It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about psychiatric meds?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by Northwarden
reply to post by Xiamara

500 americans die each year and many more are poisoned by
acetaminophen.

Yeah but the majority of those are suicide attempts.. No-one who's a big enough fiend to drop ten pills containing negligible amounts of codeine to get high doesn't know how to perform a very VERY basic CWE.

Acetaminophen/paracetemol = physically safe when taken in amounts (< 2g per day in this instance) that are metabolized without damaging the body, you'd have to make your own box to show me one that advised a person takes more than 2000mg of acetaminophen in a 24 hour period.
Opiates are too addictive to prescribe for OTC issues, fact.

edit on 14-12-2010 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'll start by saying that I have GAD with Agoraphobia.

The first few years I was completely opposed to the idea of medication and my life was hell. My doctor told me that in my case it would be nearly impossible to get it under control without some medication. I tried a few but feared the medication even more than the disorder. I saw my own mother struggle with her medication, but she needed it since she had MS, still I really didn't want to end up drooling on myself.

After a while it got so bad that I opted to go for the treatment but unfortunately, nothing worked. I was diagnosed as being hypersensitive to medication. I'm one of the low percentage of people who cannot take Inhibitors and such meds since the period of habituation to these meds never seems to end. I tried a few but was told to stop after severe dizziness and vomiting. Finally I tried Paxil, I stayed on even after they told me to stop and ended up in the ER severely dehydrated.

But hope was not all lost, I could take Benzos but didn't want to grow dependent on them. Now I take a very low dose and quit them for a while when my body finally needs more, which can take a very long while. Mix that with meditation and self-hypnosis, I'm not able to live a decent life. I traveled from coast to coast across Canada with just my girlfriend and an esteem wagon. I came a far way considering I couldn't even walk outside of my home years ago. I still have a hard time dealing with some situations such as malls and such places but I still manage, no matter the situation.

There's a reason why someone needs medication, it should not be used to treat the disorder but rather to calm the symptoms while the person gets therapy. Too many people rely on pills in order to live healthy lives, which is quite unhealthy, the most important thing is for them to understand the problem and to learn how to deal with it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Argh, double post... how do I delete?
I'm such a noob.

edit on 14-12-2010 by Cocasinpry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cocasinpry
Argh, double post... how do I delete?
I'm such a noob.

edit on 14-12-2010 by Cocasinpry because: (no reason given)

don't feel bad... I have been posting my ass off and just found where the stars are clicked today.

oh wait... damn. I just forgot again... nevermind.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Now that i think about it... maybe I imagined the whole "stars" thing.

I'm so confused.

I remember now, it was the post subscription.... a hell i don't know. You should have seen me looking for mesages...OMG!

I don't know what it is about this site... I like the layout a lot, it's got a lot of things other sites don't have, but because of that... I am SO not used to it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
When I was in my 20s I started working in a psychiatric hospital as an aide. My job was interacting and charting on the behavior of patients whether they were eating, sleeping following rules and so on. After 3 years I was supervising a behavior modification ward in a state hospital which was unusual for a person that dropped out of high school and had a general education diploma.... I had gotten married to a girl from a well to do family that appeared to be kind of a hippie type but she was just being fashionable and was more into wealth than what she had claimed so I hustled and got a job making about 8 times what I had been and found out that I had less money at the end of each month than I had before..... The stress started wearing on me and I was out of control, having symptoms of anger, depression, insomnia and anxiety along with flashbacks of my combat experiences in Vietnam.... I had been seeing private doctors and counselors and when they were through with me I had no money and had to own up to having been affected by what I had been involved in while in the Marines which they didn't want to touch being that none of them had served, followed by the less than warm welcome and acceptance that the World War II vets had received.... I ended up seeing VA shrinks and being prescribed pills that caused side effects that they gave me more pills for and when I had negative side effects from them they would up the doses... At one time I was taking 12 different prescriptions and had gained 85 pounds and eventually spent 6 out of 18 months in a V.A. Psychiatric hospital....After a while I said to hell with all of that and self medicated and did much better even though i was drinking quite a bit but alcohol has never caused me any problems except for waking up in bed with some real wrecks and hangovers, still not as bad as when I was on all of the damned pills... I now take morphine and tramadol 3 times a day etodolac twice cyclobenzaprine and atavan as needed for chronic pain from service connected injuries that prevented me from being able to get health insurance.. I have arrhythmia,high cholesterol, and hypertension that I take vitamins and dietary supplements for and control my diet.... My weight is the same as it was when I got out of Boot Camp....Psychotropics are OK I guess if you are a chronic case and not likely to be functional to a normal degree without them because in all likely hood you may well be less functional on them.... I have seen the long term effects they have on people and it is shocking beyond belief... In the late 70s one of the doctors on the unit that I supervised a ward on was blown away by the amount of medication thast some of the patients were on and how it was affecting them physically... He implemented a program to cut them back and it was at first pretty rough but since we used a token economy as a means of reinforcing positive behavior we just upped the amount of candy, cigarettes , coffee and other treats they wanted to keep them happy and their work and behavior increased and improved.... What I find that works well for me as far as helping with PTSD is having a dog as a friend and companion that I take care of interact with and get exercise out doors with... Right now is bad because 18-11-2010 someone stole my dog.and I am out every day doing all I can and online at night doing the same.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Working in psychiatry for 12 years has given me the impression that the medication aspect of treatment has become to readily available. Especially when person to person therapy has not been exhausted first. There is a myth in society that doctors think they can cure mental inllness. This even the average person I'm sure realizes will never happen. Some illnesses are related to chemical imbalances that can be corrected with minimal intervention of medication to supplement or help regulate the chemicals. In other cases I've seen how the medication can suppress a person's personality and behaviours so much so that the closest family members don't even recognise the person. But I've also had patients report how much better they feel with the illness symptoms managed.

That being said when therapy is exhausted and medication is introduced to the therapy program, it is the responsibility of the person and the therapist/physician that he or she is working with to discuss the benfits vs negatives of the use of medication. If you have longstanding depression subjectively for years on end, worse in the holiday seasons. Dealing with POTENTIAL side effects, if any of the medication can be much more favourable for some.

Not everyone realizes that they are becoming ill when it comes to mental illness, especially in the early onset of the illenss. for example, if you were to live in a big city and were schizophrenic and wandering the streets displaying some of the beehaviours related to the illness, someone will call the police or an ambulance and get you to a health care facility that will hopefully get you some help. Yet if you live in a small town, people don't intervene as much because "It's Johnnie's brother leave him be, he's not hurting anyone" In this case a person can remain in an ill state for years. Forming behaviours and beliefs around the symptoms that are not being treated like hallucinations, deluisions, outrageous beliefs, paranoia and isolation from others. This is when the medication comes in to play in forced treatment. The medication helps to restabalize that person whle therapy is being initiated and then titrated down words over time as the illness and persons quality of life improve. Leaving the person with minimal medication, if any and a therapy plan.

Sadly enough, everywhere you look there is an ad in the news paper or on TV discussing various medications to fix this, sleep better, feel happy. Almost as though the drug companies are encouraging you that you are ill and need thjis to feel better. B.S. Pure B.S. All I can say is don't trust blindly, asdk a million questions and be active in the treatment. Don't let people make decisions for you, it's your life.

On a side note. I worked with a person in foresics abot 6 years ago that challenged in the Canadian Supreme court the right not to take medication. Stating that he would rather deal with the symptoms of the disease process then the side effects of the medication. He was a chronic 20 year schizophrenic, in and out of this state for months at a time never really getting stable, in and out of the hospital. He won! Negative side of the story was because he refuse to take the meds he ended, court ordered to stay in the facility due to the severity of the symptoms and delusions. About 2 years later he started to take the medication, was discharged from forensics and lives a subjectively more pleasant life.

There are pros and cons to everything...just be involved and don't take anyones word as gold!
edit on 14-12-2010 by PsychNurse because: spelling

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This was my field before I retired to teach. I have to say that I had totally bought into it but my view has changed 180 degrees in the last 10 years. Over 90% of the people on these meds should be slowly weaned off under supervision. Like most of Big Pharma, they are total crap. Medicating kids should be a criminal offense. Most "psychiatric disorders" can be successfully treated via diet, exercise and cognitive and/or behavioral interventions.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

Agreed... Star for you! Children are medicated way too easily... I think there are more bad parenting issues than "attention deficit" children out there. Giving them ridalin is not the answer! But it is a cash cow.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

I used to work with people with schizophrenia. One day one of the patients told me that last week he had stopped taking his meds after reading on the internet that they were bad for him controlling him the usual stuff. I informed his key worker who tried to get him back on them, he refused so the key worker informed his doctor and while everyone was trying to figure out how best to help him he punched a bus driver in face. Why did he do this, because this patient thought he was Jesus and the bus driver was a demon trying to kill him, this guy was arrested and then put back into a mental health hospital for a few weeks. When he got out he was under observation, had to be put back on some other medication, that was really difficult to do. All that because he read on the internet that the drugs were bad for him and it he was taking them because the government wanted to control him

After that I knew that its best to take the meds and ignore anyone who suggests there is anything sinister behind the pharmaceuticals. Its one of the reasons i wrote a thread a while back explain why this site really isn’t a good place for people with MH problems.

So what do I think, I think your doctor has spend 7 years in training if not more, probably has years of experience and if he says the meds are a good thing, they probably are.

edit on 14-12-2010 by kevinunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

I mentored a twelve year old boy for a year at the request of his grand parents who were raising him.
He was certainly a problem child for them.
Not for me. ( thats not a boast)
He was on Ritalin which he hated
This caused half of his problem toward the authority in his life.
Many of his restrictions were for the authority in his life, and not for him, and he knew it.

I treated him as an equal, he was very bright and mainly owing to the remote location.
LONELY
We did all the " bigbrother" or "father son" things things.
shot the pellet gun
played video games
went fishing
played guitar
had the odd second double double helping of ice cream...
let him pick the movies
The grand parents still have me as a house guest for fishing and hunting
and they tell me he really looks forward to it
and so do I
because he teaches me stuff he has learned and he is excellent company
( this makes him really happy)
IMHO
he was VERY reactive to BS
and he was getting handed loads of it because of his disfunctional familly
so they put him on the ritalin because he stood up to it
of course his druggy (non custodial) father liked the ritalyn too
A handful of families like that keep a lot of people employed in very nice paying jobs
where you never actually have to produce results to justify the pay.
and that is part of the problem too

very little if any was about curing the kid.
let me say this:
EVERY success whether it was
ten pellets standing in the bull at 25 yards, open sights,
the 5.2 Lb black Bass,
learning a new heavy riff on the guitar
or kicking my butt in HALO or COD
resulted in him behaving like a responsible adult for days

point being
there is no pill for lonely

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

The world needs more patient people like you.
Cheers!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Psychiatric meds? You have to be crazy to take those.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep
reply to post by Equinox99

No, you won't become dependent (mentally OR physically) on any psychedelics (where the hell did you read that garbage?) nor will you experience any 'comedown' related to the exhaustion of serotonin or dopamine reserves, most users report a solid 'afterglow' effect for days after a beneficial experience.

Stop spreading your ill researched crap regarding these substances.

Show's how ignorant you are. Where did I read that crap? I experienced it. I used to do MDMA and other illicit drugs for recreational purposes. And YES it does make you dependent. Why the hell would you want to feel wonderful for 5 hours and quit altogether?

Where the hell did you read that garbage? You don't feel a solid afterglow for days. It stays in your body for 1 day max and if you don't sleep you just feel depressed and like a sketchbag.

EDIT: I also wanted to add this. People think marijuana doesn't leave you addicted, but I assure you it does. It is similar to heavily drinking, in a sense. If you smoke pot everyday and you try to quit many people fail. They fail because they need weed to help them take the boredom out of life.

Essentially, that is what it comes down to. If you have a boring life and you start doing MDMA, weed, drinking, and etc., you become dependent for the feeling you get. The feeling of Euphoria.

So why would someone want to give that up? That is the main reason people continue the abuse of these drugs, to reach the same euphoric state they experienced their first time.

BTW, experience beats reading other people's thorough research.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Originally posted by ballsdeep
reply to post by Equinox99

No, you won't become dependent (mentally OR physically) on any psychedelics (where the hell did you read that garbage?) nor will you experience any 'comedown' related to the exhaustion of serotonin or dopamine reserves, most users report a solid 'afterglow' effect for days after a beneficial experience.

Stop spreading your ill researched crap regarding these substances.

Show's how ignorant you are. Where did I read that crap? I experienced it. I used to do MDMA and other illicit drugs for recreational purposes. And YES it does make you dependent. Why the hell would you want to feel wonderful for 5 hours and quit altogether?

Where the hell did you read that garbage? You don't feel a solid afterglow for days. It stays in your body for 1 day max and if you don't sleep you just feel depressed and like a sketchbag.

EDIT: I also wanted to add this. People think marijuana doesn't leave you addicted, but I assure you it does. It is similar to heavily drinking, in a sense. If you smoke pot everyday and you try to quit many people fail. They fail because they need weed to help them take the boredom out of life.

Essentially, that is what it comes down to. If you have a boring life and you start doing MDMA, weed, drinking, and etc., you become dependent for the feeling you get. The feeling of Euphoria.

So why would someone want to give that up? That is the main reason people continue the abuse of these drugs, to reach the same euphoric state they experienced their first time.

BTW, experience beats reading other people's thorough research.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

Wow you're calling me ignorant and you're the one who abused the # out of mdma?
Sure mdma will deplete your dopamine reserves and have you feeling like crap for a day or two (assuming you're ignorant and didn't preload beforehand/postload after and did it every weekend so you end up with burnt sticks for serotonin receptors). MDMA is actually a very very powerful 'empathogen' and can be used extremely effectively in the treatment of a very wide rang of MH issues (PTSD for starters). As far as psychedelics are concerned, yes there is an afterglow, it's there because you made very important mental and existential breakthroughs during the time the drug was active and as a result your life has improved. How do I know this? Because I've done it all, time and time again; and helped as many people as many times as I've helped myself through the responsible and structured application of these substances in a theraputic setting, I've even seen psilocybin totally cure a 16 year old girl's anorexia.

Shut up.

Edit - also we're discussing MH treatments here not the stupid positions people wind up in because of all the CRAP DISINFO the war on drugs has forced down our throats; the experience of a moronic recreational drug user such as yourself does not beat actual medical research when we're discussing an entirely medical issue, and even if it did - my experience beats yours.
edit on 14-12-2010 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Drugs aren't always good to do but a lot of the drugs I've done, I'm glad I had them there to do when I did them because I had stuff to "deal with"...srsly.

I do NOT advocate alcohol or drugs like coke and heroine. I'm not one to mess around with so much as x but have had plenty of great experiences with mushrooms, acid and weed that i could never ever ever regret.. It's important to not make a habit out of weed though I believe. Sometimes it can be just the ticket but times when you can do without and feel good, you should... you should explore where sobriety takes you. Not to mention when you do it again you will have more fun with it. I like to ration weed though and have a steady supply. That's not good. I have to break away from that or do without. If you have pain I'm all for it if it helps so long as you're not just making excuses. It simply makes some people feel a hell of a lot better.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

If the teenage daughter is on the medications, too, then that probably means that her disorder was handed down to her by her mother. That's my best guess.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I really regret being prescribed antipsychotics - I first got prescribed them 17 years ago and have tried many times to come off them, but always relapsed very quickly. I've now found out that this can be because of withdrawal side-effects (although of course my psych's were always quick to say it was the original illness coming back).

I am now trying to come off them extremely slowly using the guidance of The Harm Reduction Guide to Coming off Psychiatric Drugs published by the Icarus Project.

theicarusproject.net...

(page is a bit 'scrambled' as you will see cos i think they got hacked but the download still works fine).

However, I now understand that as antipsychotics can actually change the way the brain works and even shrink it, it may not now be possible to totally get off them. The situation totally sucks. (Incidentally, I am now diabetic because of taking them).

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
i only read through the first page of replies but i think in some cases they are necessary. i definitely think they are over prescribed! i have suffered from depression and have tried several things. i've been in therapy and finding a good therapist can be a real pain in the ass. the few meds i have tried didn't seem to do much at all however the one i am currently on saved my ass. i don't like that i have a sort of "dull" feeling now but it's a hell of a lot better than crying every day. do i worry about it's side effects? yes. i definitely worry about what it might be doing to me that i don't know or understand but on the flip side it has saved my life. therapy alone wasn't going to work fast enough. i don't want to be on it forever but i'm going to continue on it for at least a year.

i do not ever recommend taking any rx for mental health issues without combining therapy.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Okay I go both ways for Antipsychotic drugs I am for them and I am aganist them here are my reasons why:

Why I am for Antipsychotic drugs the pros:

1. It helps make a person with any type of mental illness more stable.

Why I am aganist Antipsychotic drugs the cons:

1. Easier to control a person.
For example: When you have a mentally ill person doped on so much meds they hardly do anything sleep more, zombielike, or you tell them what to do and they will listen since they are so doped up, etc.

2. Doctors prescribing more meds to anyone else other then mentally ill just to make more money. $$$

3. Adverse affects by overdrugging someone with many illness.
For example you are treating someone with Paranoid Schizophrenia and Depression and Anixtey and you put them on all sorts of drugs say one drug knocks out the depression so that person still feels depressed. Also adverse affects of drugs I'm taking about when you take Antipsychotics they usually include weight gain, and much more etc. That is probably why people with mental illness chose not to take their drugs since many things go on when they are on them.

My opinon on this topic of Pyschotic Meds

edit on 4-3-2012 by Dare3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join