It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

S & F--great find.
As many here have considered that we are part of a vast multiverse, it's so encouraging to find that there may indeed be signatures & evidence of this. Will be following this recent discovery in earnest.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

No the scale post was not for you, it was for a different poster.

I get you and understand what you are saying. Everything is the universe, and we just found another part of it, I get it.

What do you think about parallel universes? Should we eliminate the parallel in it?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

You asked..

Your supposed belief about the origins of the word "universe" is not correct. "Universe" has always refereed to EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING by definition is ONE THING OF MANY PARTS. It has nothing to do with someone being egocentric. It is a philosophical name for ALL THAT IS. There is nothing "limited" about it like you claim. The word "universe" is infinite by definition because it includes EVERYTHING.

Don't you understand that??

And the answer is Yes I do. That was shown in my words.. "everything we know and don't know". The concept of Infinite is part of the understanding for the concept of Uni-verse. But it has one flaw in it's general usage...

Everything we humans considered so far as possibly being "The Universe", could well be within a closed system. One of many.

Hence our usage of the word Universe to describe our closed system is a misnomer. And so the word would then step up a notch, so to speak, to describe the rest all of the closed systems in existence.

And Yes the word Universe is perfectly fine to use as a descriptor for a Multiverse, for it is as you say.. including everything known and unknown.

And Yes mate it is egocentric, because we have believed that we are the centre of The Universe and its only inhabitants created by a Supreme Being.. whereas this supreme being may well turn out to be one of many billions of others..... if you get my drift.

Lastly, what we have found is evidence for External somethings that are not within The Universe we know.. which don't fit our generalised view of Universe.

edit on 15-12-2010 by Tayesin because: Coz I am silly

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
Cool, other Universe... well now it would be called a Multiverse huh? Hmm, if its true, I think it would be extremely arrogant to think we're alone.

If this is the case, then what do we call the housing the multiverses? Is there something housing that?

It occurred to me a while back that many things surrounding us act in the same way. Forgive me here if I misspeak as I'm not all that strong in science, but atoms have protons, electrons, and nuetrons that rotate around them. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of other stuff so I'll skip ahead. Similarly, planets have moons floating around them. Stars have planets floating around them in the same pattern (solar systems). Solar systems float around a black hole (galaxies) in a similar fashion. Whose to say Universes don't float around something larger in similar fashion? What if it just keeps going up and up and up. Perhaps we are merely living in something similar to a proton resting on something's finger nail.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Any thoughts on how this affects religion? Why wasn't any of these magnificent discoveries mentioned in the Bible? I mean why isn't here any mention of other stars, planets, galaxies, multiverses being created in Genesis? Surely God had to create everything else right? So many questions...

Or was it just that it was unknown to man at that time and didn't exist, so it wasn't written?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

Protons and neutrons are in the nucleus. Electrons move outside of them.

I thought that it was proven a while ago that the universe had no curve to it. If it had a curve, time travel would be an easier option. If we were to be in a bubble you would think there would be a curve to our portion of the universe.

I think the space that produces these bubbles should be the universe, that would make sense. And if there is something that is holding the bubbles then what is that being held in?

Kind of a heady topic.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
reply to post by SpaceJ

It doesn't matter if they have the same laws or not. They are all part of ONE WHOLE. All part of EVERYTHING. It's the UNIVERSE. THE ALL. Everything we will ever see or witness, and not see or witness, are a part of THE ALL, THE UNIVERSE. There is no such thing as "other universes", those "others" are a part of the whole. The whole is the universe, and the parts are not universes.

Nothing is greater than "the universe". There is nothing outside of "the universe". The "universe" includes everything inside and everything outside, EVERYTHING, ALL, THE WHOLE.

You can't name the parts of the whole "universes", the whole is the only universe.

It is ridiculous that you and others don't understand this.
edit on 15-12-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

Ahh, now i understand so what you are saying is that universe means more then 1? so therefore there are probably millions of universes.

Thanks man i wasnt really quite sure of what the hell was going on in this thread

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
Or was it just that it was unknown to man at that time and didn't exist, so it wasn't written?

Exactly.

Religion helps explain things that we had no idea about. Now that we are beginning to grasp these things it eliminates the needs for useless explanations.

Science trumps religion.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Haha, as you can see I really need to get reacquainted with science. Forgive me for that. But a quick question, if our universe has no curves than how is it a bubble? Isn't that just another name for a sphere? or is it this black mass, sort of like a galaxy, that sort of expands and expands within this "universe" (referencing the space that holds the bubbles as universe)?

For instance, is it sort of like putting a whole bunch of white paper down and drawing several black circles around the paper, then deciding to expand and expand? If that is the case, then wouldn't that mean that really the black crap that we call space would eventually occupy the entire universe, thus making the notion of multiple universes moot as they are just different parts of the same universe destined to meet once the black matter expands far enough?

I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about I just find this really intriguing.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I think the term bubble/bubbleverse as it is meant here, is more metaphorical than anything. It's the idea that many different worlds float around in some other space, like how bubbles float through the air. I don't know that it means the actual shape of the "bubble" is actually spherical. There's many theories on that, some say it's flat, spherical, horn shaped, etc. And flat doesn't mean flat like a piece of paper, it more or less means smooth, another figurative thing.
edit on 12/15/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I'm not too sure. Maybe the membrane theory would better explain it. I have heard many of times that the universe has no curves in it, but maybe they are using the work bubble figuratively, maybe they just mean our section.

If space is expanding there could not possibly be an end to it because what would be past it? If it is accelerating at the speed of light then we could not reach it anyway unless we can bend space, which could be possible.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Yes indeed!

I relate the experiences that we have in our dreams is travel through various realms (time traveling and parallel universes)...

As you stated, there are different universes for every possible outcome in our lives, and thats why I might dream that I'm back in the Marines, or high school, or 7 yrs old living in Wichita KS again.. Time traveling.We also 'visit' other outcomes that we hadn't lived out in this universe..........

The known universe is incredibly too vast, let alone the unknown universe and other parallel universes for us not to understand that our mind may very well be a wormhole in which we get the chance to experience those places. We are, after all, made up of star stuff and apart of EVERYTHING that is out there

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Star for your post!

Yes,I think you are correct. I am convinced that since we are all made up of the stars, then we all are apart of everyhting in the all of the universes...our mind is more than likely the portal (wormhole) that we are able to experience those places that we would never survive the trip to.....

I think about the movie 'Contact' with Jodie Foster.....she is on the jump seat and explores other galaxies.....to her, she is gone hours if not days...but back at SETI, she was only gone for 2 mins....the same as our dreams....wormholes affect time.............

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Some one, for the love of god explain it to me. I have never been able to wrap my mind around this "more than one universe" theory. Quite frankly, I find it ridiculous. I could understand more than one dimension, but more than one universe? C'mon! I don't know where science got this conclusion, but the ONLY was more than one universe exists, is if all the others have end points...boundaries. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that exists throughout, is space; i.e emptiness! The total of what that space is filled with is the universe. There cannot be more than one...unless space ends and another begins; the idea even sounds foolish. Everything in this space is part of the universe, there is no...1 universe here, another 1 over yonder. No, everything in this emptiness makes up the, and only universe. How can there be more than one? I've been trying to understand that theory for ages. Any one care to explain it to me?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
What we see is just certain frequencies of energy (strings) interacting with other frequencies of energy(light). If energy is information(though I could be wrong on this) determined by the frequencies, then what we perceive as reality could merely just be "a certain consciousness" interpreting a bunch of "letters" inscribed on a 2-D surface(holographic universe theory), just like the matrix.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Wow. Universes that existed before they were created by a big bang of nothing into something. These scientists are really grasping at straws aye!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HexagonSun

Well, actually, you can have more than one Everything. And some Everythings' are bigger than other.
Imagine you draw a circle. And then with an infinitely thin pencil you draw lines from the center of the circle to the edge. After you are done you have an ifinite number of lines within the circle. However, if you continue these lines further than the edge of the circle you will notice there are spaces between them. So how is it possible that the lines are infinite, but there is space between them? It's just that, if you continue the lines evenly and you draw another, bigger circle, the infinite number of lines in the original circle aren't in the bigger one.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
Why do they release info like this just before 2012, Aliens are up next......This is the info that has been hidden from us for decades.

Probably because they have just discovered it?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Why does this have to be apart of some conspiracy. Can't it be that these are scientists and astronomers simply discovering new possibilities in the universe around us? I'm sure it's not apart of some conspiracy to eventually reveal information about aliens. We are only in our infancy when it comes to learning about the universe, so this really is exciting.
edit on 16-12-2010 by nicknack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
reply to post by SpaceJ

It doesn't matter if they have the same laws or not. They are all part of ONE WHOLE. All part of EVERYTHING. It's the UNIVERSE. THE ALL. Everything we will ever see or witness, and not see or witness, are a part of THE ALL, THE UNIVERSE. There is no such thing as "other universes", those "others" are a part of the whole. The whole is the universe, and the parts are not universes.

Agreed g0p!

I think we need to redefine and expand what the universe actually is. We may be thinking of it in a far too localised fashion.

IRM

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join