It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about psychiatric meds?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I just want to pick ya'all's brains on this, those of you with experience especially.

What do you think of psychiatric medications, such as SSRIs and atypical antipsychotics?

I know it's kind of a broad question. My concerns revolve around whether they put you out of touch with your "true self" or "instinctual core" or spirituality. But really any opinions/experiences related to meds I would love to hear.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think they're just dandy for taking an already "abnormal" neurological structure and biochemical makeup and making it much more deranged. It also seems to work wonders for doing a lobotomy without actually digging into someone's skull, although the process may take some time.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm a supporter for them in some cases. Lithium for those with schizophrenia is very helpful. I also know mood stabilizers used to tranquilize patients is also very good. One person I know uses tranquilizers and antidepressants and its whats keeping her happy and calming her down. People who are naturally high strung so much so that they are a hazard to themselves really do appreciate these medication.

I do believe that not everyone is meant, or needs drugs. Drugs should be a last resort. Always use therapy first.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Please note that you seem to be implying that all drugs are pharmaceuticals. It's my belief that only ignorant people would choose to take a synthetic compound like those found in pharmaceuticals, and plug it into their "system" in a vein attempt to get well. It may treat the symptoms, but it's not really doing your body/mind good. Want evidence? Try to go off them without serious complications. You're likely to be worse off than when you began treatment. Very few who go on RX are able to go off. There's always a better natural therapy, imo.
edit on 13-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
BS;

did u really need 2 ask?

reply to post by NewlyAwakened

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

In my personal experience the only one worth a damn is lithium and it takes some time to get the amount perfected to do what it should and not overdose the person. Some of these drugs I think the government just overdoses children with, especially those in foster care programs. I saw and experienced it first hand. I cannot for the life of me understand why they need children to be so drugged and in a stupor that they cannot even respond. Oh wait yes I can... My advice is " Get a second opinion "

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

How would you naturally treat a paranoid delusional schizophrenic? Lithium is a naturally occurring element, and Canadian law classifies any natural therapies in a different category. And actually there are certain drug therapies which people do go off. Adivan, a tranquilizer is one such drug. When ever I fly with this friend of mine with Sever claustrophobia, she takes an adivan and does not have panic attacks. Believe me they have been through the natural course and have not had anything come from it EVERYONE is different so what may not work for you might work for someone else. I'll stick to my drugs, I have severe migraines and take T3's no natural method will get rid of my pain. I've tried.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I'd treat a natural paranoid schizophrenic with natural high doses of specific nutrients. It's worked for 10,000+ so far! I'd also be sure to check their dietary habits for any possible food allergies. An elimination diet seems to work wonders for most schizophrenics. It's been observed that a large percentage of schizophrenics get well after taking very large doses of niacin and ascorbic acid.

As for the T3's, I trust you understand these are quite hepatoxic. You're not curing anything, you're just numbing the chemical pathways that allow you to know that something is wrong with your body.

Lithium is a natural element; a mineral. The problem with supplementing with minerals is the headroom between an effective dose and a lethal dose is quite low. I'd suggest using lithium as a last resort.
edit on 13-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Have you ever tried Keppra for those migraines ? I have a friend with terrible migraines and she takes aspirin, acetominophen and drinks caffiene with it. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, it's about a 50/50 shot. My daughter has epilepsy and is taking Keppra so I asked the Neurologist if bipolar and epilepsy have ever been found to be related and she said that bipolar,epilepsy and migraine have all been shown to be related... So I am thinking possibly some of the same medications may be useful in all three...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
They totally screw up a persons ability to access the mystical.
They allow a person to be manipulated more easily
People seem to think what they choose to imagine is real
According to a British study.
One in 20 guaranteed to commit a violent felony...

In the case of thyroid problems for example
where they proscribe Lthium I think its vitamin D that fixes the problem
but nooo
lets frankenbrain em with a chemical lobotomy.

edit on 13-12-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

link   
Much BS. The past history of psychiatry is a road that does not deserve a poor comparasion to any other in existence to "share its blame" with. Be as cold and clinical with it, as it is judgmental and deliberately misleading. judge as you will be judged. I will say that practitioners of psychiatry certainly have been to fault for a horrible amount of atrocities, and I refuse to believe that the system who educates them and places their bar of expectations for them, does so in a realistic manner. The goal is curing, not controlling, manipulating, and experimenting. It's such an exploited field. Look at the fight we, most of us, have to assert and attain our human dignity. Welcome to the profession that gets its daily jollies from trampling on that.

I say very rare and precious is the practicing psychiatrist that I would ever agree with the methods of.

link   
Anyone reading this thread. please remain on your medication.

Never take health advise from other people suffering from paranoid delusions, trust your doctor over some random fool on ATS telling you that there's an herbal remedy.

Shame on the lot of you, god forbid they hurt someone else as a result of your retarded advise advocating them to stop taking them.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think that they do a good job when they're prescribed to people who actually need them. The problem is that I believe that they are way over-prescribed.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

No, shame on you for all the assumptions you just made!

Is there a single person in this thread that's advised anyone to go off their meds?

I actually stated the dangers of doing so fairly clearly.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Show me your double blind study (is it a placebo effect?) .... And that's 10,000+ individuals out of? What was their medical history and severity of schizophrenia mild? Delusional, catatonic, Paranoid?

Yes I know quite well what they do and I take them because no doctor can figure out why I'm in constant pain and why I get migraines for days sometimes weeks. They give me them so that I can function.

Again I stress medication is a personal choice that works for some and not for others sometimes the medicated way works better than the natural. I suffered through depression the unmedicated way but pain wise I medicate as well as tranquilize because I'm OCD and anxious.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

Yes all you Columbinians that wanna shoot up a school...
by all means
insanity is caused by a lack of lithium....

America Over-Dosed:
The Role Of Anti-Depressants
In The Columbine Tragedy
& Other Bizarre Killings

www.erichufschmid.net...

according to big pharma yes having money is the root of all disease
edit on 13-12-2010 by Danbones because: bad spelling caused by a lack of lithium

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Tough question. I had a break 16 years ago. The meds helped calm some of the symptoms, but the root of the problem had to be addressed through therapy and constant introspection. I have read David Burns book "Feeling Good", which lays out a plan for cognitive therapy that incorportates writing down your thoughts and feelings and qualifying them. It works like a champ. A person's thought patterns have to undergo an unlearning of unhealthy ways and a relearning of healthy behavior. More often than not, a fundamental change has to occur in a person's situation (i.e. a super stressful job or an unhealthy relationship where you are being abused, etc), in order for any healing to occur.

The meds have their place in certain situations, but are not the end all and be all. I, personally would rather to not have to take them. I have put a lot of work into it and have a long way to go. A psychiatrist told me one time, "it took 21 years of living to get sick, this will not be undone in 2 or 3 years". These words hold true. In my experience, I had to 1) go thorugh the grieving process of losing everything, 2) admit to and identifying my issues, 3) figure out which ones I had control over and which ones I did not, 4) unlearn any behaviors, habits or thoughts that were triggers, 5) minimize or eliminate contact with any people who contributed to these issues when possible, 6) relearn better thought processes and behaviors. Not to mention the biggest part this process is the day to day maintenance. We are creatures of emotion. It is not like you can erase a hard drive and load a fresh OS to the computer. It is not easy and I still have a long way to go. My thoughts go out to anyone fighting a mental illness.

I want to reiterate, do NOT go off your meds! Although my hope is to one day be free of them, about eleventy billion things have to take place in my personal growth for this to happen. Then again it may never happen. Go to your psychiatrist and therapist, listen, talk, learn and grow.
edit on 13-12-2010 by hooptie because: added stuff

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

I'll be the one person who will probably support you on this. I just want to know where all the people advocating anti drug therapies for all got their medical degree?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Psychiatric meds?
Big problem with them.
Doctors are prescribing them to almost everyone.
Why bother with any kind of self direction when you can get meds to solve your outlook on life?
One lady I know claims to be impossible to live with without her meds.
People who know her verify this.
Lately her teen age daughter also was put on these meds.
What is wrong with people today?

It is rather suspicious, that these problems didn't seem to arrise until big pharma began soliciting
takers via their TV advertisements.

Is it the poisons in the food and water that is wasting their brains? or what?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Do the research yourself. I'll point you in the correct direction. They're not "my" studies. I didn't run them and don't own them or whatever.

Search "orthomolecular therapy". Be sure to pass through all the propaganda to get an objective viewpoint. Once you search deep enough, you'll find there's not a chance in hell that the often miraculous recoveries have anything to do with a placebo effect.

Here's a video to get you started. Dr Hoffer treated thousands of patients successfully. He practiced what he preached, and took a lot of nutritional supplements. He finally passed away recently in his 90's. I've simply posted this stuff too many times in the past. I'm slightly under the weather and am not motivated enough to do all the research at the moment. At least I'm honest with you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join