It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Earthquakes!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Arkansas also has lots of places to find Crystals. I evacuated to crystal mountain one time during a hurricane in New orleans. I didn't know why it was called crystal mountain till I got there. Its a huge crystal lol.

Arkansas is a very powerful place. Too bad its associated with Deliverance lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have an aunt that lives north of Mena, and my family would visit Arkansas every year. Lived for a while north of Springdale, and it is a beautiful place. I've been very curious about the earthquakes in Guy as well. I own land just west of Mena by about 20 miles in Oklahoma, deep in the hills. There's a lot of geologic history there. I am under the impression that this is the only east-west mountian chain in the USA. I've found seashell fossils at the tops of these hills just over the border with Missouri. I never knew about the alien encounters until now though... my mom used to love going to the diamond mine, even if all we did was get dirty.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ok, there are a few things to clear up and learn about Arkansas

Nope the 'hot springs' are not heated by a magma chamber.
www.hotsprings.org...

Rain falls within the Ouachita Mountain Valley where it slowly soaks through the soil, and after thousands of years, reaches deep layers of the earth. At around 7,000 ft below the surface, the water heats and compresses before gravity causes it to rush to the surface and escape through 47 springs on the west side of Hot Springs Mountain.

There was a small fault line discovered in Arkansas that wasn't part of the New Madris fault.

Fracking seems to be the thing that is shaking up central Arkansas. But of course the EPA says 'not'. Here's what the local Fox station reported www.fox16.com...

Lastly, the Diamond Crater (much fun we had there in early fall - only found quartz) NOT an active volcano...
www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com...

About 300 to 250 million years ago, the continent we now call South America collided with the southern portion of present day North America. This collision formed the Ouachita Mountains from sediments that were deposited in a deep ocean environment. The Ouachitas began to erode and during the Cretaceous Period (144 to 66 million years ago), the southern area of this eroded mountain range was covered by seas and the area of the Park was near-shore, but under shallow seawater. About 100 million years ago, an instability in the Earth’s mantle caused the movement of gas and rock to the surface. This volcanic vent, known as the “Prairie Creek” diatreme by geologists, rose rapidly through the upper mantle and crust, carrying with it fragments of mantle and crustal rocks and minerals, until it came near enough to the surface to explode due to the release of gases. When it exploded, it created an 83-acre funnel-shaped crater with sides sloping inward at about 45 degrees. Much of the airborne material formed by the initial explosion fell back into the vent. The speed of rise of the mass allowed the diamonds to be preserved in this material.
Geologists calculate that only about 160 feet of the original vent has been eroded away, concentrating the heavy minerals, including diamond, in the present day soil. At the Crater, diamonds are often found loose in the soil, having been released during the rapid weathering of this unstable mantle rock.

If you have a long weekend, I would highly recommend visiting both the Diamond Crater as well Hot Springs. The spa experience was not to my comfort level as I do not like someone else bathing or showering me. Other than that it was a great time

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Axthiel
reply to post by getreadyalready

My wife and I live maybe 5 minutes from Decatur Ar and this is the first we've ever heard of that cave, or the high speed train for that matter. Learn something new everyday lol. I feel kind of dumb though because I've lived around this area for most of my life. Guess I just never payed attention.

I lived 50 miles from there my whole life, explored a million caves, and I never heard of that particular cave until I joined ATS! Since learning of it, my brother drove down and visited and is planning a longer visit. Supposedly it has all been blocked off or collapsed and is no longer accessible, but I don't know if I believe that or not.

I also never knew of the alien encounters in SW Missouri, and that is my stomping ground. Had to learn about that on ATS.

I also lived in Destin, Florida for a few years, and I always wondered about the weird alien signs along Hwy 98 near Gulf Breeze and Navarre. After joining ATS I learned of the alien connection, and now it is even featured on the UFO Hunters programs. Who knew?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

yes I know exactly where you are talking about I've driven down that hiway many times, some houses are shaped like UFO's. There is an Air Force Base right there. I figured people were just seeing stuff from there thinking they were UFO's.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Interesting.
Definitely going like popcorn down there. If you're into viewing geospatial data via Google Earth, you might like this app:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join