It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It got a little icy in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Things got a little icy here in North Florida last night. I took some pictures around 7:10 AM EST. The temperature dropped to about 23F with a windchill of 7F. I do not have a great camera, plus I know very little about camera's, anyways it is a Kodak AF 3x Optical Aspheric Lens, 34mm - 102mm, 9.2 Megapixel.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ca518ee8bdb.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63ed6a0283ab.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67c28c1b3aff.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce67406ab94f.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/febffdc7b95d.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ecbd76d067d.png[/atsimg]

There pictures are a little blurry because it was cold out and I was shaking a little. Good thing the wind was not strong when I was taking the pictures.

Just letting everyone know the anyone thing I did to these pictures after downloading them is add them to click the "Enhance" button in Kodak Photo Gallery. No cropping or altering.
edit on 12/14/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/14/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Not to be mean or anything, but it always makes me feel a little better to know that we up north are not the only ones shivering. Its been crazy cold all of a sudden here too the last few days.

I am sure you will get above freezing quick enough tho, while we are going to be stuck with it.
for at least 3 more months.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Well we are not exactly use to this in FL.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As I sit here with 12 degree weather and shortly have to go clean off the tons of snow on my car since I have to go out today it is a little hard to feel sorry for Florida, I live there for 18 months 2001-2 and remember the temps getting down to 25 degrees while I was there, everyone was freezing except me as I on second thought brought my Uggs boots and winter clothes with me, my down jacket sure came in handy. I had beautiful plants on the Lanai and brought them indoors the night before and they were just fine, plus took sheets and covered outdoor plants that I thought might be in jeopardy, everything survived.

I don't mind the winters here but this cold snap is very rare for this time of the year.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Man, that's messed up. Do you guys even buy coats there?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Central Florida resident speaking:

I usually wear shorts & t-shirt or whatever daily until around the middle to end of November. After that, it can be rather sporadic as most lifelong residents here don't like to venture out if it drops around 50 deg. If I remember correctly from last year, the shorts didn't become a daily thing until around the 1st of March, maybe a little after.
There are no coats in my house. We have jackets that sit in the closet most of the year. I own a single pair of shoes that sat vacant until this past weekend, as it's usually sandals for me....I've got the tan lines on my feet to prove it.
The summer sun is brutal. It will demolish a tarp in about three months. It will bleach clothes on the line in days.

We made our last trip to the beach around the end of October. The water was cold, and there WAS shrinkage, but it was still enjoyable. It wasn't cold enough to bother the kids at all.
Some pretty good pics of this visit can be found here - along with others jpgmag.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
You guys in Florida would not know how to act if you lived up here. Just this morning in Charleston, WV, about three miles west of me. The temperature on Captiol Street at 7AM was 9 degrees with a windchill of 11 below zero. You guys wouldn't come out of your house for the entire winter. Not only that, but we got smacked with ten inches of snow both Sunday night and yesterday. You guys would not like living up here in Mid-Atlantic with this kind of weather.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

Sounds like you had about same weather we had here in the Detroit area, finally went out to clean my car of ice and snow, prayed my car would start, not only did it start, my locks were not frozen, plus there were two neighbors out there who removed all the snow and ice for me. As you well know gimmefootball when storms like this happen it brings out the best in people.

I do miss my garage, since I sold my home and moved into an apartment things have changed...but love it anyway, no responsibilities.., I love my view from the 10th floor...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Everyone here criticizing us Floridians for not being able to handle the cold is absolute crap. Sure most people I know start shivering when it reaches 69 and start wearing Alaska jackets/sweaters around 50 but not I. Shorts and a t-shirt are a year round thing for me here. When it reaches about 40 I put on jeans, sweater and socks but after that I am warm. Last night when it was 23F I was outside in just jeans, sweater, socks and shoes. I go for a walk every night around 12:30 a.m. same as last night with 20 mph winds.

I love the cold! That is why I was so excited with all the ice here, it is not an every year event. I do not mind temperatures below 20 whenever they actually get that low. There are some Floridians who actually love and can handle the cold, not many, but there are some.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Everyone here criticizing us Floridians for not being able to handle the cold is absolute crap. Sure most people I know start shivering when it reaches 69 and start wearing Alaska jackets/sweaters around 50 but not I. Shorts and a t-shirt are a year round thing for me here. When it reaches about 40 I put on jeans, sweater and socks but after that I am warm. Last night when it was 23F I was outside in just jeans, sweater, socks and shoes. I go for a walk every night around 12:30 a.m. same as last night with 20 mph winds.

I love the cold! That is why I was so excited with all the ice here, it is not an every year event. I do not mind temperatures below 20 whenever they actually get that low. There are some Floridians who actually love and can handle the cold, not many, but there are some.

I hate cold and winter. Now it is damn cold outside.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Don't fee bad you Floridians. It is all relative. I can assure you that the first cold snap up here and everyone is shivering too. Then the next one isn't so bad. Eventually it gets to the point where you can just about take anything the weather throws at you.

I always noticed that at the end of summer, a 40 degree temp feels horribly cold. In January or Feb. that same temperature feels great!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by wayno

Well we are not exactly use to this in FL.

Which is GREAT if you're a tourist (like I was about 20 years ago) and visiting Disney, Epcot etc.

When my sister and I went to Florida to visit "uncle Mickey" it SNOWED. 1st time in a hundred years aparently and being from the UK at the time, we were used to it and getting chilly was natural for us.

The great thing was, there were NO queues anywhere so we practically had the places to ourselves and got to go in and on anything we wanted as many times as we liked.

LOL......Floridians are lightweights.

top topics

join