It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans need guns? Rip UP the Second Amendment, problem solved.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I agree with OP. I may be biased because I'm a human weapon without a gun, but weapons are for war, not peace. If someone is attacking you, you don't need to kill them. If they are trying to kill you, then be a better fighter....

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Right, defending yourself and family through various means. It just so happens that owning a firearm makes defending yourself and family a little bit easier, at least when it comes to the issue of a home invasion.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Every developed country other than the United States has firearm prohibition laws and is under a 1% gun violence rate, where the United States has more than triple those rates (six times higher than that of Canada).

You people who say that there is no correlation between gun violence and gun ownership are simply... liars.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

I totally agree with you... Also funny how you can't own a gun if you are charged with domestic violence, yet when a man kills his wife, its almost always by knife, stragulating, beating. Even though they have a firearm in the home. Imagine that. If someone wants to kill another, they will.. And I don't know about most people here, but if it is my time to go, id much rather be shot and killed, than hacked or sliced up, bleeding to death from gaping wounds. Any crime scene photo will show you, knives and blunt objects are nasty, shoot me instead please. Its humane.

Deebo

edit on 14-12-2010 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by kevinunknown

Hello Kevinunkown.
Does your country allow its peoples to have guns?.
if no then why not

I think that's been explained several times already in this thread.

Obviously you haven't bothered to read it before posting.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I made this post in another thread a while ago, which i can link to if requested. But it stands in good stead for this thread also.

This thread clearly shows that neither the Brits or the Americans are ever going to be able to change the thoughts and minds of the other. I myself carry for self defense. 7 years ago, I would have felt safer walking the streets of the UK, than I would the US. After living here in the US for nigh on 7 years, personally, I still would....for now. However, when reading more and more about the crime in the UK rising (whether it be knife, gun, or just physical assault) I can honestly say I am beginning to feel safer here in the US, knowing that, if it wasnt for myself carrying, then there maybe someone around me who is. Who has gone through the required training to carry concealed, has passed the fairly intensive FBI background check (at least, thats the procedure here in this state) and more than likely is not a crazed whackjob, and actually goes to the range on a fairly regular basis to get practice.
I came to the US, thinking the streets were paved with gold, it was the land of opportunity and everyone loved everyone..(alright, that last bit was an exaggeration, but you get my drift). I did not expect to face the high crime rate in the cities here, and I certainly did not expect to end up carrying, pretty much 24/7 (except for them damn blasted CPZ's). When you have lived here, and walked in these shoes, and seen the types of crime here, compared to the UK, then maybe, just maybe, your mind may change. I know mine did So in closing, I really think that people carrying for self defense is a good thing. Chances are, if some crazed loon goes nuts and starts shooting up people in a mall, then the 1 person who may be carrying legally and for self defense of themselves and others, would be able to end that confrontation a lot more quickly, than having to wait for the police and the loon laying waste to more and more people, eventually, more than likely, taking his own life after maximum deaths.
Brits and Americans are never going to get over there love/hate relationships of guns or lack thereof. These are my own thoughts, and if you want to interpret them as you want, then go ahead. Quite frankly, I dont care what either side think. I'm just giving my opinon.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by kevinunknown

Hello Kevinunkown.
Does your country allow its peoples to have guns?.
if no then why not

I think that's been explained several times already in this thread.

Obviously you haven't bothered to read it before posting.
nope,.
why ,. I was only interested in a one on one,.
You are not the op,. so why even bother posting
Oh and my bad,.. I must have misread the ATS handbook that states we must read all comments

edit on 14-12-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Replace gun violence instead with knife violence, broken liquor bottle turned into a makeshift shiv violence, run a person over with a car violence, and so on and so forth, and you still have the same issue of violence, only with other forms of weaponry.

And these countries that prohibit firearms, how much of the gun violence is related to people who own a gun legally versus illegally? This is a one-sided question anyway, mostly rhetorical.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

what about heat / warm summer days ?

you do know that during hotter times of the year people tend to do more crime , should we ban people from venturing to warmer places then whats the norm where you live geographicly speaking,

i mean you bring up one factor , one factor and that is that in order to do gun crime to need to have a firearm ,
yes very logical thinking but so is my allegory of hot summer days ,

but wait now we have two factors , warm days and owing a gun , what more factors can be put in to play before we acturly have a homicide scenario ?

come on be a bit more imaginative , .

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Because I want to and because I can.

Do you have a problem with that?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Because I want to and because I can.

Do you have a problem with that?

you will not be worth my time,.
Move along

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Why should I?

And how do you know?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist
reply to post by Brood

Replace gun violence instead with knife violence, broken liquor bottle turned into a makeshift shiv violence, run a person over with a car violence, and so on and so forth, and you still have the same issue of violence, only with other forms of weaponry.

Knives and liquor bottles are not manufactured for the sole use of killing people.

You people really need to stop the onslaught of shallow nonsense.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
Every developed country other than the United States has firearm prohibition laws and is under a 1% gun violence rate, where the United States has more than triple those rates (six times higher than that of Canada).

You people who say that there is no correlation between gun violence and gun ownership are simply... liars.

Liars? And you must be mentally challenged. Those stats do not differentiate the 2.5 million incidents of people Stopping an attacker or crime with thier guns from some gang banger offing his rival. Plus the stats that England is so gun crime free are bogus.

All the states in the union that have the least amount of gun restrictionsl also have the lowest crime rates period. If gun bans worked LA, NY, and DC would be among the safest places on the planet. Yet they are some of the most Dangerous. I believe NY has a higher murder rate then Baghdad. Idaho,

The fact is Guns save far more live then they take about 80 to 1. And of the ones they take many of them are criminals stopped by honest armed citizens and a favor to society by removing them from the gene pool. The lie is the whole idea the American gun culture is responsible for crime. Idaho, Vermont, and Montana have the least amount of gun restrictions and machine guns and open carry are even legal and they are among the safest states with the lowest crime rates. Yet idiots want us to ban guns. Yeah right that will work about as well as banning drugs has. But fools will persist in their ridiculous arguments.
edit on 14-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
reply to post by Brood

what about heat / warm summer days ?

you do know that during hotter times of the year people tend to do more crime , should we ban people from venturing to warmer places then whats the norm where you live geographicly speaking,

i mean you bring up one factor , one factor and that is that in order to do gun crime to need to have a firearm ,
yes very logical thinking but so is my allegory of hot summer days ,

but wait now we have two factors , warm days and owing a gun , what more factors can be put in to play before we acturly have a homicide scenario ?

come on be a bit more imaginative , .

Again, shallow.

Nobody manufactures heat as an object for killing human beings. Inprohibitable. Go elsewhere with your nonsensical tripe, please.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I think the idea that guns are evil is a bit ridiculous. Guns can kill people, but so can knives, pens, and pillows. I understand that guns are meant to kill and main, but sometimes that is necessary. It's an ugly part of life that we sometimes need to hunt or defend ourselves. That said, I do agree with you that I really don't understand the need to have semi-automatic weapons unless you're in a combat zone.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

you're hung up on the lie that I am from England. I am not going to respond to you anymore because I have told you this three times now. Stop it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Why own a gun. Simple. As you said self defense. There are people that will kill you just to get in your house or for the cash in your wallet. I say if everyone else can have a gun to protect themselves. So can I. I wouldn't use it to rob people. But seriously, I want someone to think twice before robbing me. In New Orleans a gun went off next to me ear only cause I slapped it out of my face and broke the guys trigger finger. I didn't shoot him back and he ran off quickly. So I disposed of the gun and walked away.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Not 'liars' Brood.

Just folks who maintain that per capital 'rates' and 'statistics', if you will, aren't always Truly representative of the overall situation or severity thereof.

Public polls and Opinions are the Real 'liars' ... as they hold no weight nor accuracy whatsoever, and are quite readily and easily manipulated to 'show' whatever desired 'outcome' needed to further one's agenda or push

All the while the demographics obtained from such are incessantly manipulated and used to further support erroneous claims, assertions and legislative measures.
edit on 12/14/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

you're hung up on the lie that I am from England. I am not going to respond to you anymore because I have told you this three times now. Stop it.

Of course you not going to respond to facts because you have nothing to respond with! Here is another fact you won't respond to because you can't; 97 percent of women who are armed when attacked stop and kill or bring to justice thier attacker. On the other hand 97% of women who are unarmed when attacked end up raped or killed or both!. Which odds would you prefer the women of your family to have?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join