It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Supported Saddam? Wikileak: Vatican View of Some Countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Ive been going over some wikileaks leaks, and came across this cable. THE VATICAN-- THE SUPRANATIONAL POWER

THE VATICAN’S SUPPORT OF SADDAM HUSSEIN RESULTS FROM ITS DESIRE TO PROTECT 600,000 IRAQI CATHOLICS FROM ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISM; ITS REFUSAL TO PUBLICLY CRITICIZE CROAT NATIONALIST CLERGY IN BOSNIA STEMS IN PART FROM THE CROAT CHURCH’S STAUNCH DEFENSE OF THE FAITH DURING THE COLD WAR;

It says this cable was created 2001-07-03 and was released 2010-12-10. Im still reading and trying to make sense of it.

Just thought I would share.

Edit - After further reading, it seems that the US and Vatican share interests in many of the same countries, even though the reasons are not the same.

(C) THE VATICAN AND THE U.S. SHARE INTERESTS IN MANY OF THE SAME COUNTRIES (E.G. INDONESIA, CHINA, TAIWAN, VIETNAM), BUT NOT ALWAYS FOR THE SAME REASONS. IN ADDITION TO THE FORMAL CHURCH NETWORK NUMEROUS, OFTEN SEMI-AUTONOMOUS, CATHOLIC MISSIONARY ORGANIZATIONS CONFIDENTIAL

The leak goes on to talk about what the Vatican thinks about some of the countries. ex - East Timor is poised to become the 2nd catholic country in Asia, behind the Phillippines

edit on 13-12-2010 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If the vatican supports satan then it shall support saddam, what type of question is that.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Im going to try to share some points in the cable that I think are important as I keep reading.

Some bits from the Asia section.

THE VATICAN AND ITS CONSTITUENT EPISCOPATES ARE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN DIALOGUES WITH POLITICALLY POWERFUL MUSLIM AND CHRISTIAN ORTHODOX FAITHS. THE RESULTS OF THESE DIALOGUES WILL IMPACT PROSPECTS FOR DEMOCRACY, STABILITY, RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE UNITED STATES.

CHINA: WITH ITS OWN NETWORK OF CONTACTS AMONG CHINA’S UNDERGROUND AND PATRIOTIC CHURCHES, THE HOLY SEE HAS EXCELLENT SOURCES OF INFORMATION REGARDING DISSIDENTS, HUMAN RIGHTS, RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND GOVERNMENT CONTROL OVER THE POPULATION.

Heres a bit what they say about Cuba.

AMONG THE TOPICS OF DISCUSSION: THE GOC’S TREATMENT OF THE CUBAN CHURCH, THE STATUS OF DISSIDENTS, AND THE EFFECTS OF THE U.S. EMBARGO, ABOUT WHICH THE HOLY SEE SHARES CASTRO’S CRITICISM. THE VATICAN IS QUIETLY LOOKING AHEAD TO THE DAY WHEN FIDEL CASTRO DEPARTS THE SCENE. IT IS CONCERNED HOWEVER, THAT HIS REPLACEMENT CAN ACTUALLY BE WORSE.

In Europe, the cable basically says the Vatican would like to see a unified christian Europe and would increase talks with the nations.

At the bottom of the cable, they talk about GMO's -

BIOTECHNOLOGY AND AGRICULTURAL TRADE -- EMBASSY VATICAN HAS SPONSORED TWO DISCUSSIONS OF THIS THEME INVOLVING SCIENTIFIC EXPERTS ATTACHED TO THE VATICAN. PROMOTING A MORE POSITIVE VATICAN APPROACH TO APPROPRIATE USE OF GMOS IN THIRD WORLD AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT COULD HELP MAKE GMOS MORE WIDELY ACCEPTED EVEN IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD.

GMO's more widely accepted even in the developed world......

Keep in mind that this cable was made in 2001. Alot of time has passed since then.

THE MIDDLE EAST - THE VATICAN WILL CONTINUE TO OPPOSE U.S. EFFORTS TO ISOLATE SADDAM HUSSEIN. WE SHOULD RECOGNIZE THAT THE VATICAN WILL NOT SUPPORT OUR EFFORTS IN IRAQ, AND INVESTIGATE WAYS TO LIMIT VATICAN INTERFERENCE WITH OUR OBJECTIVES.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
HI,

The only problem I have with all this wikileaks stuff of late, apart from the glaringly obvious, is that Mr J.A. is on record in the days before the shenanigans started saying that his site had been hacked a few days earlier. In which case every leak since that hacking is debatable to begin with... could have been CIA or any number of other Sections.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

It comes as no surprise that the Vatican supported Saddam.

Saddam was a long-term Ba'ath party member. No religious agendas with that party; essentially, atheism.

Under Saddam's rule, Christians were probably more free to practice their religion alongside Muslims than under the option of other potential leaders--who would likely expand Islam.

It was not until around the time of the Gulf/Kuwait situation that Saddam started churning out the Islam propoganda.
edit on 14-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is not surprising.

But how did the catholic church support Saddam?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Ummmm...some of their gold coins, perhaps?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The United States supported Saddam in the 80's. What's the big deal.
I mean what country hasn't supported a petty dictator at one point in time i history?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Vatican supported Saddam. Hmmm . I'm not surprised.
The Vatican is notoriously anti-America and Eurocentric.
I'm sure they would love to see America's power brought down.
Most of their statements and interferences show this to be true.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socratic Method
If the vatican supports satan then it shall support saddam, what type of question is that.

lol!

i think you would enjoy www.armageddonconspiracy.co.uk

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The Vatican benefits from the continued existence and operation of the United States. The US is the last real crusader state and one of its chief agendas is making the world safe for Christians [i.e. by destroying non-Christians and proselytizing at the end of a gun]. It doesn't matter what denomination the locals convert to because the Church is tolerated by the USA and is free to reconvert new Christians to Catholicism.
edit on 14-12-2010 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

top topics

join