's a common technique amongst the more thoughtful posters. He's patient. Unlike some of the "Christians" online he never uses threats of hell and judgement. He knows I'm a theist and has never belittled me or any other theist for that, so I don't know why you are posting about him in your pathetic "hate atheists" thread.

Anyway, if you were a real Christian, you'd be practicing the teachings of Christ instead of playing the "terrier gone rabid" and putting people off Christianity.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
I'm guessing you found it hard to understand Madness's posts

Just found that a bit amusing

typically it would be hard to understand madness posts...else it wouldn't be madness..

nevermind

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I self censor and choose to stop reading or not read at all what someone posts if I do not agree...

If I may borrow a suitable illustration from Oz Weatherman:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.. Very few people switch religions to "look cool". All the evidence I have seen points to people doing their own independent research and choosing the religion (or lack there of) depending on what viewpoint reconciles with their personal beliefs.

What gives you the right to take a stab at us through sarcasm? You believe in a book that has been changed constantly throughout history, by many different people, and quote it as truth, calling those who don't believe ignorant... Whilst a majority of atheist, agnostics, and deists, look to modern science which can actually be proven.

No, people don't do it to be cool, some people just require more than a silly book that may have been factual in the beginning but has been changed and revised so many times that the facts are all but lost, it is like playing that telephone game, where one person whispers in another's ear, they go down a line, and at the end the message is crazily skewed... now take that times hundreds of years... yeah.

Not to mention it could very well be completely misinterpreted, the ancient alien theory ties in perfect with religion if you factor in the possibility of metaphors... a flying chariot most likely means some sort of aircraft... not an actual chariot with flying horses at the helm.

Many people don't have any problem with the existence of a god, but the silly religions across this planet. I myself believe in a supreme architect, a creator if you will, but I find it hard to believe that this being had a personal hand in the creation of humans, and little vested interest in them. Has it occurred to you that every major religion was formed before we knew what a galaxy was, much less the expanse of the universe? Your religion assumes that us humans are the center of everything (even God and Satan!).

Most are not rejecting the idea of a God, but the man made religions that are backed up by zero factual evidence.

I am a young male, 22 years of age to be exact, and I have done countless hours of research into the subject (Including reading the bible), am I some ignorant, approval seeking, mindless drone? Maybe I am, simply because I refuse to believe what is essentially word of mouth passed down for thousands of years... or more likely I am a free thinking intelligent man, who uses the resources available to myself to make an educated decision... sounds like you are just throwing a fit because more than often the conclusion that educated people come up with doesn't fit in with your entirely faith-based belief system.

"The only good thing to come from religion is the music" - George Carlin

And since metal has been mentioned in this thread a bunch, I will leave you with this amazing piece by Suicide Silence:

Lyrics:

How much must I curse your name
And put your beliefs to shame
Before you prove yourself
And end this life?

End this life

And I’ll say a #ing prayer
Because I know it won’t be answered

Where is your god? (2x)
Where is your #ing god?

And even though I don't believe in you
I pray for the day (2x)
That you end this life

So please
Take me
Away

I want the hand of god
To come and strike me down (2x)

Where is your god? (2x)
Where is your #ing god?

For all the prayers that go unanswered (2x)
Why do you think that is?
For the families that waste their time
Open your eyes

And all your prayers will go
Unanswered
Why do you think that is?
For the families that waste their time
Open your #ing eyes

Favorite stanza bolded for emphasis.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Not by my standards,

To be cool you have to sit on ice, swim in a frozen lake or live in a freezer.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

for the record and those in this thread...

I am a person who believes in Evolution and I also believe in God.

I do not see anything wrong with my stance so please keep the pinning (whatever one wishes) off my sleeve.

it is better to believe...

edit on 12/15/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

I self censor and choose to stop reading or not read at all what someone posts if I do not agree...

If I may borrow a suitable illustration from Oz Weatherman:

I was speaking of a specific person (which we are not allowed to do btw) who may even be in this very thread... I decided to stop reading his rhetoric but I still keep an open mind always, I read alot of peoples posts but there are so many people here one has to choose in their own opinion who is posting slander and insults then from there make the choice if their posts are worthy of reading. So much going on here I doubt everyone has time for everyone else you know, everyone has their own method...

Birds of a feather flock together !

edit on 12/15/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Kailassa

for the record and those in this thread, I am a person who believes in Evolution and I also believe in God.
I do not see anything wrong with my stance so please keep the pinning (whatever you wish) off my sleeve.
it is better to believe...

I'm not pinning anything on your sleeve.
You're doing that well enough without my help.

Why is it better to believe?
In my opinion it's better to know, or to admit one does not know, and to acknowledge the evidence that leads to the inbetweens of probably, possibly, and unlikely.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Killface

the Vox has to go, no doubt...

I like all those potential voters in the back drop there, even though that is a small show... surely they are getting a huge dose of reverse psychology, if they actually choose to 'think' about lyrics.

I wonder why the majority of re-discoverers of their faith happen to be Bikers/Metal Heads/People who have lost loved ones/People who have experienced hardship/People who reach maturity/ ect ?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join