It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting of man holding water nozzle angers family

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This kind of thing happens when we have too many Highly Trained Combat Types, working for our police depts.
They shoot first and worry about it later, I know some I was in the ar*y and I have seen a lot of trained military in most of the officers I see on the streets these days, I can see them a mile away.
Its hard to turn off military combat training ,and the Government doesn't really want them too, they want their laws to be enforced, and to be safe in our homes and streets.
While I cant fault them for wanting to make us safer I fault them for the safe at all costs mentality, which is costing ALL OF US our rights, a little at a time as well as some of us our lives.
Historically this sounds familiar,Ger*ans !!! in 1933 did similar things on their way to a total dictatorship.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
reply to post by Xcathdra

I think you and I are both on the same page as far as this incident goes.

Although we differ on policies, I don't have anything more to add that I haven't already said. Good day, sir

edit on 15-12-2010 by janon because: (no reason given)

I think so as well.. This is a goofy situation, with a number of differing opinions baed on various backgrounds. I am cuious how this will go.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by eugenewoods2
This kind of thing happens when we have too many Highly Trained Combat Types, working for our police depts.
They shoot first and worry about it later, I know some I was in the ar*y and I have seen a lot of trained military in most of the officers I see on the streets these days, I can see them a mile away.
Its hard to turn off military combat training ,and the Government doesn't really want them too, they want their laws to be enforced, and to be safe in our homes and streets.
While I cant fault them for wanting to make us safer I fault them for the safe at all costs mentality, which is costing ALL OF US our rights, a little at a time as well as some of us our lives.
Historically this sounds familiar,Ger*ans !!! in 1933 did similar things on their way to a total dictatorship.

I didnt realize you knew the officers personally. What branches of the military were they in, what was their MOS and when were they discharged?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here is the latest news clip video on this story:

Such a sad case, no matter how it pans out.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

That is interesting and answer a few of the questions I had. Not looking very good for the police.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Just keep in mind the validity of the relatives claims have not been confirmed yet. They still have not asked the family if they were present when this occured, or how they found out about it.

Let the investigations run their course.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

It appears it angered more than just the family...

Not surprised.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Damn, so close to where I live and this is happening? I just hope they don't drive by at night by my home or else I could be next.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I can understand that happening, Americans.....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
the guy was drunk and was in imaginary land, he probably thought he was a special forces operative capturing osama bin laden and rescuing hostages.

he was so drunk he was in fantasy mode and he was in the privacy of his own backyard.

i don't think that's reason to execute a guy in barrage of gunfire

i blame the neighbours, who've probably watched to many movies. guaranteed these neighbours where 100 ft away peaking from behind their curtains across the street in an apartment building and turned a drunk playing with a garden nozzle and escalated it into a life and death armed madman on the loose 9-11 emergency call.

these people are the worst scum on the earth, they are so paranoid and evil, they call the police with the intention and hope of this outcome and then cry crocodile tears and say poor guy, he's dead.

edit on 15-12-2010 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

As tragic as this is, and my heart truly goes out to the family, this guy wasn't completely innocen.

He was so wasted, the 911 caller thought he was suffering from cerebral palsy. Now I'm no one to judge, but even I have never been THAT wasted, especially in broad daylight, and my partying capabilities are a local legend. He was wasted beyond belief in the middle of the day, and was trespassing on property that he did not own, or was invited to be on. He clearly wasn't sitting there meditating while holding his garden hose to water his lawn. Believe me I absolutely hate to hear stories like this around the holidays, christmas and new years will never be the same for that poor family. But, if you put yourself in the cops shoes, if you show up to an "armed" suspect who doesn't live at the property he is sitting on, then he points something that resembles a firearm at you or your partner, yoou're not going to wait to see what he does. I'm sure they tried to talk to him, but at that stage of intoxication, speech probably wasn't going to give him any credibility, nor lessen the cops tension.

Sad thing is, this guy clearly had a major drinking problem, and that in my opinion is what got him killed. If it wasn't the police, he may have fell downt the stairs or been hit by a car if he was routinely in a drunken stupor

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
What an unfortunate event. For the person who said the military does not shoot unless fired upon....tell that to us in iraq. We had guys coming at us in a truck with ak47s. You think we waited until they shot first? No sir, driver is out before he can ever see anything ooh rah. Love how people judge these guys when you have not been in that situation. You don't have time to sort out scenarios, by that time yor partner is dead. You have to react and the officers here did an excellent job. Ill bet nobody in that county points s..t at them again.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

The officers on scene have no idea what this guy has in his hand, what his mental state is, his intentions. If the guys appears intoxicated or ALOC (altered level of conscious) and appears to be in one area, then yeah these officers did their job by attempting to contain, observeing the individual, while remaining out of sight so as not to set this guy off on the off chance he is suffering from a mental / drug / substance induced altered state.

lol..."we don't know what it is he's holding...kinda looks like a gun right? Hmmm...take him out, that's the best choice. Yes...definitely..."

What a bunch of morons...
edit on 16-12-2010 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Even if the guy did have a gun instead of what he was holding, the police shouldn't have shot him in a vital area that they knew was going to kill him.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Boy, am I glad I went through training to tell the difference between a water hose and a gun.
Are those children throwing water balloons at each other? Nope, must be grenades. Take em out.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Could you at minimum see this as an over application of force? If the officers felt like they were in that much danger why not fire a pistol round or two in the region (lower body if he's seated)? The original source indicates a total of 8 rounds were fired, 2 from the shotgun, 6 from the handgun. Without sure knowledge he was armed, I feel like the officers possibly over applied their available force. I am however not saying the officers didn't have a right to fire a round or two in the area to warn the individual.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Uh-oh...Looks like this case may be developing into something more than originally predicted...

Standard operating procedure not followed?

Long Beach police chief admits officers never identified themselves to man they shot

Long Beach’s police chief has admitted that his officers never identified themselves before they shot and killed a man Sunday. The victim was sitting on a friend’s front porch.

The police chief said two officers opened fire on 35-year-old Douglas Zerby after they thought he pointed a gun at them. Zerby had been holding a water nozzle with a pistol grip.

Full story:

www.scpr.org...

edit on 16-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: correct link

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
If... IF!!!... police use a preemptive strike, they should be required to use rubber bullets to cripple or daze the target. There is no reason or excuse to open fire on someone who has caused virtually no harm or threat.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join