It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans need guns? Rip UP the Second Amendment, problem solved.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Marijuana is illegal yet a majority of people smoke it. And we pay for people to sit in jail because of it.

They make firearms illegal. A majority will still have them, and we'll pay for more "criminals" to sit in jail simply because they possessed a gun. There are to many reasons to have guns, many more than there are reasons not to. You could go live in some communist country, you sound like you would agree with their laws. Or you could wait in the US, we'll be there soon enough.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Does it not ever sadden you that that is the reality of your society? Regardless of what you hear in the media about crime in the UK I can comfortably go a run a night in a city without fear that I will be stabbed and I know that lots of people are the same. In the UK you just don’t go into a particular housing estate (not that you would want to) and your relatively safe. The only real every day danger is outside clubs at night, but my experience has been that the police are wise to that and protect the majority of people adequately. Now yeah I have had the odd punch to the face outside a pub, but i can look after myself without the need for a weapon

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

It does sadden me actually.

What we must remember is that human beings are animals. You can't control them. You can't prevent human behavior. All you can do is mitigate for the worst circumstances, and hope for the best.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by silo13

I don’t have a car

I don’t have a Swimming pool.

OR A GUN!!!!

Environmentalists are going to kill us all anyway.

also, you are a perfect example of why the right to freedom of speech should be heavily regulated, just because you have a right doesn’t make it righteous.

edit on 14-12-2010 by kevinunknown because: (no reason given)

So now you want to spit on the first amendment too? That's just great.

If we could magically eliminate all the weapons in the world we could all hold hands and sing kumbaya. I don't think that's going to happen, so I think self defense is the number one reason I should have the right to own a gun. I'm sure no criminals have guns in the UK.

Katrina was a perfect example where the system broke down and the criminals were the ones who had the guns.

I didn't know they had the internet in caves. Actually I'm sure it must be free wi-fi.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I think the biggest problem people here have with your opinions is that you want the government to police every aspect of life that isn't perfect. That mindset will get you into a dictatorship quite rapidly I am afraid. People need to be able to make choices and live by their actions. The only way we as a race can grow. If I wanted to kill you, I could do it with a pencil. I respect life too much to do that. But I respect the life of my family and friends as well. threaten them, and you will find yourself on the pointy end. Simple as that.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
People in the US like to own guns, i bet people in Scotland would too if they didn't allow the right to be taken away.
Just because someone has a firearm doesn't mean they fear their fellow man at all. They just want to be able to protect themselves or a loved one. Here in the US we have lots of land, public hunting land and shooting ranges for a hobby.

This is a never ending topic, unless you feel like arguing non-stop.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel

What most dont understand about our right to bear arms is that its not to hunt, or even really to protect ourselves from others, back when it was written that was a given.......its to protect ourselves from exactly what is happening today....the government running wild. The only difference is back then just rifles put us on an even playing field with our wannabe masters.....today not only should guns be legal, but so should gernades, rocket launchers, whatever. Before anyone says that the world would end if people had them........they already do, but they are illegal so its just the crimanals that have them

Id like to add the mexican drug cartels really do have rocket launchers, grenades, even submarines, they are their own army.. The mexican army can't control them, that is the next threat level to america.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Go stand outside the Whitehouse, and preach about how you think it is just for terrorists to fly planes into American landmarks in the name of Allah and that you want other's to join you, then come back and tell me you still have freedom of speech.

That's a ridculous arguement. Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to yell fire in a crowded theater.

Obviously your goal is to just piss people off.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I don’t have the right to own a semi automatic

And I don’t life under a dictatorship.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by DaddyBare

Very true, we have a problem with knife crime, I would ban them if I could, but i really like stakes. So how about 5 years minimum if your caught with one out of its packaging and 15 years for intent and life if you kill with one.

The biggest problem we really have is alcohol, so I would raise the age you can drink to 21

You would have been perfect for the Gestapo or SS.

Maybe in a former life?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieWoof

Probably not, I mean going from the SS to a nurse is really quite a leap. You know going form a profession that is basically evil to one that is about caring, compassion and empathy. You could be right though, I don’t know how these things work.

But yes i do want to have your rights restricted and controlled somewhat.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Kevinuknown
Scenario-

Your fast asleep in your cozy little UK bed; dreaming about Soccer or God (he’s a straight shooter) when suddenly your awoken by a loud crash, possibly breaking glass. Being the cautious person you appear to be, you grab your flashlight and who knows maybe a stick, butter knife either way not a gun. Upon inspecting the suspicious noise you see two masked men rummaging around your living area, they also see you. I’m assuming your single in this adventure, or gutless once again either way you rush back to your bedroom and dial your emergency services number. Now here is where your point of view begins to bite you in the rear. You now have roughly twelve minutes to keep yourself alive (1) with intruders in your house and no guns, while I’d bet you a dollar (although it’s pretty worthless now days) your masked friends are equipped with some sort of weapon. Good luck bro, I choose guns any day.
-A responsible person is no more dangerous with a gun than you are with your oppressive views.
Just my thoughts.

1- www.cityoflondon.police.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Kevinuknown
Scenario-

Your fast asleep in your cozy little UK bed; dreaming about Soccer or God (he’s a straight shooter) when suddenly your awoken by a loud crash, possibly breaking glass. Being the cautious person you appear to be, you grab your flashlight and who knows maybe a stick, butter knife either way not a gun. Upon inspecting the suspicious noise you see two masked men rummaging around your living area, they also see you. I’m assuming your single in this adventure, or gutless once again either way you rush back to your bedroom and dial your emergency services number. Now here is where your point of view begins to bite you in the rear. You now have roughly twelve minutes to keep yourself alive (1) with intruders in your house and no guns, while I’d bet you a dollar (although it’s pretty worthless now days) your masked friends are equipped with some sort of weapon. Good luck bro, I choose guns any day.
-A responsible person is no more dangerous with a gun than you are with your oppressive views.
Just my thoughts.

1- www.cityoflondon.police.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

We have out fists, try a night out in Glasgow you’ll get what I am talking about.

Surly extending our ability to defend ourselves by extending our limbs with rifles is interfering with these natural rights. There are large parts of the world were civilians don’t own guns and they are not disadvantaged as a result.

So in your idyllic gun-free world, an 85 pound lady is required to hold her own against a 300 pound rapist, because she too has fists? How's that supposed to work?

Listen, a gun is the ONLY THING IN THE WORLD that puts the weak and frail on even footing with those that would otherwise do them grave harm.

Your approaching this argument solely from your perspective, without a single thought of someone who isn't physically capable of defending themselves with their fists.

Get real, man!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

what is the difference between an AR-15 and a derringer? both will kill you just as dead. Guns are guns. They are made to kill. Just like arrows and spears.

And no, you aren't in a dictatorship, you just seem like that is what you want. You have given up on humanity and want people regulated by government.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I would bet that a lot of perfectly 'reasonable' people went down that route. The illusion of security seduces many to relenquish personal freedom. How else could an entire nation follow such an evil doctrine? Unfortunately it seems like we are heading down that path again, and I don't mean just the US. The tyranny of men!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
People who live in an island dont understand that we have a great flow of firearms into the criminal hands over the Southern border.

The husband and I have spent a lot of time in the UK and when speaking about some of the issues.... gun control ALWAYS comes up... being defensive never works to help them understand. They have NO concept of what our country is like in reality. They also have no concept of being able to hunt due their draconian laws that they didnt fight against
They are not under the same armed threat we are daily... and our guns sometimes cancel out the threat. Ive been to the "bad" parts of London and laughed.. they have NO idea what a "slum" is or what the people in our "slums" are capable of with their own illegal weapons. We took one of our Welsh guests in 2007 to East St.Louis.... and let him look at the crime stats. he understood. The slums and bad areas in the UK are by far different as well as the threat. About a year later he was in Austin at a contractors convention and got held up at a restaurant... the Texans took their own guns out and the threat was canceled out. He understands now that the UK is NOT America even though we speak a similar English

When we lived in the South West we had guns every time we went out hiking.. those brick walls around the back yards arent for looks. They keep out large predators from eating you and your children. Our guns deterred the predators if fired and if they get too close they can be the only thing between you and death. Those from the UK have no concept of this.

Our govt is another reason as several have pointed out.. theyve explained it adequately. Our militias are necessary. Those from tiny countries with secure borders who's govt isnt messing around have NO concept of that either. We have an outrageous population compared to those small countries and islands. They dont understand the concept of that either. Its obvious that OP doesnt as he claims he doesnt even have a vehicle. Where I live I am in the city but I still need a vehicle to even buy groceries.. its a 30 min drive to a regular grocery store.

Basically to argue with a person who speaks loudly but has no real practical experience with how we live or where we live and the person refuses to add these things into his concept... is useless. He has no concept that our govt isnt insane.. they dont want to disarm us.. if we were at any time invaded or even with small cells activated, the citizenry would be as valuable of an armed asset to squash it as our armed military and police. In my area there are a little over 100 citizens per police officer.
Our citizens would firm a miitia in a second and fight along side of the troops if it was needed.

From OPs own words he has no real understanding of our rights or what real freedom of speech is. Not his fault.. look what he is living under. The concept of these things is misunderstood the world over.. educate him. DOnt just bash him because he thinks freedom of speech is saying anything you want anywhere you want. Hell. I fear even many Americans feel that is what is meant by freedom of speech!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

Originally posted by Lagrimas
Here here!

I know its from 2007 but these figures will still be true today Im sure:

www.reuters.com...

Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading,

What would americans put in their pockets if they didn't have guns!? Thats the problem, people got used to feeling the weight.

If anything, that Reuters article affirms that a number of developed nations have a higher per capita gun count than 3rd world countries. Makes me wonder what would happen in some oppressive places in the world if the citizenry had more of an ability to arm themselves.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by blaenau2000

Which is exactly why AMERICA is ALWAYS right....duh

Governments have abused power from the beginning of time, i think i would rather have a means to change the system if we were getting to be too oppressed. How did we ever come under the notion that a government was good for us to begin with, they have always been about assimilating power, and looking after their own well being. That goes back through history, its just since the American revolution that we have been able to facilitate change faster, largely due to guns, to quell some of the ambitions of a government not for the people, which is exactly what we have.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Don't feed troll chimp.

2nd.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join